Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thunderstorms in Florida

Zak M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I've decided that I wanted to create a thread of where I post all the thunderstorms I've encountered in Florida without being moaned at  (and perhaps you guys can post them too!). I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I hope I am.

If anyone doesn't know, Florida in the summer is one of the thunderstorm hotspots of the world. Sea breezes from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic both collide together, causing the breezes to rise upwards and form thunderheads at staggering heights.

My journey to Florida this year was the most memorable. I had 17 thunder days out of the 18 days I stayed!

So I'll share all the storms I've had in Florida this summer here!

• Like 6

Posted

Just created this video. Took me a long time to edit!

More videos coming soon

• Like 8

Posted

In the afternoon of the 4th of August 2019, a small thunderstorm developed to the NW, producing some decent lightning strikes, some thunder, and even a positive strike. Then about an hour after the storm decayed, a new one developed to the south, bringing some close lightning strikes and loud thunder.

Not much lightning was picked up in the video unfortunately.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I've never been lucky enough to witness a Florida storm, so keep them coming!

• Like 1

Posted

The closest strike I have ever caught on camera in Florida is now on YouTube!

It still bugs me to this day to not have caught the actual bolt of the lightning strike. It was to the right of the camera (as you can tell from the light) and struck beside a house about 50 meters away from me.

Mad stuff!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 3

Posted

When I went in 2014 there wasn't too much convergence of the sea breezes (I was in Orlando) and I think there was only 2-3 days that had storms, the rest were broadly just sunny days with low level cumulus. Most of the those storms came in the first 2 days (It was awesome seeing clouds just sit in one place and blow up in situ due to the convergence).

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

When I went in 2014 there wasn't too much convergence of the sea breezes (I was in Orlando) and I think there was only 2-3 days that had storms, the rest were broadly just sunny days with low level cumulus. Most of the those storms came in the first 2 days (It was awesome seeing clouds just sit in one place and blow up in situ due to the convergence).

Nice. How long did you go for and what month? Because usually July is where the Florida storms peak, other months like June and August don't see a storm every single day.

• Like 1

Posted

This is one of my favourite videos from the storm on the 29th July.

Very close lightning strikes and torrential rain can be seen. The closest strikes are at 1:18, 1:59 and 4:23. I headed inside after the strike at 4:23 because it was that close!

Some of the audio in the video was used in the video 'Florida Thunderstorm Timelapse'.

• Like 3

Posted

Going there for the 7th time this year, in the last 12 years. Cracking holiday, where the storms are the best, all year round.

• Like 1

Posted

I’ve been to Orlando over 40 times in the last 25 years, and the storms are always a massive highlight for me!

This picture was from September 5th 2017 when a strong squall line moved through Orlando from the west. Only a phone pic whilst i was enjoying a beer and watching the light show!

2 trips booked this year although not in peak storm time. Over the years I’ve found June to be the best for them ???

9F2E3D50-FF48-4966-BB55-A9D4A63A2FC7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Starting to post here again!

This thunderstorm was on the same date as the 'Florida Thunderstorm Timelapse' video, and some of the clips were used in this video too. A multi-cell thunderstorm produced frequent lightning and thunder. Some close strikes are seen in this video, as well as some clear air strikes (not positive I think).

Also, if anyone can tell me what the ominous cloud at 0:23 is in the video, please let me know

• Like 2

Posted

Used to go every before we had kids! Loved doing a park and then watching the Clouds grow in the afternoon whilst queuing haha!

Actually going again end of May/early June for the first time in about 6 years, kids are old enough now to appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing some Storms!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
19 hours ago, Zak M said:

Starting to post here again!

This thunderstorm was on the same date as the 'Florida Thunderstorm Timelapse' video, and some of the clips were used in this video too. A multi-cell thunderstorm produced frequent lightning and thunder. Some close strikes are seen in this video, as well as some clear air strikes (not positive I think).

Also, if anyone can tell me what the ominous cloud at 0:23 is in the video, please let me know

I agree with the video, likely wall cloud, though obviously very rain-wrapped and hard to discern  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

More timelapse videos are here!

Some of these videos have been used before in other Florida thunderstorm videos, but I decided to collect most of the timelapse videos I recorded and put it into a compilation, along with some loud cracks of thunder that I recorded myself, and some nice background music.

A part 2 will be coming soon

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

This video features some evening thunderstorms put together into a timelapse. These were all in one day (27th July)

There's also some nice lightning strikes within a cumulonimbus at the end of the video.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted

Still had this video on my computer and forgot to upload it somehow.

But this is definitely up there for one of the most awesome storms - and I remember it very well!

I was at a water park before the storm arrived and when I got there there were some towering cumulus clouds in the distance. 10 minutes later I heard a rumble of thunder so I was like 'Ah cool. Another daily storm' but then 5 minutes later, the heavens opened! The storm was growing rapidly, and at the storms peak there was a CG roughly every 20 seconds. The storm was starting to close in on me so I headed home and started recording. This is what I got.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted

One of the best lightning videos I've ever seen. Daytona, about 2 weeks ago.

Edited by R Alto
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
Posted

Every CG bolt from the likely supercell storm on the 28th July last year along with ear-splitting thunder near the end.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
Posted

I think I should post here more..

Anyway, here's a timelapse of a small and isolated storm that developed to my SW last year in Haines City. You can see the rising updrafts to the left of the anvil, some with pileus caps too.

• 2 months later...
Posted

A nice -CG from almost two years ago with some loud thunder.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
Posted

I'm back in Florida for four weeks, so it's time to start using this thread again!

Here's a timelapse of a distant storm looking SW towards Sarasota last night. Lightning was flashing away every two seconds.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I’m in Tampa at the moment. Watching a huge line of storm light up the sky about 20miles east of here. 

275A3AEF-68FB-42A5-B2E0-CE15FC640E35.thumb.png.649ee29bf9789bf4e15091e420363a2a.png

It's right over me Chris. Lightning every second. This is a bloody terrific storm.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zak M said:

It's right over me Chris. Lightning every second. This is a bloody terrific storm.

It’s going nuts! Proper strobing! Some huge positive strikes coming out the top! I’m about 50km away. Still 33C here at 9pm and I’m in having a beer on the roof top terrace on the 27th floor 😍😍😎😎

8 minutes ago, Zak M said:

First time since I’ve been here the winds picked. Classic westerly breeze here meeting the east coast easterly for a massive central Florida convergence storm! 

Posted

OMG, huge CG 100 meters away. This is the best storm I have seen in my lifetime.

• Like 4