Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will this summer rival 2006.

Posted

With many parts of Scotland, including my area recording their hottest June days on record and much of the UK experiencing high temperatures for a while. Do you think this summer will rival 2006 if the heat lasts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Depends.

If the winds shift and a larger area of the country experiences true heat then possibly. If the wind stays as it is and the only places getting above 30C are Scotland, Ireland, Wales and parts of NW England then no, definitely not. Where most people live it hasn't been exceptionally hot at all.

Edited by cheese

Posted

We have to take into account that summer 2006 had a poor August. Its the July that this summer is primarily remembered for.

Based on basic numbers, this June has surpassed the June of 2006. It looks like having a higher CET and it certainly will be overall drier. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

I don't remember seeing the grass so brown here since 2006. If I'm remembering correctly I don't think the sunshine was as prolonged that year, it was basically only July whereas the last 6 weeks here have been glorious barring a couple of spells. Already rivalling 2003 here IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

2006 gave aprox 2 months of great sunny weather,what this year has given is aprox the same already if you include the great May we have had already.I don't ever remember it being so dry and brown grass at this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I think some people are underestimating June 06.

The CET pattern is probably more akin to 2003 and I don't think we'll get a 19C summer month however the weather patterns look more akin to 76 and 95 in particular.

Out of interest, what years have seen May-July periods with a CET in excess of 12.7, 15.5 and 17.7 for each.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I think 2018 is going to kick 2006 right in the backside. I can see a long spell of 30C days incoming based on recent model output is showing. The Azores just keeps on re-inforcing itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
9 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

I think some people are underestimating June 06.

The CET pattern is probably more akin to 2003 and I don't think we'll get a 19C summer month however the weather patterns look more akin to 76 and 95 in particular.

Out of interest, what years have seen May-July periods with a CET in excess of 12.7, 15.5 and 17.7 for each.

just a quick look for may,june,july and aug

1947 13.5   15.5   17   18.6

1959  12.8   15.2  17.3  17.2

1976  12.1  17  18.7  17.6

1989  13  14.6  18.2  16.6

1992  13,6  15.7  16.2  15.3

2003  12.1  16.1  17.6  18.3

2006  12.3  15.9  19.7  16