Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ice bridge between Greenland and Iceland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters

I am not an expert and rarely post but today on the sea ice map I noticed what seemed to be a bridge of ice connecting Greenland and Iceland.  In previous years this has been discussed by regular users of Net Weather forum although not actually observed.  I know it was a regular feature many years ago but when did this last happen?.   Will this be the start of a new trend as we seem to be entering a new Grand Solar Minimum.  I would like to see some discussion on this as there seems to be no winter thread running now.  If you are out there Born from the voiid or anyone did you see the ice map today.        

Sorry there one seems to be no ice bridge looking at the same site a few minutes ago.  Nothing to see here please move along.

The ice along the east coast of Greenland has extended beyond the season average red line in recent weeks however.  I can't explain the sudden change on the NSIDC.

Edited by Blozzel
  • Like 2

Posted

I think it can just be a temporary high concentration of broken ice which is enough to qualify as ice cover for a while, though if it was only shown very briefly maybe a bad reading.
I don't think solid  ice bridge  has ever been a commonplace thing but someone will probably be able to list winters when it occurred.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

@Blozzel The ADS website provides higher resolution extent and concentration images and would be better for spotting any potential ice bridge
https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop.ver1/vishop-monitor.html?N

• Like 1

Posted

The Icelandic weather service does a weekly chart of the distance to the ice field off Greenland. No bridge apparent on there.

672._large.png

http://www.vedur.is/photos_ll/seaice/2017/672._large.png

http://www.vedur.is/hafis/tilkynningar

PS .. I don't know what the blocks represent.

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, 4wd said:

I think it can just be a temporary high concentration of broken ice which is enough to qualify as ice cover for a while, though if it was only shown very briefly maybe a bad reading.
I don't think solid  ice bridge  has ever been a commonplace thing but someone will probably be able to list winters when it occurred.

There's a PDF of pages from an old book on the link I provided. It shows the ice bridges for nearly a hundred years. The most recent years at the bottom.

http://www.vedur.is/media/hafis/frodleikur/is_koch_hlynur_1877-1968.pdf

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
14 hours ago, Blozzel said:

I am not an expert and rarely post but today on the sea ice map I noticed what seemed to be a bridge of ice connecting Greenland and Iceland.  In previous years this has been discussed by regular users of Net Weather forum although not actually observed.  I know it was a regular feature many years ago but when did this last happen?.   Will this be the start of a new trend as we seem to be entering a new Grand Solar Minimum.  I would like to see some discussion on this as there seems to be no winter thread running now.  If you are out there Born from the voiid or anyone did you see the ice map today.        

Sorry there one seems to be no ice bridge looking at the same site a few minutes ago.  Nothing to see here please move along.

The ice along the east coast of Greenland has extended beyond the season average red line in recent weeks however.  I can't explain the sudden change on the NSIDC.

Hello, Spring 1968 a bridge of quite extensive ice sheet connected parts of NW coastal line of Iceland to Greenland and allowed Polar bears to cross. Extensive ice was prominent again in late Feb 1969, this period coincided with a run of Polar Lows into Britain embedded in some very cold upper air mass that month, however unlikely to be caused by the extensive ice push south at the end of that decade.

C

• Like 2