Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

This thread is going way too far now.
I'm gonna remove a bunch of stuff soon, but if people can't post and conduct an adult discussion without making things personal or repeating the same nonsense, debunked points ad nauseum, then they'll find their posting rights restricted, and this thread locked.

Posted

Back on Topic   i think i mentioned somewhere on this thread that i have tried vegan food   i dont think it will make a huge difference  however i was surprised at the taste.  My wife has been Veggy for 20 years and Vegan for 5  so pressure did finally get to me .  I however will not allow my son to be either vegan or veggy  he is still only 11 years of age  and is still developing  at 18 ish he can make is own  mind  up  as he can with all subjects.  Politics included ( heaven forbid)

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As they say 'you are what you eat'. That goes for education in my view, and in these modern times, balance is very hard to find especially for young folk. It's not going to be an easy ride for them that's for sure with so many contradictions it's very hard for them to find a level platform. Especially on the internet..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 hours ago, weirpig said:

A quick update on my post above   news is coming out that Veggies and Vegans are at a higher risk of Stroke.  Lamb cutlets for tea for  me i  think 

Seems to be a classic case of a headline which doesn't tell the full story though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49579820

"They had 10 fewer cases of heart disease and three more strokes per 1,000 people compared with the meat-eaters.

The research, published in the British Medical Journal, looked at 48,000 people for up to 18 years".

So it seems difficult to conclude whether there are benefits or disadvantages to this choice. From a purely statistical point of view you could conclude there is a very very slight increase in the risk of a stroke if you are vegan / vegetarian but also a slightly greater risk of heat disease if you are a meat eater.

Seems pretty inconclusive to me either way, when there are other factors to consider such as alcohol consumption and smoking etc.

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Seems to be a classic case of a headline which doesn't tell the full story though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49579820

"They had 10 fewer cases of heart disease and three more strokes per 1,000 people compared with the meat-eaters.

The research, published in the British Medical Journal, looked at 48,000 people for up to 18 years".

So it seems difficult to conclude whether there are benefits or disadvantages to this choice. From a purely statistical point of view you could conclude there is a very very slight increase in the risk of a stroke if you are vegan / vegetarian but also a slightly greater risk of heat disease if you are a meat eater.

Seems pretty inconclusive to me either way, when there are other factors to consider such as alcohol consumption and smoking etc.

Yes but i do the bold too.  I go veggy then i may not last to the end of this sen.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Seem like Bernie might have finally lost it? :oops:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49601678?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science_and_environment&link_location=live-reporting-story

It takes 165 Ethiopians to emit as much CO2 as ONE American!:wallbash:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
10 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49601678?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science_and_environment&link_location=live-reporting-story

Well, you can't expect (some) American Conservatives to be keen on allowing women to have control of their own bodies.  They won't support organisations which offer birth control and abortion to women in other countries, and it is a main battleground of the culture war within the US.  It's politically inept to connect the two issues, though it does allow one to trace the tangled webs of conservative hypocrisy and dishonesty as they react with fake shock and outrage.  Ethiopian women would benefit from birth control: the whole world would benefit if America took its energy and resource profligacy in hand.

• Like 5

Posted
11 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Strange Article.  So if i have read that correct  he wants to spend Americans money on birth control  to stop a population boom in African countries?.  I get the reasoning  but as you stated  Africans  contribute very little to climate change  so what benefit would that give the world?.   Its actually very much a paradox   If we keep Africa  in a poor state   there is a population  growth   which would contribute very little to climate change  or  invest in Africa  bring it up towards the technology advances of the west    have lower birth rates  but contribute more to global warming.    Maybe  they   should just deal with  the causes of climate change  that their  own countries contribute to   and keep their  noses out   

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Strange Article.  So if i have read that correct  he wants to spend Americans money on birth control  to stop a population boom in African countries?.  I get the reasoning  but as you stated  Africans  contribute very little to climate change  so what benefit would that give the world?.   Its actually very much a paradox   If we keep Africa  in a poor state   there is a population  growth   which would contribute very little to climate change  or  invest in Africa  bring it up towards the technology advances of the west    have lower birth rates  but contribute more to global warming.    Maybe  they   should just deal with  the causes of climate change  that their  own countries contribute to   and keep their  noses out   

But maybe not? Why can we not 'seize the opportunity' by helping underdeveloped (a horribly patronising adjective, IMO) countries with the introduction of renewable energy sources?

But you're right about it being a 'strange article'...It's hardly a shining example of joined-up thinking, is it?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

But maybe not? Why can we not 'seize the opportunity' by helping underdeveloped (a horribly patronising adjective, IMO) countries with the introduction of renewable energy sources?

