Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2019 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
4 hours ago, Wynter said:

It's possible. It depends on a lot of factors of course. But it could swing the other way as well, with anomalous warmth in the Arctic, it could force the cold into the lower latitudes, giving us a colder than average Winter. It will be interesting for sure. Also a little concerning as well, if truth be told. 

A severe winter will be disaster for most people. A repeat of 1979, not even a 1963 would be bad enough, or even another December 2010. More people die in very cold conditions. 

I do like the snow and frost though.

Posted
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

A severe winter will be disaster for most people. A repeat of 1979, not even a 1963 would be bad enough, or even another December 2010. More people die in very cold conditions. 

You’re going to get jumped on for that comment.

Posted
On 24/07/2019 at 21:11, Azazel said:

You’re going to get jumped on for that comment.

But it’s actually the truth. I can see a winter like that catching us out quite soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
On 19/07/2019 at 12:56, Aleman said:

Can't talk about things beforehand. It's not allowed. Christmas is not to be discussed until December 25th!

Quite agree A, can’t discuss NEXT Christmas until December 26th ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 24/07/2019 at 04:51, Sunny76 said:

i don't think more people die in cold conditions at all..this was disproved somewhere a few years back..in cold weather people pay more diligence to their neighbours than do under normal weather..in fact mild damp weather tends to result in more deaths..not sure why a repeat of 1979 would be a disaster ...pretty standard weather for most countries in the Northern Hemisphere on the same Latitude as the UK

• Like 1

Posted

Morning Troops - August starts this week. We're getting there slowly......

In August I expect to see: ripening fruits, hazelnuts appearing, Lords & Ladies, Daddy longlegs, harvested fields, morning mists, darker mornings, night time minima in single figures towards the end of the month and the best of all - weather forecasters talking about "a touch of frost in the isolated glens of Scotland"

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Morning Troops - August starts this week. We're getting there slowly......

In August I expect to see: ripening fruits, hazelnuts appearing, Lords & Ladies, Daddy longlegs, harvested fields, morning mists, darker mornings, night time minima in single figures towards the end of the month and the best of all - weather forecasters talking about "a touch of frost in the isolated glens of Scotland"

And normally late in August, weather reports usually forecast warm, sunny conditions for much of September, as Autumn is put on hold ...hopefully

• Like 3

Posted
On 29/07/2019 at 00:59, Bristle boy said:

And normally late in August, weather reports usually forecast warm, sunny conditions for much of September, as Autumn is put on hold ...hopefully

i did not have an autumn last year ..started snowing first week of Sept and never really stopped..was the coldest Sept on record..so would love a warm sunny Sept this year please.

Posted
57 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i did not have an autumn last year ..started snowing first week of Sept and never really stopped..was the coldest Sept on record..

Sounds like a dream come true!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

The quicker Autumn arrives the better,no air con on,better light,better for working in,better for sleeping,better fuel economy on the car(diesel),no hayfever,no waking to broad daylight at 4am,the list just goes on...best season of the year is just around the corner thankfully!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Don said:

Sounds like a dream come true!

you wouldnt say that if you lived it..nothing wrong with winter lasting 3 months or so..but when it last 8 months and starts in Sept its quickly outstays it welcome..i was ready for Spring come the end of October last year

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

you wouldnt say that if you lived it..nothing wrong with winter lasting 3 months or so..but when it last 8 months and starts in Sept its quickly outstays it welcome..i was ready for Spring come the end of October last year

Oh i would, i can assure you of that, no sweating, no insects for 8 months of the year - heaven.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I have to say that this current low pressure system is like one of the first autumn storms! ?️
As I type I've currently got slate grey skies, the capricious wind is blowing, and its fetching some of the first leaves down off the trees, the rain on the windows, plus earlier this morning (before the wind) we even had hill fog starting to roll in! ... Marvellous! Just marvellous. :clap:
After the furnace heat of last week, this is most welcome change. :oldgrin:

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Perhaps not every single year, but would be quite happy to experience this every few years.

