Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

Posted
3 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

@shuggee are those magic shrooms??

Not this time! Think the frost might have seen off the fly agaric? Too high for the other type. (Altitude, I meant altitude). 

• Like 5

Posted

Wet am followed by a  dry  bright afternoon not to cold at 12c maximum. Was reminded tonight of the best aurora I had ever seen on the 9th October 2004 . Stood with Aurora Storm watching it unfold .We had three distinct arcs covering the whole sky one green /yellow to the south and a similar one to the north and the really fabulous red one right overhead which if you looked directly above had spirals that you could look into that seemed to spiral to infinity. A truly memorable night first and only time I have seen  an arc to the south. No chance tonight as there is steady rain and perhaps not this October as the sun is still fairly sleepy. The only previous red aurora I had seen was in November 1985 as we left the house one night going out for a meal.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Dreich. That's all. Just dreich.

Temperature now is 6.8deg.C up from a minimum of 1.5deg.C at 03:00, r.h. is 97%, wind between 1 and 6mph from the north, pressure is 1016.4hPa rising, and there's complete cloud cover that has dropped 0.2mm of rain on me since midnight and 2.6mm in the last 24 hours.

I originally posted this in the SE England thread for some reason. Age doesn't come alone...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Over in the mad house there is talk of 2010 reruns, indian summers for the South East and all sorts of northern blocking... i wasnt living in Scotland in 2010 so no idea what it was like for cold and snaw that winter.. anybody got any pics to share so i know whats coming..

Posted
51 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Over in the mad house there is talk of 2010 reruns, indian summers for the South East and all sorts of northern blocking... i wasnt living in Scotland in 2010 so no idea what it was like for cold and snaw that winter.. anybody got any pics to share so i know whats coming..

I have a picture on an old computer somewhere of snow on Gullane beach right up to the tide line! Not a common occurrence in sunny East Lothian, I can tell you! I can't get it just now so I hope this satellite image will do.

Great_Britain_Snowy.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

These were taken in January 2010 of the River Garry just above the River Tummel.

P1100043a.JPG

P1100049a.JPG

P1100055a.JPG

P1100056a.JPG

P1100057a.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

Yes it was very special,only the winters of the early sixties reminded me of it when I was a child and I honestly thought I would never see such a snowy spell again with day time maxes of -7c in my lifetime but there was another spell in 2018 February again with lake effect snow off the North Sea.Twice in ten years with global warming as well.But extremes of weather seem to be part of this and may become normal.I witnessed thunder snow over the Cairngorms in December 2010  at night on the farm road in a temperature of -8c.  We had about 24 inches in old money but with hardly any wind there was no drifting but various new sheds in the area collapsed as no account of snow loading was built into them after the eighties. Our sheds from the eighteen hundreds ,sixties and seventies all survived because of over engineering.   IMG_0001_43.thumb.jpg.49c3c2141dd80c00e6d555282feb3568.jpgIMG_1098_1.thumb.jpg.bbd8fcc7598718b3fa618f6b02af0b49.jpgIMG_1121.thumb.jpg.e4a51de0df601495b8710a598f46a7b7.jpg

Today has dawned clear but some heavy showers have come in off the Firth this morning.  Its currently 10c and overcast

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1