Off course  renewable energy sources  could be introduced    but where countries become more developed  their carbon footprint will rise    whether that by becoming  more industrialised  Increase in Farming etc     Its a problem  that cant be solved by simple birth control  imo  its gone way past that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

American aid funding if often contingent on the groups they work with not allowing, promoting or even suggesting any kind of birth control. It's the conservatives way of trying to limit the control women have over their bodies in foreign countries too, by tying it in with aid funding. If providing/allowing birth control options results in a slow down in population growth in some region, fine. It helps with the climate problem a little, but it won't solve it. However, it seems to me to be the right thing to do, regardless. 
Bernie's suggestion has nothing to do with keeping Africa poor or trying to cull foreign populations. The media, when it comes to Bernie, has always been biased stinking pile.

jg77t7z0ipk31.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

American aid funding if often contingent on the groups they work with not allowing, promoting or even suggesting any kind of birth control. It's the conservatives way of trying to limit the control women have over their bodies in foreign countries too, by tying it in with aid funding. If providing/allowing birth control options results in a slow down in population growth in some region, fine. It helps with the climate problem a little, but it won't solve it. However, it seems to me to be the right thing to do, regardless. 
Bernie's suggestion has nothing to do with keeping Africa poor or trying to cull foreign populations. The media, when it comes to Bernie, has always been biased stinking pile.

jg77t7z0ipk31.jpg

Dont agree   if He was saying  we need to give women in Africa   education and the means in Birth control   then yep i agree all good   after all HIV  and high population growth is still an issue in Africa.  Buts its the fact that he is linking birth control and population growth in Africa as a cause of climate change  which is a load of rubbish.  We could have  double maybe even triple the population we have now  if we all lived like most of Africa  and climate change would not be an issue.   Its the way we live in the west  thats the issue   

• Like 3

Posted

I think now is maybe a good time to remind people about the title and intended topic of this thread:

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

We're straying too far from it, and too far into politics right now.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

I think now is maybe a good time to remind people about the title and intended topic of this thread:

Ok  point  taken.  What im going to do  is  quit my lifestyle here in England and pop over to Africa  and try to halt climate change by giving all African people birth control.  Anyone agree?.       ( sorry being a little tinker). 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Dont agree   if He was saying  we need to give women in Africa   education and the means in Birth control   then yep i agree all good   after all HIV  and high population growth is still an issue in Africa.  Buts its the fact that he is linking birth control and population growth in Africa as a cause of climate change  which is a load of rubbish.  We could have  double maybe even triple the population we have now  if we all lived like most of Africa  and climate change would not be an issue.   Its the way we live in the west  thats the issue   

IMO, the AGW problem can only ever be understood via science, will only ever be solved via science and technology...The last thing the world needs right now, is interference by ideologues...?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yes, political undertones have developed, but surely any thread involving discussion of climate change, however the thread title is framed, is bound to do so. So many facets of the topic are de facto both political and divisive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
3 hours ago, Paul said:

The big issue on this forum is that every single serious discussion thread/topic seems to be hijacked by personal political agendas and casual racism. (No matter what the subject is and it is usually the same bunch of people - hence why 99% of the threads get locked in the end)

These threads always become a total farce.

I will continue to stick to all the light hearted/model discussion/regional threads and members gallery ect ect as this is much more to my taste/interests in life.

Reading this thread and many other of the previous serious discussion threads/topics makes me cringe. 

• Like 2

Posted

Plenty of trees about and not cutting any live trees down is excellent for the planet.

I don`t like all these diseases that are coming in,I see the dutch elm disease seems to of come back as we`ve got 2 mature elm trees one an English elm and,one is wych elm,I see after 30 years after being surrounded by elm disease then it was fine,but after last summer probably the hot summer, the disease hit one bottom branch,make that 2 bottom branches now,another smaller elm tree also hit last year.

Any sign of that dreaded ash dieback about.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

World  climate strike  day.  The day were thousands if not more around the world  strike  against  anything from  deforestation  to fossil fuels.   Will it Work?.  Who  Knows    but at least i now have a pattern that goes with a tragic plaid  pair of trousers my mother brought me last christmas 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

I've planted a good few trees in my garden. (I am blessed to have the luxury of a big garden) If everyone with a bit of space planted more trees it would definitely helped. Greta Thunberg pointed out recently that natural solutions are cheap and effective and need more funding. So we need proper reforestation, ending the wanton forest clearing going on in the Amazon, south east Asia, Australia etc, restoring the mangroves and so on. NB I think forestry can still be maintained as an industry if it's done sustainably, we still need wood as a resource, we just don't need to clear fell rainforests to grow palm oil to put into cheap processed food.

• Like 3

Posted

We can make sure we don't go down the same road as the Yanks, for a start...Bloody morons!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49591143

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i have been driving around in a vehicle with this engine..this is pretty standard for vehicles in North America..dont think i have seen any electric cars over here yet...long way to go i'm afraid

IMG_0729.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
36 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i have been driving around in a vehicle with this engine..this is pretty standard for vehicles in North America..dont think i have seen any electric cars over here yet...long way to go i'm afraid

IMG_0729.JPG

I have been driving round the States in a Dodge Ram for the last 2 weeks, 19mpg all told....fuel at just $2.09 per gallon.

Many US wind farms are mothballed to keep the coal miners(Trump voters) in work. Trumps idea.

California has had its strict emissions standards suspended to give car manufacturers an easy ride and make cars less expensive. Trumps idea.

Us toilets are designed to use twice as much water as ours for a more powerful flush (cant blame Trump for this, although it's easier to flush away his bullsh17 with them)

If you go to Walmart or other supermarkets, you can have a separate plastic carrier bag for each item if you wish...from a laden carrier carousel at each till...at no cost. Trump was against the idea of a plastic bag tax.

The light bulbs(as above), being allowed to be continued to be manufactured and sold rather than more expensive more efficient and power saving ones introduced as the standard. Trumps idea.

Pulling the USA out of previously agreed climate and CO2 control plans. Trumps idea.

The USA under Trump, is clearly not just ignoring the dangers of climate change, they are actively encouraging their population to exacerbate the problems.

• Like 4