Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 26/03/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

I must admit I don't mind the prospect of plenty of rain,just for a week or so. My allotment is quite dry and my new butt needs filling. 

The cold looks like being a problem though.Hopefully it will become much warmer and sunnier in 10 days or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
5 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I must admit I don't mind the prospect of plenty of rain,just for a week or so. My allotment is quite dry and my new butt needs filling. 

The cold looks like being a problem though.Hopefully it will become much warmer and sunnier in 10 days or so.

Careful mentioning that out in public places :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
47 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Your allotment is dry?? Where is it, lol? 

Posted
14 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Your allotment is dry?? Where is it, lol? 

Its in Wimbledon mate. Yes,even though it seems to have been raining/snowing alot my rain guage has measured 124mm since Jan 1st,which isnt a huge amount,soil very sandy too. Need a good dollop of rain now and then about six weeks dry sunny warm weather. Spuds going in week after next.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

:doh::laugh:

hirlamuk-1-41-0.png

hirlamuk-1-42-0.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Its in Wimbledon mate. Yes,even though it seems to have been raining/snowing alot my rain guage has measured 124mm since Jan 1st,which isnt a huge amount,soil very sandy too. Need a good dollop of rain now and then about six weeks dry sunny warm weather. Spuds going in week after next.

Wow, that’s amazing as you’re not far away. My allotment is very damp. Had loads of rain and snow here. Deffo could do with some warm sun!! Happy growing 

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Wow, that’s amazing as you’re not far away. My allotment is very damp. Had loads of rain and snow here. Deffo could do with some warm sun!! Happy growing 

DSC_0295.thumb.JPG.b6694ae4b7e5db7c14436a2103051328.JPG

Though to be fair my rain guage is not state of the art! LoL Amazing what you can do with an empty pop bottle and a pole.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Woke early, to the sound of pitter-pattering raindrops. It's strange but when I'm still in "snow-chasing" mind-set, I pay little attention, to current weather forecasts. But just having looked at the latest FAX charts, it looks an unsettled couple of days coming up, as we head towards Good Friday.

I'll return to the weather, a little later ,once the overnight runs are in.

Just wanted to comment on problems mentioned by the Forum Team, yesterday. I must admit, it's been "getting my goat up". (Sorry, no pun intended)

I PM'd a Forum Host, last night and mentioned that I was always under the impression that this thread was "community based" and on that basis, it was perfectly in order to talk about, one's home life, etc. But that doesn't seem to be the case anymore!

I know one female member, who like me has been coping with her own illness and family bereavement and no doubt, like myself, finds it therapeutic, to post on here, about her daily life.

I've been a member of tis forum, since 2005 and have always tried to post , informatively about the weather, especially in the Winter months. My pet subject being the dynamics of Snow Streamers, throughout the region but especially the Thames variety.You won't see much of me on here, during the Summer months,, as I'm still somewhat of a Brontophobe and chasing humid, thundery weather, doesn't "float my boat". Our house is relatively small and in moderately warm weather becomes uncomfortable and leaves me even more fatigued, after my stroke.

I really hope the "powers that be", from their comments made yesterday, don't end up turning this thread over to the "domain" of "keyboard bullies" and those that just want to post banal. inane and often "smutty one-liners, it would be a great shame!! If that's the case, I'll limit my posting, to other threads!!

Anyway, in NON-RELATED weather news (Those of you that don't want to read any further, LOOK AWAY NOW!!)

"George the builder" ( Apologies to Bob!!), has made rapid progress in adapting our bathroom/toilet, to a Wet Room and we now have a fully, functioning toilet!! George should have the shower unit installed, by tomorrow, with the flooring being done on Thursday.

My wife, Colette, spurred on by the "doggy bag" I brought home for her, from my Niece's meal, the other day, made a fabulous dinner, last night, "Gnocchi con polpette al forno" ( Oven baked Gnocchi with meatballs). It was a fantastic effort for someone who hasn't cooked much Gnocchi, before!!

Hope you all enjoy your day. (Well most of you, anyway.)

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Woke up to rain and a tv forecast that mentions progressively mild weather through the easter period, real shame, was hoping for a white one.

