Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arctic melt Season 2018

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Ed...

The central Arctic basin has been chosen due to its very slow growth this year.

The normal measure used for the comparison is the Northern hemisphere sea ice. (see BFTV post above).

This  is chosen because it eliminates any weather conditions which may increase ice in one part, whilst decreasing it in another. 

This year the weather conditions have been extremely 'mild' in the Eastern arctic (Russian side), but conversely very 'chilly' on the Western side (in Greenland and the North Canadian areas).

This means, with most of the open sea water, being on the Eastern side of the area above 80 degrees that the ice extent will be low at this point. 

Note - I used the words 'mild' and 'chilly'. as in most areas it is still below freezing. 

Why bother to explain - Well Greenland, Beaufort and the CAA are above normal sea ice levels this year!

I would have been accused of cherry picking if I had produced a list of those three!!!!!

(see my link of Maisie  to BFTV above) for the actual data of these 3 regions.).

The real point I am making is that there is very little sea ice to be frozen in the Canadian Arctic and Greenland. That is where all the really cold air has been so far this ice re-growth season.

It clearly explains why the ice extent is low (so far) into the re-growth season. This is an effect of the SLP in the area.

However my major point to GW (and BFTV) is that

1) although ice extent levels are very low  (for this time of year), the volume is still in the bounds of the 2004 - 2013 levels. This means that somewhere must have increased thickness.

It is clearly showing up in the Central Arctic as one can see from the DMI ice volume and thickness graph. Just go back one day at a time for the 40 days to see it happening. 

2) That the ice regrowth is occurring. Even Wipneus has conceded that!

MIA

But, given our ability to read both graphics and their titles, what you say is by-the-by; no-one's saying that ice is melting where it isn't...IMO, you are making a mountain out of a molehill, in order to score a point...Though in reality, the way I see it, you are scoring an own goal?

• Thanks 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Rambo...

Use the zoom feature...  (up to 300 times!)

It is clearly increasing at reasonably average  rates as seen in the 2004 -2013 period.. 

MIA

I did zoom in, and I completely agree with you regarding the refreeze rate.

I just feel it could be a higher res to get a more precise refreeze rate, but only for the reason that anything "roughly" or "reasonably average" will get blasted by the usual suspects, and not taken as a true outcome!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

But, given our ability to read both graphics and their titles, what you say is by-the-by; no-one's saying that ice is melting where it isn't...IMO, you are making a mountain out of a molehill, in order to score a point...Though in reality, the way I see it, you are scoring an own goal?

Ed

So..

Ignore anything that doesn't fit the agenda it is then..:whistling:

Lets wait until the end of the ice regrowth season.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Ed

So..

Ignore anything that doesn't fit the agenda it is then..:whistling:

Lets wait until the end of the ice regrowth season.

MIA

You have an 'agenda'? Why am I not the least bit surprised!;)

• Thanks 1