Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
11 hours ago, Tills said:

Hi everyone,

Supposed to be off skiing in the French Alps this Sunday. My reading of the forecasts and maps suggests there's going to be good snowfall 8-11th.

Can anyone back me up on this with charts and detailed forecasts?

Looking pretty good for your hols Tills, if you can put up with falling snow for the first few days. Enjoy and post some pics.  🙂

This evening's GFS 12z run looking very promising for the snow starved French Alps. A good push of low heights (trough) into Europe, plenty of precipitation (hatched is snow), and sub-zero 850 hPa temps (at approx 1,500m) suggests good enough for this to fall as snow. Animations from 13.00 Sunday 8th to 13.00 Tuesday 10th:

500 hPa:            animwhm4.gif

Precipitation:    animmpr5.gif

850hPa temps: animofx8.gif

Source: https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

Edit: @Tills Freezing level charts added for Monday 09th. 👍

03.00: Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Outdoors

18.00: Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Source: https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/alps

Edited by Blessed Weather
Freezing level charts added.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Yes my daughter is heading to Tignes on the 14th and will hopefully have a good cover of fresh to begin her holiday rather than several weeks old snow. One thing that I have passed on to her from experience is if booking well in advance always go high!
She had a practice at the Lecht on Monday and is planning either Glencoe or Glenshee on her next day off weather permitting. Might even go with her if arthritis allows.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

Not sure how the 'track' is for the Lauberhorn and cannot find any info on this. The top looks fine but not sure about the bottom 500 feet or so. Hopefully the snow mentioned above will allow its final prep regardless of how brown the lower slopes may look.

Due to go myself, just gentle walking now I'm afraid, Monday 16 th for a week. Be my last visit I'm afraid.

well finish area looks usable

WWW.SNOW-ONLINE.COM

Webcam Innerwengen: finish area of Lauberhornrace, 2086 m...: View on the finish area of the Lauberhorn skirace ...

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Quick question for you folks…am planning a school ski trip next season…unfortunately due to holiday dates here in the UAE (moved here 6 months ago from Surrey)  my dates are tied to the week beginning 11th Dec2023…looking currently at Siestetre Italy and a hotel at 2000m… my head says that this should be ok…. Given the number of trips I’ve organised in the past at Easter, this will be the first at ye beginning of the season though!!! Any thoughts welcome

Posted

Definitely a risk at that time of the year. It's not especially rare for there to be little or no snow in the alps at that time, even at height. I've driven up to Avoriaz in early December before and there's been no snow. That said though, days later there was a huge dump of it, but that'd be the risk at that time of year. You'd have to shut your eyes and hope for the best!

• Like 1

Posted
On 04/01/2023 at 14:05, chilly milly said:

You are not far from my work colleague who's at Les Menuires. She also says there's enough snow, but yesterday was an extremely hard day's skiing, so I expect that's the change in temp as you mention above.

Yeah, today was our last day, by staying above 2000m all day we managed to miss the hardest ice, but everywhere is very hard. Snow coming on Sunday, lots of it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Definitely a risk at that time of the year. It's not especially rare for there to be little or no snow in the alps at that time, even at height. I've driven up to Avoriaz in early December before and there's been no snow. That said though, days later there was a huge dump of it, but that'd be the risk at that time of year. You'd have to shut your eyes and hope for the best!

Thanks Paul…pretty much my thinking…. Personally I’ve been to Le Corbier at that time and been fine…but as you say very dicey Unfortunately my hands are tied as to when I can organise the trip…. So take the plunge I think🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, John Stevens said:

Quick question for you folks…am planning a school ski trip next season…unfortunately due to holiday dates here in the UAE (moved here 6 months ago from Surrey)  my dates are tied to the week beginning 11th Dec2023…looking currently at Siestetre Italy and a hotel at 2000m… my head says that this should be ok…. Given the number of trips I’ve organised in the past at Easter, this will be the first at ye beginning of the season though!!! Any thoughts welcome

This might offer some comfort John, although with global warming adversely impacting the Alps as the years go on, wise words of caution from others above as previous expectations increasingly fail to materialise.

Is Sestrière (Via Lattea) snowsure?
The snowiest week in Sestrière (Via Lattea) is week 4 of November. There are typically 3.0 snowy days during this week with 28 cm of snowfall. Check out the Sestrière (Via Lattea) Snow History graphs below. Select any week of the year to see the typical Ski Conditions, Snowfall Amount and Temperature based on nowcast weather data over the last 11 years.

Could contain: Chess, Game, Chart

Source: https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sestriere/history

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My brothers and their families were in Sestriere just before covid and there was no snow. However as Paul said their snow making capabilities are excellent. The problem is though that what they produce is the only snow in the area so it gets very busy. I was last there myself back in the nineties in early January and the problem that time was too much snow. The higher runs and links to Sauxe Doux etc were closed for a few days due to avalanche risk. If you didn't like powder skiing you were in trouble. You canny win😀

edit. Livigno in Italy is usually pretty snow sure.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all. Quite a shock arriving back in Salzburgerland after spending New Year with my daughter out in the frozen land that is Stockholm City. Feels almost Spring like this morning. Another clear dawn, cirrus sky and almost full moon last night. Temp did fall to 0c in the village but remains well above freezing higher up. It has been very difficult few weeks for the piste teams to keep some of the runs open without the aid of snow makers ( that cannot function in these unprecedented warm temps) . There is hardly any snow cover in these parts below 800m. However, the runs higher up continue to operate best as is possible . The picture below is the Absolut Park that is about 1700m absl taken a couple of days ago and continues to provide great service and entertainment for those who like to flip in the heavens ! Certainly not the best start to the season, think we can go on for another week of snow drought and mild weather but snow and cold has to make an appearance for the second half of the month. Still low season in the Alps but a boost in visitors is much needed soon .

