Jump to content
IGNORED

What temperature is your heating set to?


Lauren

Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: The North Kent countryside
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
  • Location: The North Kent countryside

Do you have it on a set temperature or do you turn it up and down? Do you have disagreements with other people in the house?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Coniston, Cumbria 90m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
  • Location: Coniston, Cumbria 90m ASL

We have Hive so easily adjustable time slots... When we're in and up we set to 18.5, when out or overnight set to 17...seems to work quite well... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Near Beverley, East Yorks. (5 metres a.s.l.)
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
  • Location: Near Beverley, East Yorks. (5 metres a.s.l.)

Set at 18 night and day on the  thermostat . 
Don't want the dog to get cold at night  

B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Mid Essex
  • Location: Mid Essex

Temperature is immaterial. Are you warm? If not wind it up or wind it down if too hot. 

Chances are your thermostat and or thermometer is wrong anyway.

What I consider is cold might not coincide with what you like.

If you cannot afford to warm your house to a comfortable temparature it is a real problem. But why heat your whole house to the ideal?  Heat a couple of rooms and close off those that are not used much. Not the ideal for most but a way of not wasting money heating accommodation that does not really need it 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: South Ockendon, Thurrock, SW Essex
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
  • Location: South Ockendon, Thurrock, SW Essex

I set my thermostat either at 18 Celsius or at 19 Celsius. The heating come on this morning when it was set at 17 Celsius.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Weston-S-Mare North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
  • Location: Weston-S-Mare North Somerset

We've got ours set to 20c when on, and have a min temp of 17c when it's not set, so we don't let the house get too cold. 

Edited by SteveB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: East Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
  • Location: East Yorkshire

No thermostat in the house so it's on or off, lit the fire for the first time in 10 days tonight as the whole house felt damp and chilly. The stove has an exposed stove pipe so the living room can get a little too hot but the rest of the house is just nicely warmed through.

Edited by NPUK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire / 110m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
  • Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire / 110m asl

18 usually 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Dorset
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
  • Location: Dorset

Mine is set to 19°C.
Heating comes on at 6pm and goes off just before midnight. I open the window at night and with that ENE wind this morning, bedroom temp was down to 16.5°C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: The North Kent countryside
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
  • Location: The North Kent countryside
9 hours ago, NPUK said:

No thermostat in the house so it's on or off, lit the fire for the first time in 10 days tonight as the whole house felt damp and chilly. The stove has an exposed stove pipe so the living room can get a little too hot but the rest of the house is just nicely warmed through.

So does the house just keep heating up and up until you turn it off or does it plateau?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Mid Essex
  • Location: Mid Essex
10 hours ago, NPUK said:

No thermostat in the house so it's on or off, lit the fire for the first time in 10 days tonight as the whole house felt damp and chilly. The stove has an exposed stove pipe so the living room can get a little too hot but the rest of the house is just nicely warmed through.

You could get an insulated stove pipe. 

Obviously I don’t know what your set up is.  

Does the fire roar away or gently tick over when turned right down?

Does the stove have a big fire bed? If yes you could always get fire bricks/boards to line back and side so fire burning is smaller.

Other things you might be able to do to get the temperatures right and circulate the heat.

Just some thoughts.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: East Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
  • Location: East Yorkshire
5 hours ago, Lauren said:

So does the house just keep heating up and up until you turn it off or does it plateau?

The boiler temp is set on the middle setting so when it reaches that it cuts out. No room stat though.

4 hours ago, Snipper said:

You could get an insulated stove pipe. 

Obviously I don’t know what your set up is.  

Does the fire roar away or gently tick over when turned right down?

Does the stove have a big fire bed? If yes you could always get fire bricks/boards to line back and side so fire burning is smaller.

Other things you might be able to do to get the temperatures right and circulate the heat.

Just some thoughts.

