Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any idea what's causing this CO2 etc. plume @480+ppm?

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

From the NASA fire chart, looks like there's a cluster of wildfires in that location.
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/?x=130.03125&y=-18.731250000000003&z=6&g=g&v=6&r=1&i=nw&l=ad,ct

If you switch between the timeframes and data sources you'll see quite a large number of fires over the last week.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks BFTV, Flicking through the timeframes on the earth.nullschool.net atmospheric chem view in the Northern territories and Western  Australian outback there are several ongoing SO2 plumes at surface level, but only the one I indicated had high CO and CO2 levels too - I guess there must have been a lot of old standing Eucalyptus timber burning, relative to the other sites, where they were likely to be predominantly bushfires on younger, shorter growth nearer to the ground where the sulphur sources would be found.

Posted

Just a quick question on the map my area of the world is sitting at about 410ppm CO2. What would have been the levels a year ago..

I ask this  as after a fairly cool spring especially at night we have just had about 5 nights now with temperatures well above 6c and growth is taking off especially clover which responds even more to high CO2 levels and is now fixing nitrogen and therefore boosting grass growth and colour. The last 4 springs have been so cool at night that clover has failed to grow properly until later in the summer . This spring certainly looks different across the farm tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

Northernlights, you can just change the year in the date field of the page at EarthWindMap to get the archive a year ago - it was around 400ppm:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/05/10/0130Z/chem/surface/level/overlay=co2sc/orthographic=-350.29,49.02,3000/loc=-3.692,57.647

moray 1.png