Posted

Looking at the 00z runs so far, ( ECM running a bit late), suggest a ridge of high pressure, nudging down SE, from heights over Greenland, turning it cooler/colder than of late. But any threat of snow, looking confined to the north of the UK, at the moment. Very cold northerly flow into Scotland, by Easter Monday.

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

For us here, in the SE,  after an unsettled, mild-ish few days, it then looks to become more settled but colder, for the Easter weekend. ECM, just rolling out now.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

"For us here, in the SE,  after an unsettled, mild-ish few days, it then looks to become more settled but colder, for the Easter weekend. ECM, just rolling out now".

ECM suggesting Easter Weekend still unsettled  but becoming more settled but colder, on Easter Monday.

ECM1-144.GIF

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted

Cold drenching rain. Think i want some warmth now if i am to be honest. Ok i am closing my winter view. Snow is pointless in april. Frosts do more damage than good for all the growers above. I will give this winter a 6 out of 10 maybe touch 6.5 for the last hurrah in march and april. The failed outbreaks of true cold frustrated us always looking at fi never getting to the reliable time frame until the beast from the east. My daughter has now ridden a sled altho perhaps the coldest day of the week at end of feb wjen wind chill was bone chilling. I love chasing thunderstorms and hot weather. Sad that we never quite got the holy grail. But then again has 2010 weeks eraded memories of 1991 and 87.... see you all for the first thunderstorm or 20-25 degree heat. Oh and @TomSE12 keep telling the stories i enjoy them. See you nexttime 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
10 minutes ago, trumpage said:

Met office are predicting a possible snow event.  Possibly a covering on the higher parts of the Chilterns????

Screenshot (17).png

Looks like High Wycombe with that bit of elevation probs best place - if it was happening overnight maybe a covering ? Look at those temps though many a previous Xmas warmer than that ! 

Posted

They were going for mild weekend on the mad thread at 10am.

Now they going for cold at 11.30am.

Me off to Berlin for easter for some nice german beer and sausage.

Forecasting 5c and sleet there at weekend.

Posted

Dry, now after early rain, with cloud starting to break up .Still models seem to be uncertain, about the Easter weekend.

Just returned home after a Physio session at Orpington hospital's, Neuro-Rehab Gym. Session went very well , the most tiring aspect of the morning, was the walk from the bus-stop, up the steep hill, to the hospital.

Going to start having two Physio sessions a week, from the end of April, to strengthen muscles and help to increase, stamina levels.

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Dry, now after early rain, with cloud starting to break up .Still models seem to be uncertain, about the Easter weekend.

Just returned home after a Physio session at Orpington hospital's, Neuro-Rehab Gym. Session went very well , the most tiring aspect of the morning, was the walk from the bus-stop, up the steep hill, to the hospital.

Going to start having two Physio sessions a week, from the end of April, to strengthen muscles and help to increase, stamina levels.

Regards,

Tom.

Oh Tom, I know that hill well, I only live a couple of minutes away - it's a steep one! (The R11 bus takes you up the hill to the front door of the hospital)

Bored with this chilly weather now, very much looking for some warmth!

Edited by EWS
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is there really a chance that it might snow tomorrow? It's nae easy, keeping up-to-date with the latest developments!:cc_confused:

Posted

As  Steve M., mentioned on the Mod thread, UKMO  12z, shows the chance of back-edge snow, as that low pulls away into the continent. That would then leave a pretty chilly, Easter Saturday and indeed a pretty nippy Easter Sunday/April Fools Day.

Regards,

Tom.

PS. And finally GFS, pretty similar.

Edited by TomSE12

Posted

ECM joins the party, by offering up a pretty chilly, Easter Weekend before turning it much milder, during Easter Monday.

ECM1-144.GIF

Regards,

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I get it, Tom...it's going to snow. Oh no it isn't! Oh yes it is! Oh no it isn't! Oh yes it is!:D

Posted

Not a bad day today with the rain clearing pretty quickly and then fairly decent afterwards, lets hope can get at least one decent day out of the Easter Weekend.