 

Double wall pipe through the wall but only single wall from stove to wall. The fire is quite manageable with the 2 vents, I can turn it right down. The stove is oversized really for the room but it nneeds to run 10 rads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Barnehurst nr Bexleyheath, Kent
  • Location: Barnehurst nr Bexleyheath, Kent

Husband likes the thermostat set to 20/21 degrees.  I'm one of those annoying people that either puts it down to 0 if it's too hot, or up to 30 if it's too cold.  Nowt inbetween for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
  • Location: Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

i have 2 furnaces one serves the main house one serves the basement..the main house is set to 20 but need to turn that down to 18 as its too warm at night unless its really cold outside..the basement thermostat is set to 16...my son basically lives there almost as a separate living space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Remote North Yorkshire 474ft ASL
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
  • Location: Remote North Yorkshire 474ft ASL

I don't have central heating just log and coal fires.

I wear a jumper until the fires get warm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Carvoeiro, The Algarve
  • Location: Carvoeiro, The Algarve

Our heating is set to come on at 7 in the morn until 9am. Then on timer to come on at 5.30 to go off at 9.30pm. Our heating thermostat is in living room ( not ideal) and set at 21c.

New individual controls on upstairs rads has helped regulate and balance.

If it gets cold in daytime during Winter and we're home just click the override to put heating on early. If not at home why bother? It is not like the sofa is crying out for warmth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Mid Essex
  • Location: Mid Essex
3 hours ago, NPUK said:

The boiler temp is set on the middle setting so when it reaches that it cuts out. No room stat though.

Double wall pipe through the wall but only single wall from stove to wall. The fire is quite manageable with the 2 vents, I can turn it right down. The stove is oversized really for the room but it nneeds to run 10 rads.

Bit difficult to control if no rad or other thermostats. 

My heating evolved from a Parkray insert stove heating the room and a few rads, which were installed 40 odd years ago. When we extended it was not capable of heating everything. We had an oil fired boiler installed but got plumber to connect the Parkray in as well. 

To be honest a nice fire is a good way to heat if you want to put up with the faff of making the fire up. Maintenance very low.  Feels much more cozy.

I installed a wall thermostat and fitted rad thermostats. 

Depending on what sort of stove you have a Stove Fan might suit you. Check out on Google.  Can’t use one with my stoves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Mid Essex
  • Location: Mid Essex
2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Our heating is set to come on at 7 in the morn until 9am. Then on timer to come on at 5.30 to go off at 9.30pm. Our heating thermostat is in living room ( not ideal) and set at 21c.

New individual controls on upstairs rads has helped regulate and balance.

If it gets cold in daytime during Winter and we're home just click the override to put heating on early. If not at home why bother? It is not like the sofa is crying out for warmth

I find it a constant balancing act. Everyone’s needs are different both during the day and at night. No one has right answer. 

Edited by Snipper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: East Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
  • Location: East Yorkshire
2 hours ago, Snipper said:

Bit difficult to control if no rad or other thermostats. 

My heating evolved from a Parkray insert stove heating the room and a few rads, which were installed 40 odd years ago. When we extended it was not capable of heating everything. We had an oil fired boiler installed but got plumber to connect the Parkray in as well. 

To be honest a nice fire is a good way to heat if you want to put up with the faff of making the fire up. Maintenance very low.  Feels much more cozy.

I installed a wall thermostat and fitted rad thermostats. 

Depending on what sort of stove you have a Stove Fan might suit you. Check out on Google.  Can’t use one with my stoves. 

Stove has a canopy so no room for fan. We have oil fired boiler linked with the stove but my wood is for free so 90% of the heating is from the stove. Probably need rad stats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Mid Essex
  • Location: Mid Essex
18 minutes ago, NPUK said:

Stove has a canopy so no room for fan. We have oil fired boiler linked with the stove but my wood is for free so 90% of the heating is from the stove. Probably need rad stats

Makes it easier to put up with problem if fuel is free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
  • Location: Cobham Surrey
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
  • Location: Cobham Surrey

21c , will have a log fire most days now - days of air conditioning seem a long way away for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...