• Like 3

Posted
On 26/07/2019 at 20:11, cheeky_monkey said:

i don't think more people die in cold conditions at all..this was disproved somewhere a few years back..in cold weather people pay more diligence to their neighbours than do under normal weather..in fact mild damp weather tends to result in more deaths..not sure why a repeat of 1979 would be a disaster ...pretty standard weather for most countries in the Northern Hemisphere on the same Latitude as the UK

I think another 1979 type winter would be severe to many people, just like the very hot spell we encountered last week. A very cold spell lasting for 10 days or so, would cripple the transport system, and many old people and the poor would suffer.

I think you are downplaying just how bad conditions would be. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
22 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

I have to say that this current low pressure system is like one of the first autumn storms! ?️
As I type I've currently got slate grey skies, the capricious wind is blowing, and its fetching some of the first leaves down off the trees, the rain on the windows, plus earlier this morning (before the wind) we even had hill fog starting to roll in! ... Marvellous! Just marvellous. :clap:
After the furnace heat of last week, this is most welcome change. :oldgrin:

horrible morning here, and 384 chart on GFS is autumn proper, yes deepest FI, but kinda time of year producing that possible chart

h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
56 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

horrible morning here, and 384 chart on GFS is autumn proper, yes deepest FI, but kinda time of year producing that possible chart

h850t850eu.png

Morning @I remember Atlantic 252 :oldsmile:
Wow!! Mind you, mid August is the time of year when we all notice that summer is starting to fade. ?️:oldgood:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Whenever it starts (I prefer September 1st, myself) the coming Autumn will be an interesting one, as it'll put two hypotheses to the test: 

Solar activity is low and, according to some, that in itself ought to give us a colder, more blocked winter; and Arctic sea-ice extent is at a near-record low level and that, according others, also ought to give us a colder, more blocked winter?

If we do indeed see a colder, more blocked winter, arguments of the 'it was [......] what done it' variety will ensue; if we don't, it may be 'back to the drawing board', for the lot of us!:oldgrin:

Interesting times ahead?:oldgood:

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Whenever it starts (I prefer September 1st, myself) the coming Autumn will be an interesting one, as it'll put two hypotheses to the test: 

Solar activity is low and, according to some, that in itself ought to give us a colder, more blocked winter; and Arctic sea-ice extent is at a near-record low level and that, according others, also ought to give us a colder, more blocked winter?

If we do indeed see a colder, more blocked winter, arguments of the 'it was [......] what done it' variety will ensue; if we don't, it may be 'back to the drawing board', for the lot of us!:oldgrin:

Interesting times ahead?:oldgood:

Being as this is the autumn thread, I'll let you have a look at the Cansips Model from Canada @Ed Stone:whistling:

...And swerving swiftly back on topic...
Whilst driving home I noticed yet another tree has just started to gain its autumn plumage. :oldgood:
If I remember, I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

It's the Autumnal equinox next month

Means zilch all if Sept is warm and mostly sunny. Then Sept becomes an extension of Summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

First half of September is warmer than the first half of June pretty much everywhere in the UK.

Posted

Morning everyone. :oldsmile:
Well today is the day that it has finally happened! Today is the first time this year that I have felt and seen autumn pop its head over the metaphorical parapet. :yahoo:
Firstly, when I came out of the house this morning at 05:00, the first thing I heard was the autumn song of the Robin... Natures sound track to gathering mists, ripening fruits, and shortening days if ever there was one.
Secondly, I had to clear the heavy dew and dampness off the car windows for the first time... Always a good sign the autumn is very close by... At this time of year anyway. 
And thirdly, whilst driving into work I saw the gentle, mellow mists just hanging over the fields, and starting to spread out over the lanes... Very autumnal! :oldgrin:

Now don't get me wrong, I know its only early August, and I'm fully aware that summer has probably got one or two nasty surprises and tricks left up it sleeves, but for an hour or so this morning I felt, and saw the promised land... And it felt wonderful. :clap::drinks:

7A97379A-A5C4-4C37-8303-804A40DEAD51.jpg

ED006A9D-874A-4A0F-8B56-CC74563727EE.jpg

Edited by Dangerous55019
Dyslexic fingers
  • Like 6