Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your worst weather type

Posted

Looking at the models this eve for next weekend is making me feel less than enthused , the dreaded SW flow is on show..

Yes SW flows bring mild weather all year round, keep heating bills down etc, but I detest them. As a lover of seeing the local scenary, walking fells etc - they bring misery to these parts. Nearly always low cloud invades everything, and there is a permanent dankness in the air, drizzle, copious drip drip drip from mist and fog shrouding the fells - ruining a photograph and a view, and for the tourist just abysmal.

It very much a nimby perspective, suspect many in west coast locations would feel the same, especially further north west, there is a tendency for the cloud to break further south even along the Lancashire coast..

Sorry SW airflow - I really don't like you.

For those in the east the SW flow I suspect is very much welcomed, and its the easterly that isn't.

Edited by Nick L
Title typo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Low cloud and drizzle, of course...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Looking at the models this eve for next weekend is making me feel less than enthused , the dreaded SW flow is on show..

Yes SW flows bring mild weather all year round, keep heating bills down etc, but I detest them. As a lover of seeing the local scenary, walking fells etc - they bring misery to these parts. Nearly always low cloud invades everything, and there is a permanent dankness in the air, drizzle, copious drip drip drip from mist and fog shrouding the fells - ruining a photograph and a view, and for the tourist just abysmal.

It very much a nimby perspective, suspect many in west coast locations would feel the same, especially further north west, there is a tendency for the cloud to break further south even along the Lancashire coast..

For those in the east the SW flow I suspect is very much welcomed, and its the easterly that isn't.

It is much preferrable to that from the N sea for sure

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Worst weather type for me is warm/hot and settled. It bores me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Hot and/or humid..vile weather,the Devils weather.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Hot and/or humid..vile weather,the Devils weather.

I don't mind hot if it cools down to a tolerable level overnight. The early stages of last summer were perfect IMO, very warm days but it cooled down overnight so it was easy to sleep. But as soon as the humidity increased and the night time minima struggled to drop below the mid-teens it became an unbearable slog. As long as I can sleep, I'm happy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
22 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I don't mind hot if it cools down to a tolerable level overnight. The early stages of last summer were perfect IMO, very warm days but it cooled down overnight so it was easy to sleep. But as soon as the humidity increased and the night time minima struggled to drop below the mid-teens it became an unbearable slog. As long as I can sleep, I'm happy.

Totally agree,its the night temps which cause me the real problems. So long as you can get a good nights sleep putting up with high temps is just about bearable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Cold, grey crud -- whether it be drizzly or cold enough for annoying snow grains...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Any airmass that brings a lack of sunshine gets red marks from me. So, the mucky SWerly is probably top on the list, as well as anticyclonic gloom and featureless Erlies or NErlies.

Another frustrating one here is an anticyclonic westerly between April-June when we quite often sit under cloud from the Severn Estuary but inland is sunny. Conversely, cyclonic westerlies often leave us in a clear slot with lengthy sunshine when others get stuck under hours of showers. Swings and roundabouts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Today, its horrible, was meant to be 17 degrees, but no, stuck under sea fret at 9 degrees, worst weather type is easterly winds

1st February 2019, easterly wind too

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Cold and grey. It's boring, it's too cold to enjoy the outdoors and it's depressing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Cool and cloudy conditions like a few others, including a dull but not-quite-cold-enough-for-snow Easterly. 

I also hate rain with temperatures stuck around 3 or 4*C, knowing it’s frustratingly so close to being cold enough for snow. And you just wish there was more in the way of evaporative cooling and/or slightly colder air wrapped around the system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Worst is windy, cold and partly sunny.  I don't know why but that combination just makes me uneasy.  The weather looks inviting from indoors but as soon as you go outside it's noisy with wind and you have to wrap up warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Pointless cloud is very dreary and depressing, especially in the warmer months. North Sea gloom is foul, as it always feels cold, whatever time of year it is. Also lengthy spells of wind and rain are never much fun.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Has to be hazy sun with opressive humidity that fails to spark a thunderstorm off. Nothing worse than the pre storm opressive weather that doesn't deliver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

100% agree, SW wind soften brings damp and drizzly weather.

Much prefer Easterly winds with much clearer weather.

However I fully recognise that those from other locations feel the complete opposite.

• Like 1

Posted

I dislike anything that comes with a temperature greater than 19°C. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
19 hours ago, johnholmes said:

It is much preferrable to that from the N sea for sure

Indeed.  For me, the two worst weather types are, firstly, a slack easerly as John mentions, bringing low cloud, mist and a damp coldness to the air, and, seconly, anticyclonic gloom under stagnant high pressure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I hate all mild Atlantic driven weather patterns regardless of season and I hate all heatwave patterns regardless of whether its Maritime Tropical air or Continental Tropical air involved.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Drizzle and mild the usual west of Scotland summer weather lasts for 2-3 months 

the midges do love it though ????

• Like 1

Posted

The SW airflow brings lots of humidity especially in summer, and it can be a real struggle to sleep with temperatures not dropping below mid - teens. Thankfully we might now be spared the SW flow this coming weekend, it does tend to be notable by its absence in April through to June, but comes back with avengeance July and especially in August as I say just in time to ruin a summer holiday. In winter it is awful - as a lover of cold and snow, they bring the complete opposite, but again seems to rule roost until February. In autumn it brings copious heavy rain often slow moving weather fronts - and flooding.

All salute the northerly in this neck of the woods - yes can be cruelly cold, but also sparkling and clear with abundant sunshine all year round. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I can deal with a precursory dull southwesterly before a heatwave sets in - quite a number have happened like that. A few examples:

archives-2018-4-17-12-0.png > archives-2018-4-18-12-0.png

archives-2016-8-21-12-0.png > archives-2016-8-23-12-0.png

archives-2013-7-31-12-0.png > archives-2013-8-1-12-0.png

archives-2011-6-25-0-0.png > archives-2011-6-26-12-0.png

archives-2005-6-16-12-0.png > archives-2005-6-18-12-0.png

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yes, I also notice this seems to be the case with May. We still have the cool or even cold nights and mornings still with us at the start of May, but the real warm or even first hot days of the year start to kick in, with temps of mid 20s, or even a 27 degrees, usually combined with a nice breeze and clear blue skies with low humidity. However, a week or so into a hot spell and temps hovering above 27c with light breeze or no wind at all usually leads to increased humidity, and much warmer nights. I predict this will happen around late  mid to late May this year, and the first proper thunderstorms of the season will arrive.