Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Cold and snow is edging closer. Now into the day 9-11 range. Ensemble and means look good.

Give it another 24 to 48 hours to be sure.

I'll be giving it another 120hrs to be sure to be sure this is are isle your talking about and when it can go wrong it goes wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
20 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Cold and snow is edging closer. Now into the day 9-11 range. Ensemble and means look good.

Give it another 24 to 48 hours to be sure.

Yeah, GEFS still looking solid with the last third of the run below -5 850s on the mean. The Op takes a headstagger towards the end but recovers back cold after 2 days! 

graphe3_1000___-7.3_54.6_Omagh (3).gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Really hoping that change is coming. Not gonna get the hopes up yet but watching carefully! Sick of the endless grey lol.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Juuyoku said:

Really hoping that change is coming. Not gonna get the hopes up yet but watching carefully! Sick of the endless grey lol.

Endless days of not very much have been very, very boring.

Given the ENS I would be surprised if we don't see something really good later this month, hopefully starting around the 18th - 20th. Just need to actually see things getting closer in the models.

Posted

What a depressive dank day with the low cloud and its a pity considering how nice the morning was.... .Grrrrrrrr that cold needs to come fast! Not just cold, some sunshine!

Posted

I'm very happy with the last few weeks to be honest. Dry is what I am after in Winter and ideally with some sunshine. Sunshine has been down over the last 3 weeks, but rainfall is very low so all in all happy. Example from the Meteireann site shows Dublin Airport, last 3rd December and first week of January bone dry. I've even been able to clean up the garden earlier. Will be happy to see some snow but want it out of the way by mid February. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.635d6be09fa44d95fa3c570128a9390f.PNG

Posted

Hi folks

While the past 3 weeks have seemed very boring, mild and grey to most , it is still exceptional weather in its own right,  just as much as say December 2010 was exceptional for its cold and snow. It is really rare to get such a sustained dry spell in late December and early January which is traditionally one of the most unsetlled times of the year. Even more unusual is the fact that high pressure has sat over us for most of the period but yet it has been unusually mild with many places having not even seen a frost and some places only saw a glimpse of the sun yesterday for the first time in two weeks. Very strange and unusual goings on and not much change for the next 4 or 5 days. While many will be bored to death by this stage, nonetheless I think the record books in years to come will count this as an exceptional spell of weather in its own right.....

....and possibly an exceptional spell in an exceptional winter.....Why???.....Well I am now confident that a change is coming and looking at all the latest strat and ensemble data etc. I feel we will be extremely unlucky to miss out on a major cold spell as we go through this month and on in to February. In fact when this winter is done it could well be remembered as the winter of extremes with the exceptional rain and winds of the early period followed by the current extremely dry / mild and grey spell & hopefully the big freeze with lots of snow to come. It is like this winter is a slowly evolving wheel with patterns setting up for several weeks at a time. 

So chins up coldies ....the next phase of this winter is coming .....gradually turning more unsettled and colder next week before the descent in to winter proper with frost amd hopefully plenty of the white stuff to keep all the snow lovers in here happy....... 

Bottled Snow 

Edited by Bottled Snow
  • Like 3

Posted

I'm not a great fan of NWlys when it comes to delivering on snow and cold but it's much much better than the mild muck atm. As bottled snow says we are very likely  to be rewarded for our hardship either this month or next. Weather karma.

Edited by parrotingfantasist
  • Like 1

Posted

Surely Parrot living in Derry northwesterlies are the most likely to give you snow. Hopefully we’ll get our cold spell soon, and at the best time of the year for snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I do love a good NWesterly, however, it caved my shed in last January so still a bit bitter

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

I do love a good NWesterly, however, it caved my shed in last January so still a bit bitter

I would love my shed roof to cave in with snow... it would mean we got a lot of snow .....worry about the consequences later 

Posted

Very mild this am, insects flying outside.

Change starts next Wednesday as we finally start to see the decline of this slug high pressure. 

Winds will start to come from the NW with wintriness over the hills.

Through next weekend we hopefully see the transition to bitter cold and snow, however,  still no guarantee yet. 

Posted

Things definitely starting to look up could see some snow by the end of next week oil prices are lower than they have been for a while this winter so if you need a fill get it now for if there is cold coming they will push prices up save yourself a few pound before they do.

Topping mine up just in case the second half of winter turns out like the lrm are showing.

Posted

every day that passes is still generally day 10 for bitter cold. Im far from convinced by all this to be honest, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.

Would be good to get the snow/cold in a month earlier than last year. I remember last year it  snowed all night on the first night the beast arrived and we had 6 inches lying outside, during the morning it was still snowing heavily but was not building up. Must have got nearly two foot of snow during the whole cold spell but it never built up as it would have a month earlier.

20 miles up the road was a different story, they got smashed despite this with probably the heaviest snow build ups at low levels the whole island had seen in some time.

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Big upgrade on the Met Office T+144. Cold Northerly in bound on Wednesday of next week.

be nice but prob gone in morn 

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Well, the GFS couldn't be more different. Flat as a pancake.

the models are comical but good for a laugh so god knows what will happen though GFS could be right 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

the models are comical but good for a laugh so god knows what will happen though GFS could be right 

The ECM around half six will give us a clue.

Posted
16 hours ago, bobbarley said:

Surely Parrot living in Derry northwesterlies are the most likely to give you snow. Hopefully we’ll get our cold spell soon, and at the best time of the year for snow!

I prefer a good northerly or something really cold than a northwesterly which fails to deliver for lower elevations these past few years anyway.

But as I said  I'll always take a northwesterly right now and any time this whole Winter. Can always take a drive up elevation its not that difficult.  Just a stressful roll of the dice when it comes to uppers and shower activity

MetO has a cracking northerly too on their website. But will it be blown away as quick as it came?? Lets hope not. Daffodils are sprouting up, my snapdragons are still giving flowers, and I just seen the council out cutting the grass. Dreadful stuff for January...

Posted
54 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Big upgrade on the Met Office T+144. Cold Northerly in bound on Wednesday of next week.

Any precipitation to accompany it? We all want snow, cold just won’t cut it 

Posted
41 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

I prefer a good northerly or something really cold than a northwesterly which fails to deliver for lower elevations these past few years anyway.

But as I said  I'll always take a northwesterly right now and any time this whole Winter. Can always take a drive up elevation its not that difficult.  Just a stressful roll of the dice when it comes to uppers and shower activity

MetO has a cracking northerly too on their website. But will it be blown away as quick as it came?? Lets hope not. Daffodils are sprouting up, my snapdragons are still giving flowers, and I just seen the council out cutting the grass. Dreadful stuff for January...

Yup drove past council workers cutting grass today what the blue nope - still swearing!! Anyway we could be in for a cold shock to the system next week!!

• Like 1