Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Niño and La Niña

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.

Hi guys,

Some of you might have seen me around before but I’m relatively new to this site and to weather in general. I’ve discovered plenty of things since joining this site and I give my thanks to you all for that. One thing I still don’t understand the concept of is El Niño and La Niña. I get what they are, and I get why they happen, but how do they tend to affect the climate of the U.K.? Are summers wetter or drier, hotter or cooler. Also how do they affect winter? I’ve looked everywhere for a good response for this on the internet and I’ve found nothing that answers my question. So I was wondering if any of you wonderful people could help me out, since El Niño looks to be strengthening currently

Thanks a lot!

Posted

Have you had a look in the Net Wx Guides

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/24-learning-about-weather-and-meteorology/

also Blessed Weather has recently been making long lists of sites that have explanations about just about anything to do with meteorology

Good hunting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

My understanding is that both el nino and la nina have a lesser effect on the weather in Europe than they do across the Americas and areas in the pacific basin..however strong basin wide El nino tend to favour mild and wet winters in Europe esp Dec and Jan..this was the case in 1982/3..1997/8..2015/6..where as a weak central based (modki) el nino favours a colder snowier winter ..2009/10..not sure on La Nina..these tend to favour cold winters across most of North America..however Dec 2010 happened under strong La Nina conditions