C

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Ranch, Rural, Farm, Countryside, Yard, Gate

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
15 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Morning all. Quite a shock arriving back in Salzburgerland after spending New Year with my daughter out in the frozen land that is Stockholm City. Feels almost Spring like this morning. Another clear dawn, cirrus sky and almost full moon last night. Temp did fall to 0c in the village but remains well above freezing higher up. It has been very difficult few weeks for the piste teams to keep some of the runs open without the aid of snow makers ( that cannot function in these unprecedented warm temps) . There is hardly any snow cover in these parts below 800m. However, the runs higher up continue to operate best as is possible . The picture below is the Absolut Park that is about 1700m absl taken a couple of days ago and continues to provide great service and entertainment for those who like to flip in the heavens ! Certainly not the best start to the season, think we can go on for another week of snow drought and mild weather but snow and cold has to make an appearance for the second half of the month. Still low season in the Alps but a boost in visitors is much needed soon .

C

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Ranch, Rural, Farm, Countryside, Yard, Gate

There should be some snowfall over the coming days across the alps.

• Like 1

Posted

Some cheer for the Alps from the model output this morning. ECM brings some snow. Obviously the forecast at Day 9 is less reliable, but we should be seeing widespread snow across the Alps in the coming days.😀

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, Head

• Like 2

Posted

^ Yes, 24 hours to go and some much needed snow moves into the Alps. Here's the GFS animation of snowfall for France, starting Sunday 08th morning and continuing through to Tuesday 10th morning. Red is snow. French Alps doing the best, but Switzerland and Austria also in on the action as the fronts move east. Although freezing level starts at around 1,400m on Sunday, by Tuesday this has fallen to around 400m, so even low level resorts benefitting.

animtdf0.gif

Snow depth charts indicate accumulations over the period:

Sat 07th: Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Face, Person Tues 10th:  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Face, Person, Head

Source: https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=51&mode=42&map=0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

There should be some snowfall over the coming days across the alps.

Yes, our resort at 1350m expecting the maritime air mass to produce 25cm  during period Mon -Thurs with snowline fluctuates between 1100m-1500m. So not particularly cold but much better prospects than the past 2 weeks gone. Encouraging good news from the models for start of second half of the month. Still a bit concerned about about Euro -high removal, always jam tomorrow !

C

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly needed in many resorts also for the Ski races due one this weekend?

Posted

Aye aye! What has GFS spotted now? All 3 runs today (7th Jan) going for a very nice northerly plunge around the 18th - 19th Jan. Buckets load of snow for the Alps if it materialises. I'm liking the look of the second half of January. 🤞

0z Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors 6z Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water 12z  Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm, Person

• Like 1

Posted

That looks a bit more like it. As grim as it looks in places right now, it's amazing how quick the snow can pile up in the mountains. So, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Aye aye! What has GFS spotted now? All 3 runs today (7th Jan) going for a very nice northerly plunge around the 18th - 19th Jan. Buckets load of snow for the Alps if it materialises. I'm liking the look of the second half of January. 🤞

0z Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors 6z Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water 12z  Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm, Person

Yes Malcolm, nice to see. However, 10 days out is a long wait. Maybe when it gets in the 144t time span for consistency, I will get excited.  Waiting nervously !

C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Does anyone have much experience of Mayrhofen? Particularly the local slopes which don't need a bus journey to get to them?

Am toying with the idea of a trip to Austria at some point this year it's high on the maybe list,  assuming there's some fresh snow to be had!

Posted
14 hours ago, Paul said:

Does anyone have much experience of Mayrhofen? Particularly the local slopes which don't need a bus journey to get to them?

Am toying with the idea of a trip to Austria at some point this year it's high on the maybe list,  assuming there's some fresh snow to be had!

Hi Paul, I have never skied in Mayrhofen. I know it is a bit of a party town and has super fast lift systems out of the town with some good ski/boarding. I once stayed a bit higher up the Tux valley  close to Hintertux Glacier ( Hotel Apenhof ) which provided guests with its own transport to the nearby glacier lift, so that was snow assured , however, it was a few year back. Think Mayrhofen offers good value hotels and ski-ing but no door step ski-ing.

C

Posted

I've not skied Mayrhofen @Paul but I remember a discussion with a friend some years back who had and the gondala access up to the ski area used to be a problem. But it seems this is no longer the case. This from snow-forecast.com:

The Penkenbahn has cutting-edge technology, it shows just how much fun it can be to ride a cable car in this day and age: 33 gondolas, each comprising 24 comfortable seats and wi-fi, convenient child-friendly access and above all an unusually high capacity of up to 3,840 people per hour on the downward run. Guests arrive on the Penken right at the heart of the skiing area in barely more than eight minutes. The cable car is a key step towards a mountain experience that is entirely free of stress. There are spacious ski depots at the bottom station and cable car station. The ski bus network has also been optimised to make it more convenient to get to the piste and back.
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mayrhofen

This boarders blog also a good read: https://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/austria/mayrhofen/mayrhofen-riding-guide.html