Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

My trip to Flaine in two weeks now looking much better!  Hopefully we'll be able to ski everywhere and into some of the lower valleys.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

Nice early morning conditions in Zauchensee after a top of powder snow last night.  Sunny today but very windy on top runs.

C

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Vegetation, Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Landscape, Sun, Slope

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Tree, Fir, Utility Pole, Snow, Scenery, Peak, Landscape, Vehicle

Appreciate these pictures, thanks. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My daughter has arrived in Tignes this afternoon. First pic en route and second on arrival. Looking good!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Mountain, Scenery, Mountain Range, Peak, Lake, Water, Landscape

Could contain: Building, Urban, City, Hotel, Bus, Building Complex, Neighborhood, Person, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
14 hours ago, Norrance said:

My daughter has arrived in Tignes this afternoon. First pic en route and second on arrival. Looking good!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Mountain, Scenery, Mountain Range, Peak, Lake, Water, Landscape

Could contain: Building, Urban, City, Hotel, Bus, Building Complex, Neighborhood, Person, Nature, Outdoors

Looking good indeed Norrance and about to get a whole lot better with snow falling on most days this coming week. I hope your daughter enjoys the challenge of skiing whilst it's snowing. I used to really enjoy being out in extreme conditions but nowadays my knees object to the hammering they get when you can't see the lumps, bumps and undulations. Remind your daughter of this key info - the piste marker poles at the side of the pistes have an orange tip on the right hand side of the piste when you're descending. If you find an orange tipped pole on your left then you've drifted off the piste!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

😀 My own knees always objected to hidden bumps but she should be fine especially as she is a cautious skier who prefers to try and look stylish. Not so easy with new snow covering bumps though! I think that they are going out with a guide from their accommodation in the first couple of days which will help get their bearings. . View from her room this morning.

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Scenery, Nature, Resort, Hotel, City, Urban, Ice, Winter

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted

Ps she has messaged to say ta for that titbit @Blessed Weather. Visibility is poor and they can't see the bumps. Have covered quire a bit of ground this morning despite that (30kms+ she says) with one fall😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good start to the new week, following fresh overnight snowfalls in the area.

C

Could contain: Lounge, Furniture, Indoors, Building, Architecture, Bird, Animal, Outdoors

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Snow starting to ease of a bit in Tignes now but yesterday and this morning some lifts and areas were closed. Daughter has already been stuck twice with lifts closing without warning. Hopefully some better weather to come to enjoy the perfect powder conditions present.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Piste, Snow, Sport, Person, Glove, Helmet, Skiing, Shoe

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted

First glimpse of sun since the day that they arrived.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Vehicle, Transportation, Person

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Skies clearing but getting cold as the high pressure builds. -20C for Friday. Perfect snow conditions for the next couple of days.

Could contain: Piste, Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Sport, Boat, Vehicle, Transportation, Ice, Person

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
On 10/01/2023 at 11:56, Tills said:

It's awesome here now!

Could contain: Piste, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Man, Male

Can you provide a link to that Carinthian? The underlined one doesn't work and I'd love to see the link if possible x

On 10/01/2023 at 11:11, carinthian said:

Well would you believe it . One of the forecasting agencies has just issued  Warnings of Heavy Snowfall  with immense totals expected over the next 2 weeks. North and Western Alps at greatest risk , especially North Tyrol and Silvretta with accumulations of 2.5 m and avalanche risk increasing to 4.5. Must have gone with the ECM model that shows quite deep troughing into Europe in the extended period. However, this is not the agency we use out here but nevertheless of great interest. The last time they issued a similar warning was for the heavy snows experienced in Ost Tyrol a few years back as shown in the picture below in Obertilliach, East Tyrol

C

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm

Morning all , hats off to the forecasting agency who got that snow forecast made 10 days ago ( above post ). Currently in the Snow Space Salzburg Resorts, snow has fallen continuously for the past 24 hours. Another 20cm added overnight in Zauchensee. Further accumulation forecast for the next 5 days  with at least with 30cm forecast in that period at 1340m and probably more with height increase. Looks like widespread snowfall across much of the Alpine countries with French Resorts showing some really impressive snowfall amounts. Picture below taken yesterday travelling up the local mountain and just how it should be ,but visibility not to my liking . Nice to see Scottish Resort also joining in with the snow fun and hope those forecast SWly later soon get squashed up there.

C

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Tree, Plant

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A new one for me. Perfect sunshine and snow in Tignes today but lifts closed as too cold on the hill. <-20C in resort. So they are on a bus to Val D'Isere.

Could contain: Slope, Mountain, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Landscape, Peak, Mountain Range, Scenery, Glacier

• Like 5

Posted

Some snowy pictures up in Alpendorf this morning.

C

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Vehicle, Transportation, Ski Lift, Dagger, Weapon, Knife, Blade

Could contain: Tree, Plant, Fir, Housing, Building, Architecture, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Fir, Tree, Plant, Housing, Building, Architecture, Shelter, Outdoors, House, Cabin In The Woods

Could contain: Tree, Plant, Fir, Pine, Nature, Outdoors, Snow

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Norrance said:

A new one for me. Perfect sunshine and snow in Tignes today but lifts closed as too cold on the hill. <-20C in resort. So they are on a bus to Val D'Isere.

-20c too cold? Can you not ski in certain temperatures then?

Posted
12 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

It could get too cold but skiing often takes place at -20C especially in North America. Perhaps there was a significant wind chill further up the mountain early this morning. Anyway they got skiing this morning and I think are planning to ski back over from Val D'isere to Tignes if the links open.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I've skied on Mount Sima in the Yukon, Canada, and at Stowe, Vermont, USA and at both resorts the cut-off temperature at which the mountain would be closed for skiing was -25C. The reason given was the risk of frostbite on exposed skin. My daughter was living in Whitehorse near Mount Sima at the time and I have to say it's quite something to experience ice forming on your eye lashes. It makes blinking feel very strange! 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
44 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I've skied on Mount Sima in the Yukon, Canada, and at Stowe, Vermont, USA and at both resorts the cut-off temperature at which the mountain would be closed for skiing was -25C. The reason given was the risk of frostbite on exposed skin. My daughter was living in Whitehorse near Mount Sima at the time and I have to say it's quite something to experience ice forming on your eye lashes. It makes blinking feel very strange! 😄

Loved sking Stowe even went to the Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory whilst the wife went to the Von Trapp lodge. Nothing better than a New England breakfast with muffins in the afternoon

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

You learn something new everyday!!

• Like 1

Posted

This was the scene just out of the local town yesterday during the snowfall. Altenmarkt im Pongau, is the home to Atomic Ski and the biggest employer regionally and produces 600,000 skis annually.

C

Could contain: Tree, Plant, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Winter, Snow, Car, Scenery

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Looks just like the Essex countryside every 20 years. 🤣

• Like 3

Posted

Last morning for Katherine in Tignes so she tried something different. Lovely day again.

• Like 2