Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Incoming Cold Spell Discussion - 28/01/2019 - 2/04/2019

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer

Is it correct to say that wherever the pivot point is, that that location will see significantly less precipitation than other areas 40-50 miles away? Has happened in the past. (This is re: Thursday/Fri)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, PsychedelicTony said:

Is it correct to say that wherever the pivot point is, that that location will see significantly less precipitation than other areas 40-50 miles away? Has happened in the past. (This is re: Thursday/Fri)

No. It would get the most.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Latest from Met 

Looks like 1-3 cm if you avoid the rain. Uncertainty still remains...

Edited by IDO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

It will sno in my teh garden pleez?

2lxszx.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, IDO said:

Latest from Met 

Looks like 1-3 cm if you avoid the rain. Uncertainty still remains...

Hardly worth the warnings, France is getting the heavy snow, as predicted as the low pressure system went too far South, typical, we miss out again. 

• Like 4

Posted
32 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Take precip charts with a pinch of salt, because I am sure it'll be different on the day.

Oh yeah, they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot most of the time! Still nice to look at though when they are showing snow!

Edited by ChezWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thread for a cold spell from 28/01 to 02/04. Wow that’s a long cold spell!

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Thread for a cold spell from 28/01 to 02/04. Wow that’s a long cold spell!

Merely being optimistic.  

In all seriousness could a mod fix it 04/02/2019 thanks. 

Posted

warnings for 1-3 cm snow ,didn’t Austria get upto 150 cm recently or something;they must be laughing their  heads off at us.

• Like 2

Posted

Sadly looks like there's nothing much to get overly excited about:

"...significant accumulations of snow are not expected to be widespread at lower levels."

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/2019/snow-and-ice-warnings-for-uk

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

warnings for 1-3 cm snow ,didn’t Austria get upto 150 cm recently or something;they must be laughing their  heads off at us.

the whole world is laughing at you..i would pleased to only get 1-3cm of snow..let alone have a warning about it

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

I suppose their damned if they do and damned if they don't. Snow is sufficiently rare here that any snowfall which amounts to a covering probably warrants a warning.

We all know what happens when we get snow - schools close, airports / trains disrupted, chaos on the roads. Then you get people trotting out the lines about "bloody hell they get 2 metres of snow in *Norway/Canada/Austria (*delete as appropriate) and they don't grind to a halt" - but I don't think that's entirely fair. Those countries must spend a huge amount on winter weather infrastructure and you can bet your bottom dollar the people moaning about their train being cancelled would be the same ones moaning if their local council spent millions of their council tax on a fleet of snowploughs which sat unused 95% of the time. I think we just have to accept that a bit of snow disrupts us for a day or so and for that reason I think the MO warning is fair - even for 30mm of snow

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

the situation with the trains in the Uk is so bad, we don't need 1-3cm of snow to get the trains cancelled

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
26 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I suppose their damned if they do and damned if they don't. Snow is sufficiently rare here that any snowfall which amounts to a covering probably warrants a warning.

We all know what happens when we get snow - schools close, airports / trains disrupted, chaos on the roads. Then you get people trotting out the lines about "bloody hell they get 2 metres of snow in *Norway/Canada/Austria (*delete as appropriate) and they don't grind to a halt" - but I don't think that's entirely fair. Those countries must spend a huge amount on winter weather infrastructure and you can bet your bottom dollar the people moaning about their train being cancelled would be the same ones moaning if their local council spent millions of their council tax on a fleet of snowploughs which sat unused 95% of the time. I think we just have to accept that a bit of snow disrupts us for a day or so and for that reason I think the MO warning is fair - even for 30mm of snow

Granted things here in Canada dont grind to halt with a few cms of snow..but they do if there is a hefty fall of snow..if only temporarily..its rare that a school closes..here in Edmonton kids are only allowed to have playtime inside if the temperature falls below -25c

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

typical France get the heavy snow fall it’s been the story of this jaffa cakes take of a winter   it’s also ridiculous I think to get a yellow warning for 2 3 cm of snow   also we were talking about powdery snow I find that powdery snow is that little bit colder than normal to snow if you know what I mean 

Edited by syed2878
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
2 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

Was wondering about that myself MS? 

Lookin at Weirpigs graphics above we will be peppered.

If it does snow a bit, does that warrant a yellow warning? If it snows a few cms in Derry, there will be disruption so worthy of a warning,  if it's just on hills/rural areas then no. Need to ask @Metoffice . They do say tonight/early Tues " looks like more of a glancing blow for NI now."  It's a tricky forecast. They won't have just forgotten. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
7 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

typical France get the heavy snow fall it’s been the story of this jaffa cakes take of a winter   it’s also ridiculous I think to get a yellow warning for 2 3 cm of snow 

They get the Gilets Jaunes warnings

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

If it does snow a bit, does that warrant a yellow warning? If it snows a few cms in Derry, there will be disruption so worthy of a warning,  if it's just on hills/rural areas then no. Need to ask @Metoffice . They do say tonight/early Tues " looks like more of a glancing blow for NI now."  It's a tricky forecast. They won't have just forgotten. 

Imho it does deserve a warning, they have the 4 square matrix to show potential impact etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
11 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Granted things here in Canada dont grind to halt with a few cms of snow..but they do if there is a hefty fall of snow..if only temporarily..its rare that a school closes..here in Edmonton kids are only allowed to have playtime inside if the temperature falls below -25c

It's partly mentality too. During last February's easterly, the Norwich manager Daniel Farke said that all the German and Swiss players turned up for training as normal, whereas all the English players sent him pictures of the snow in their drives. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Yarmy said:

It's partly mentality too. During last February's easterly, the Norwich manager Daniel Farke said that all the German and Swiss players turned up for training as normal, whereas all the English players sent him pictures of the snow in their drives. 

With their 4x4 sat on it

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

A few years ago (2009 I think), we had a significant snowfall overnight. My missus got up two hours early to ensure she could make it to Leicester to do her shift at the hospital and I left for work early - took my over an hour to drop my son off at nursery and get to work (usually a ten minute journey), When I got there one of the guys who works on the shop floor and lived literally opposite me phoned in to say he was snowed in. I explained mine and my wife's journey and politely suggested he reconsider his position ! He did eventually turn up though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
22 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Although it’s showers rather than frontal, I expect it all to be all snow as it’s coming from the cold air behind the front, so I expect to get more snow, and hence disruption than many places the front passes over. Not bothered about metoffice warnings as I’m always prepared anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

hoping for upgrades in the way of snow for my back yard, nothing but cold rain and maybe a bit of sleet, for the next cpl of days despite being in the met office warning zone, but i am guessing everything will be west of here, and also winds from the west or south so not favourable.

Posted

Had a slight patchy dusting of snow this morning still a tiny bit left in the shade 3.5c max.

So SW winds Tuesday turning NW later and some snow.

Thursday to Friday watch out strong east winds and drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

They grind to a halt in Vancouver.. although Vancouver probably has snow plows it can use from the nearby snowy mountains.

Seriously, what do people expect? We go on about how it hardly ever snows in the UK and yet act so surprised when we can’t deal with it.. well no sh..t Sherlock. 

Edited by cheese