Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
19 hours ago, Paul said:

Does anyone have much experience of Mayrhofen? Particularly the local slopes which don't need a bus journey to get to them?

Am toying with the idea of a trip to Austria at some point this year it's high on the maybe list,  assuming there's some fresh snow to be had!

I’ve been to Mayrhofen before about ten years ago, it’s a great resort with relaxed Austrian culture and relatively cheaper than the French counterparts.

Yes the only thing was to get the gondola first thing in the mornings when there used to be a small but moving queue.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Sat enjoying the first Ski Sunday of the season on the telly. Shocking lack of snow in Adelboden, Switzerland, with the course a slushy mess using snow saved from December's cold spell. Thankfully some decent snowfall overnight tonight and over the next couple of days for most of the Alps. Shame it's too late for today's slalom race but Adelboden expecting around 37cms at mid mountain by close tomorrow.
Some pics of the race show the conditions:

Chemmy Alcott interview the UK team (l-r) Laurie Taylor, Billy Major and Dave Ryder (finished 19th).

Could contain: Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Man, Male, Conversation, Head, Face, Jeans

Ed Leigh and Chemmy at the finish area

Could contain: Cap, Hat, Baseball Cap, Coat, Jacket, Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Portrait

The course a strip of snow through the green

Could contain: People, Person, Man, Adult, Male, Crowd, Jacket, Coat, Clothing, Face  Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Snow, Person, Skiing, Sport, Leisure Activities

Edited by Blessed Weather
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Spare a thought for the piste team at Adelboden after their heroic struggle to have the slalom course ready for the weekend's FIS World Cup. Less than 48 hours after the race and the mountain has been totally transformed. Today it's -1C at 1,350m (the altitude of the race finish) and snowing.....

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Waking up to 20cm of very welcome fresh snowfall. -2.5c in the village and -5c on the berg.

C

Could contain: Worker, Person, Machine, Wheel, Bulldozer, Outdoors, Nature, Shovel, Tool, Tractor

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Snow

• Like 4

Posted
18 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Spare a thought for the piste team at Adelboden after their heroic struggle to have the slalom course ready for the weekend's FIS World Cup. Less than 48 hours after the race and the mountain has been totally transformed. Today it's -1C at 1,350m (the altitude of the race finish) and snowing.....

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

Yes similar at Wengen, what snow falls has now to be cleared off the track they had spent so much time and effort preparing

• Like 1

Posted

Well would you believe it . One of the forecasting agencies has just issued  Warnings of Heavy Snowfall  with immense totals expected over the next 2 weeks. North and Western Alps at greatest risk , especially North Tyrol and Silvretta with accumulations of 2.5 m and avalanche risk increasing to 4.5. Must have gone with the ECM model that shows quite deep troughing into Europe in the extended period. However, this is not the agency we use out here but nevertheless of great interest. The last time they issued a similar warning was for the heavy snows experienced in Ost Tyrol a few years back as shown in the picture below in Obertilliach, East Tyrol

C

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm

Edited by carinthian
picture
  • Like 5

Posted

It's awesome here now!

Could contain: Piste, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Man, Male

45 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Well would you believe it . One of the forecasting agencies has just issued  Warnings of Heavy Snowfall  with immense totals expected over the next 2 weeks. North and Western Alps at greatest risk , especially North Tyrol and Silvretta with accumulations of 2.5 m and avalanche risk increasing to 4.5. Must have gone with the ECM model that shows quite deep troughing into Europe in the extended period. However, this is not the agency we use out here but nevertheless of great interest. The last time they issued a similar warning was for the heavy snows experienced in Ost Tyrol a few years back as shown in the picture below in Obertilliach, East Tyrol

C

Can you provide a link to that Carinthian? The underlined one doesn't work and I'd love to see the link if possible x

• Like 4

Posted
44 minutes ago, Tills said:

It's awesome here now!

Could contain: Piste, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Man, Male

Can you provide a link to that Carinthian? The underlined one doesn't work and I'd love to see the link if possible x

I am not sure what you mean but the information is from Sturm & Gewitterjagd Tirol, a non profit weather organisation. Hope that helps. In the meantime some photos today on the local slopes. Enjoy.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Blizzard, Storm

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Hut, Nature, Countryside, Rural, Fir, Tree, Housing, House

• Like 4

Posted

So where do you learn to ski then? A ski centre indoor building thing? Or on actual real snow? Going down a mountain is somewhat terrifying. Known me I would break all my legs and arms as i'm somewhat accident prone. So maybe it's not a good idea after all!!

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

So where do you learn to ski then? A ski centre indoor building thing? Or on actual real snow? Going down a mountain is somewhat terrifying. Known me I would break all my legs and arms as i'm somewhat accident prone. So maybe it's not a good idea after all!!

Hi , personally, I hated artificial coil matting slopes. The first one I tried was at Rossendale Ski slope many years ago. I have not tried the newer indoor man made ski slopes but think that would be a start. Maybe, I could suggest the easy beginner slopes at a resort called Westerdorf in the Tyrol. Nice hotels and traditional Alpine village and not expensive. I think even if you fell , the slopes are very kind and gentle ! You should give it a go.If you take to it , you will be hooked for life .

C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Hi , personally, I hated artificial coil matting slopes. The first one I tried was at Rossendale Ski slope many years ago. I have not tried the newer indoor man made ski slopes but think that would be a start. Maybe, I could suggest the easy beginner slopes at a resort called Westerdorf in the Tyrol. Nice hotels and traditional Alpine village and not expensive. I think even if you fell , the slopes are very kind and gentle ! You should give it a go.If you take to it , you will be hooked for life .

