Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tenerfie microclimates

Posted

Hello all,

So I am currently on holiday in the south of tenerife, near to play de las Americas and unfortunately have been plagued by cloud that has seemingly been trapped around the resort, clinging to the S/SW of Mt Tiede whilst the rest of the cloud dispates throughout the day.

Winds hve been coming from a NE direction so I am guessing this may be why.

Having done a bit of research about the microclimates of Tenerife it seems that this is quite uncommon.

I have essentially made this thread to try and learn a bit more about why this happens, and also if any of you know what direction winds I would be looking for to get more sunshine here in my remaining 5 days and if anyone could give me a rough idea of what to expect over the next 5 days.

I apologise in advance if this thread is in the wrong area.

38 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Hello all,

So I am currently on holiday in the south of tenerife, near to play de las Americas and unfortunately have been plagued by cloud that has seemingly been trapped around the resort, clinging to the S/SW of Mt Tiede whilst the rest of the cloud dispates throughout the day.

Winds hve been coming from a NE direction so I am guessing this may be why.

Having done a bit of research about the microclimates of Tenerife it seems that this is quite uncommon.

I have essentially made this thread to try and learn a bit more about why this happens, and also if any of you know what direction winds I would be looking for to get more sunshine here in my remaining 5 days and if anyone could give me a rough idea of what to expect over the next 5 days.

I apologise in advance if this thread is in the wrong area.

I go to Tenerife a lot for hiking , you're unlucky on your wind vector as trade winds and associated clouds and rain usually affect the Porto Cruz side as the tiede massive protects the south from this , you are in the sunniest part of the island so stick with it 8) 

Tenerife

Fri 21:00, Mostly Cloudy

°C|°F

Precip: 23%

Humidity: 75%

Wind: 13 mph

23:00

04:00

09:00

14:00

19:00

FRI

24°

20°

SAT

24°

20°

SUN

24°

20°

MON

24°

20°

TUE

24°

19°

WED

24°

19°

THU

25°

20°

FRI

26°

20°

SAT

24°

20°

SUN

24°

19°

More on weather.com

Feedback

Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

I go to Tenerife a lot for hiking , you're unlucky on your wind vector as trade winds and associated clouds and rain usually affect the Porto Cruz side as the tiede massive protects the south from this , you are in the sunniest part of the island so stick with it 8) 

Tenerife

Fri 21:00, Mostly Cloudy

°C|°F

Precip: 23%

Humidity: 75%

Wind: 13 mph

23:00

04:00

09:00

14:00

19:00

FRI

24°

20°

SAT

24°

20°

SUN

24°

20°

MON

24°

20°

TUE

24°

19°

WED

24°

19°

THU

25°

20°

FRI

26°

20°

SAT

24°

20°

SUN

24°

19°

More on weather.com

Feedback

Cheers Mok, it does seem to be a bit brighter today with more of a WNW wind, hoping as the day goes on the cloud will break up a bit more and Tiede won't be such a curse. Where abouts do you hike as I am off up around Tiede on Tuesday.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Anoying just been on Los gigantes web cam , there's a hell of a lot of cloud out west  :sorry:

Thinking about going on a bike ride somewhere tomorrow, do you know any areas that may be more sunny? don't mind travelling a while.

17 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Thinking about going on a bike ride somewhere tomorrow, do you know any areas that may be more sunny? don't mind travelling a while.

Are you a keen cyclist ? Head up the road to villafloor and on into las canadas pretty much guaranteed sunshine up there tough climb on a bike though .

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Are you a keen cyclist ? Head up the road to villafloor and on into las canadas pretty much guaranteed sunshine up there tough climb on a bike though .

I'm not a big cyclist but enjoy getting out when I can, what do you know about Arona/Escalona, are they high enough so you think?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Possibly pushing 1000 m mark worth a shot 

Think I may make it vilaflor just to be safe 1400m should be fine I would imagine, the cloud seems to be fairly low

• Like 1

Posted

What are those spiral patterns in the cloud? They look a lot like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_eddy

Which are caused by upper level winds interacting with mountains, apparently. And they cause cloud to form on the coasts. It's a similar climate they form in, at the same time of year. Is it basically the same thing?

• Like 1

Posted

We go to Fuerteventura a couple of times a year. The NE trade winds predominately affect the Canaries. So to get cloudy conditions on the Southern side of Tenerife prob means you are getting winds off the Atlantic from a Westerly influence.

Posted

If you've the legs head up into the crater, almost guaranteed deep blue skies! It's a long slog up but worth it. I've done the double a couple of times, up into the crater, down to the north coast then return, monster ride.

I've been many times to both south Tenerife and Gran Canaria and have encountered the cloud you mention many times. In my opinion it's next to impossible to forecast and very annoying, seemingly forming in small areas over and over again. Watching the radar is amazing at times!

We were in Mogan on GC end May beginning June for 2 weeks and the second week was superb with almost unbroken sunshine. A friend was where you are at the same time and had 2 full day's of cloud in that second week.

A few times when it's been cloudy on Tenerife, we have jumped in the car and driven into the crater and hiked. I love the blue sky and the light.

Fingers crossed it gets better))

Posted

I have a weather App on my iphone (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name on here) which is canny. I have several locations on the Canaries stored, Adeje and Puerto Mogan on GC. The cloud radars are very good, some incredible loops of the, I think, low level clouds.

Posted

Thanks for the replies guys, yes it does seem very hard to forecast, this evening we hve lost the low cloud and it has hve way to a beautiful evening,

16 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

I have a weather App on my iphone (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name on here) which is canny. I have several locations on the Canaries stored, Adeje and Puerto Mogan on GC. The cloud radars are very good, some incredible loops of the, I think, low level clouds.

Does the app you talk of accurately predict this low cloud do you know?