Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your best weather types

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Winter: Mild, sunny and dry. 

Summer: Hot, humid and stormy with intense lightning storms and torrential rain on at least half the days.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I'm probably gonna repeat what others have already said, but here's my list... :oldgrin:

Spring: Sunshine and showers, and a bit of spring warmth. ?️

Summer: As much as I don't like the sweltering heat, I'm gonna contradict myself here because I want to see and feel it hot, humid and sweltering, because its normally a sign of a good ole fashioned Spanish Plume... Which can hopefully give us some impressive nocturnal rattlers. ☀️?️⛈️?️

Autumn: I could witter on about autumn for ages... But I'll try and keep it brief. I love the gentle mists, proper fogs, those sunny days with a hazy, smokey appearance, I also love a good ole fashioned autumn storm as well, especially later in the season. :air_kiss:

Winter: A winter like 2009/2010... Or failing that a winter with lots of wind storms as in 1989/90 and 2013/14 (I hope I've got those years right?). Or even lots of northerly topplers.  ?️?️?️ ☃️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

My ideal year.

January 2007, February 2019, March 2012, April 2011, May 1989, June 1976, July 2018, August 1995, September 1949, October 2011, November 1994, December 2015.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'd say:

(a) Polar and arctic maritime air masses with sunshine and showers, plus polar/arctic continental air masses from November to March if they are cold enough at upper levels to bring instability over the North Sea and sunshine-and-showers conditions.  Bonus points if the showers fall as snow and/or hail and/or are accompanied by thunder.

(b) Southerly types, such as those associated with Spanish plume events in summer or spells of mild sunny weather in the winter half-year.  It's harder to get the combination of sun and warmth from a southerly in winter, but we had a couple of very stark examples of it in February 2019, and the second week of February 2008 was another good example.

(c) Dry anticyclonic weather, as long as it is at least partly sunny.

Not a fan of frontal rain generally, but I welcome frontal snow events as long as they're cold enough to provide falling and lying snow.  In Devon the classic example, though it occurs rarely, is the fronts pushing in from the south-west and stalling over the south-west as they meet a blocking high to the north, as happened on 1 March 2018.  31 January 2019 had a rather unusual variation on that setup in a polar maritime regime.  My old homelands of Tyne & Wear and Norfolk generally got more snow from showers off the North Sea rather than fronts, but those areas do occasionally pick up frontal snow from southerly tracking lows in arctic or polar maritime regimes.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

• 2 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Summer: Temps between 20 and 30° Celsius, including some plumes and thunderstorms. I prefer dry heat to humid heat, but if we are guaranteed thunderstorms then putting up with the humidity is worth it.

Winter: Temps between 0 and 10° Celsius with plenty of chilly sunshine days, frosty nights as well as well as some snow at times. I also like a good storm to blow away the cobwebs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

In the winter, mild as possible even if it includes cloud and some rain but preferably showers rather than frontal rain.

Sunny cool/cold days are a second best in the winter.

In summer I like humid weather with moderate temperatures. 15-22 degrees night/day temps with more regular thunderstorms than we actually get.

Posted

Funny how you forget what threads you may have started... I now recall this one, thanks for resurrecting.. alas for this time of year, the current synoptics are my favourite a northerly airflow, arctic clear air, a bit more snow and well it doesn't get any better. Stunning!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

In winter I love cold and snow! Blizzards, temperatures below freezing, freezing fog - anything to make a winter wonderland. Detest mild.

In the spring I do like northerlies as they often bring a crisp feel and lively showers. That said, the first warm spell of the year always has that magic.

In the summer I like cool highs, though they're so rare to come by it seems. I like temperatures in the upper teens/low twenties, sunny skies with bubbly little clouds and then cool nights, especially if they dip into single figures. Detest humid and overly hot weather. And when I say overly hot, I mean anything over about 32C. I also like the occasional low to drop down the east coast and give a day or two of unseasonably cool, grey and wet weather as it feels quite mystical, especially set against the English countryside - but it can get taxing if it lasts too long.

By the autumn I stop craving warmth around the time of the equinox. September and October are nice when they have fine days but cold nights. I anticipate the first frosts. I really dislike when overly mild/warm weather persists into the autumn like it did this year. By November I cannot be arsed to deal temperatures of around 20C!!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

In the spring I like to feel the warmth after the winter so something reasonably warm but with a few lively showers at times. 10-15°C preferable

Warm summer with a few hot spells and a few thunderstorms here and there. Anything between 20 and 30°C suits me. Don't mind the occasional >30°C but wouldn't want it too often. 

I tend to like the start of Autumn to still be warm but don't want the warmth to hang around too long before being replaced by a more seasonal feel, also quite like a storm as long as we don't get stuck in a really wet pattern. 15-25°C early autumn and 10-15°C for the rest of the season.  

Cold in winter with plenty of snow, with the odd storm to break up the cold every so often as long is it didn't stay mild for too long. Most days being <5°C and the milder days being few and far between. Never anything above 10°C. 

Posted

My ideal year:

Jan 2010, Feb 2018, March 2013, April 2021, May 2021, June 2015, July 2015, August 2015, September 2015, October 2012, November 2010, December 2010. 

As you can tell, 2015 was a good year.. until Nov-Dec came along and ruined it.

My ideal year would be 2010 or 2015, whereas a year I'd hate to see again is 2022, though this month has been splendid. 

Overall, I prefer winters to be cold and snowy but mainly dry.. can't stand rain in winter. Springs dry but also cool. I prefer warmer days to be around May. Same theme with summers but can't deal with heatwaves or anything relating to warmth.. the heatwaves in 2022 were horrendous. Autumn's I don't mind a few days of warmth as the sun isn't as strong, but prefer it to be cool and frosty. 

Edited by Frigid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Snowy/frosty winters, but relatively short ones, focusing on Dec, Jan and early Feb. Spring arrives around Feb 15.

March mostly fine and warm with occasional northerly outbreaks.

April largely fine and warm, but again with occasional northerly outbreaks and one late-season significant snowfall.

May fine and warm with northerly outbreaks early in the month and thundery spells later.

June, July and August mostly fine and warm, with regular thundery spells which do not break down the weather - instead the Azores high rebuilds following each thundery low. Not excessively hot and humid though, I'd say about 21-28 is optimal in June, 23-30C in July and August.

September fine, very dry, cooler but still pleasantly warm, 23C at start trending down to the high teens at the end of the month.

October fine and warm.

November sunny and frosty.

So I guess in summary:

Winter: frosty, snowy, sunny.

Spring: warm and sunny with cold northerly interludes and some late snow.

Summer: warm and sunny with thundery interludes.

Autumn: benign, sunny, warm at first, colder later.

Wettest period from May to August, in the form of regular thundery outbreaks.

As it happens I could make a close-to-ideal year from just two actual years: 1985 and 1995.

All months taken from 1995, except January, February, September and November, which would come from 1985. Only problem would be a not-so-thundery summer.

But for an even-closer-to-ideal year, let's say Jan 1985, Feb 1985, Mar 1995, Apr 1995, May 1992, June 1994, July 1994, August 1981, September 1997, October 1995, November 1985, December 1981. This still suffers from lack of spring snow - but the problem is that most years with significant spring snow also had rubbish weather at other times of the season!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 26/02/2020 at 23:00, B87 said:

My ideal year.

January 2007, February 2019, March 2012, April 2011, May 1989, June 1976, July 2018, August 1995, September 1949, October 2011, November 1994, December 2015.

Most of those I'd go along with (I'm guessing Sep 1949 was warm and sunny?), but definitely not the January, November and December! 😉

Edited by Summer8906