C

Thank you sweetpea! 😄

Posted

My experience of indoor artifical snow is that they are very good for anyone wanting to learn. Fully qualified instructors, usually a very shallow and short learners area before going on the larger slope. Give it a try. The 'snow' is made exactly as it is in the Alps when they are short of real snow. Water blown out at very low temperatures and then pisted by similar machines to what you see in the alps, smaller of course. Give it a try but persevere a few times to get the hang of it. Like C said if you like it then you will be hooked.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
35 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I've skied the indoor slopes at Hemel. Manchester and Castleford and they are good for beginners as they are short not to steep so you can't get that much speed up so ideal to learn on before venturing out on the real stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For anyone interested in the Lauberhorn races this coming week and weekend this is a link

The weekend after is the Kitzbuhel races, even more terrifying in my view!.

I usually watch the Saturday downhill from the railway restaurant just below the Lauberhorn start. Have to get in early as it fills up with mainly Austrian and Swiss, fabulous atmosphere

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

My experience of indoor artifical snow is that they are very good for anyone wanting to learn. Fully qualified instructors, usually a very shallow and short learners area before going on the larger slope. Give it a try. The 'snow' is made exactly as it is in the Alps when they are short of real snow. Water blown out at very low temperatures and then pisted by similar machines to what you see in the alps, smaller of course. Give it a try but persevere a few times to get the hang of it. Like C said if you like it then you will be hooked.

Thank you! Might be the cheaper option initially!

1 hour ago, jonboy said:

I've skied the indoor slopes at Hemel. Manchester and Castleford and they are good for beginners as they are short not to steep so you can't get that much speed up so ideal to learn on before venturing out on the real stuff

Perfect! Looks like i'll be booking a weekend away somewhere then!

Posted
7 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

Forecasts starting to look rather exciting. This evening's ECM 12z continuing to run with its forecast of substantial troughing into Europe next week. The Alps about to go from snow famine to snow feast. I'm due to drive down to Meribel on Friday 20th. It could be a snowy journey right across Europe! Winter tyres on and snow socks at the ready......

Animation Sat 14th to Fri 20th: animhrt9.gif

Snow depths by Fri 20th:  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Plant, Tree, Outdoors

Links: 

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=0&mode=1&map=0&type=0&archive=0

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/medium-snow-sic?base_time=202301101200&projection=opencharts_central_europe&valid_time=202301201200

• Like 4

Posted

Yes Malcolm, dream charts from ECM. Lets hope the trend continues. Much welcome snow in the resorts to day,  Hope the big improvement continues for your Meribel trip. I did once ski into the village a few years back now when I stayed in nearby St Martin De Beville ( think it spelt like that ). I loved the Jerusalem run !   Sure you will have fun.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Yes all change now. Checking Tignes for my daughter heading out on Saturday, Now 109 cms packed powder at resort level and 230 cms up top. She may well strike it lucky but may have a bit too much falling snow at times and maybe some pretty cold temps.

• Like 2

Posted
On 10/01/2023 at 14:00, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I know others have given really helpful responses already, but I thought I would reply as someone who has terrible balance, is rather physically weak and having physio for knee problems.... that yes, it helps to get any sort of ski lessons here either on dry or artificial snow slopes. A lot of it is about learning the leg positions, working on building a tiny bit of strength and working towards mastering the fear of sliding downhill. If you can get even a teensy head start on this before hitting a ski resort, it helps with the anxiety you may feel, especially on that first day! I was the one in the class who literally couldn't ski for the entire week, couldn't get on or off the ski lift (I still find it very difficult) and was frankly an instructor's nightmare. Then I found my confidence on the very last day and whizzed down those slopes. Years later, my confidence remained until a super-icy slope filled me with terror and I was back with the beginners where I have stayed to this day! In my case I love it, am terrible at it and have really had to persevere for only a modicum of success. You will almost definitely be better than me, so good luck, I really hope it goes well for you.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 10/01/2023 at 14:00, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just to add to the other replies. Years ago I took my kids to the indoor slope at Braehead in Glasgow and was pleasantly surprised by how good the snow was. Sadly it is now closed but if it is representative it is worth a try.

Regarding confidence my brothers sadly now late wife on her first trip abroad was so terrified that the the instructor actually abandoned her and her pal about two hundred yards from a mountain restaurant on a blue/green run. (would not happen now I suspect). They stayed where they were not even thinking that they could have taken off their skis and walked to the restaurant and only got there when we spotted them when going up a chairlift nearby and then noticed that they were still there about half an hour later. Anyway the point is that three years later she was skiing off piste in Serre Chevalier and a year later skied a couple of blacks at Val Thorens. It is very much about confidence.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

After the snow drought, condition look lovely this morning after the recent snowfall. 

C

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Mountain, Snow, Scenery, Peak, Mountain Range

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 6

Posted

This is the impressive lift that links the many Sk- Amade Resorts in Snow Space Salzburg. One of the biggest  inter -linked networks of ski runs in the world that joins Zauchensee, Wagrain and Alpendorf via 7 peaks and also one of the most snow assured regions as well.  Traditionalists of Alpine ski-ing and ambiance will love this area. I now venture no further .

C

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Vehicle, Transportation

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This was above Alpendorf yesterday. I love ski-ing down to mountain huts.

C

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Person, Scenery, Snow, Skiing, Sport, Leisure Activities

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1