Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good news from Austria. No corvid test required for Brits 72 hours prior to enter Austria  for the fully vaccinated ( from 25th Feb )  Currently , plenty of fresh snowfall in the Austrian Alps with 30 cm or more overnight. Temp -9c in the village.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Get in there Dave!! A great win for the No. 1 British skier in the FIS Kitzbühel slalom this afternoon. And in very difficult conditions with heavy snow falling throughout the race. A real boost for the UK ski team with only a few weeks until the Olympics. It's cheered me up as I was meant to be in the French Alps this week but Macron lifted the ban too late. (Thank you to John Holmes for the heads-up).

Dave Ryding becomes first Briton to win Alpine skiing World Cup race after stunning victory in Kitzbuhel slalom

Source: https://www.eurosport.co.uk/alpine-skiing/kitzbuhel/2021-2022/dave-ryding-becomes-first-briton-to-win-alpine-skiing-world-cup-race-after-stunning-victory-in-kitzb_sto8729942/story.shtml

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Get in there Dave!! A great win for the No. 1 British skier in the FIS Kitzbühel slalom this afternoon. And in very difficult conditions with heavy snow falling throughout the race. A real boost for the UK ski team with only a few weeks until the Olympics. It's cheered me up as I was meant to be in the French Alps this week but Macron lifted the ban too late. (Thank you to John Holmes for the heads-up).

Dave Ryding becomes first Briton to win Alpine skiing World Cup race after stunning victory in Kitzbuhel slalom

Source: https://www.eurosport.co.uk/alpine-skiing/kitzbuhel/2021-2022/dave-ryding-becomes-first-briton-to-win-alpine-skiing-world-cup-race-after-stunning-victory-in-kitzb_sto8729942/story.shtml

What a fantastic achievement! Just watched it…that and the bobsleigh teams is something to really watch at the Olympics

• Like 1

Posted

A fresh top up of snow in the village today. A few more Brits coming tomorrow to enjoy the great snow conditions. Still very quiet with limited apre but plenty of open pistes to enjoy.

C

272809910_4904672732931661_5499941600988426109_n.jpg

272882262_4904672706264997_256103880702670326_n.jpg

272823798_4904672719598329_3944625607452164349_n.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Conditions not too bad in the Dolomites today, lots of sunshine and hard packed snow, but the wind is picking up. Might get a bit of snow over the next couple of days, however it'll probably get blown off to the piste as indeed will I if the cross wind pick up further

• Like 1

Posted

Cold front arrived just before Lunch. Forecast of 60cm fresh snowfall from now until Wednesday. Camera at the ready.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
4 hours ago, carinthian said:

Cold front arrived just before Lunch. Forecast of 60cm fresh snowfall from now until Wednesday. Camera at the ready.

C

Seems to be turning out quite a good winter for you over there with regular snowfalls topping up the baseHow is this season going compared to normal snow wise over there and if you could send a little our way during February it would be greatly appreciated I have literally seen about 5 minutes of snowfall all winter in this part of NW Kent which obviously didn’t settle.That said have had a fair few frosts in January so not all bad and been incredibly dry here-not had measurable rain here for over 3 weeks which is amazing for January !!

Posted
50 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

Seems to be turning out quite a good winter for you over there with regular snowfalls topping up the baseHow is this season going compared to normal snow wise over there and if you could send a little our way during February it would be greatly appreciated I have literally seen about 5 minutes of snowfall all winter in this part of NW Kent which obviously didn’t settle.That said have had a fair few frosts in January so not all bad and been incredibly dry here-not had measurable rain here for over 3 weeks which is amazing for January !!

Hi there, not good winter charts for you guys looking for cold and snow. However, the position of that incumbent high zone has been good for the Eastern Alps in Austria, much more so than for France. I would rank this January as in the top end for regular snow top ups. 50cm or more over the next day or two should suffice a forecast Euro High for a week or two. Certainly the weather has not been mundane, like for many in Western Europe this winter. I am sure your winter will arrive sometime in Spring ! In the meantime the winter Olympics due to start soon with artificial snow in a costly abundance. Crazy the Winter Olympics  are being held in dry China, especially when Salzburgs bid was over looked ! Over here we have perfect natural snow conditions  with a true Alpine atmosphere with no contention of human rights issues. Hey, thats another subject.

C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking like some moderate to heavy snow expected over the Alps in the not too distant future.

intense-snowfalls-northern-alps-norway-t
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

A lot of snow will fall in Austria and Switzerland early this week, then in southwest Norway in the second half. A quasi-stationary Rossby wave keeps influencing the weather pattern over...

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, carinthian said:

Hi there, not good winter charts for you guys looking for cold and snow. However, the position of that incumbent high zone has been good for the Eastern Alps in Austria, much more so than for France. I would rank this January as in the top end for regular snow top ups. 50cm or more over the next day or two should suffice a forecast Euro High for a week or two. Certainly the weather has not been mundane, like for many in Western Europe this winter. I am sure your winter will arrive sometime in Spring ! In the meantime the winter Olympics due to start soon with artificial snow in a costly abundance. Crazy the Winter Olympics  are being held in dry China, especially when Salzburgs bid was over looked ! Over here we have perfect natural snow conditions  with a true Alpine atmosphere with no contention of human rights issues. Hey, thats another subject.

C

Snowstorm just clearing in the mid -afternoon period. Breaks in the cloud temp falling to -9c

272997569_4916488171750117_3020610104214944314_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
17 hours ago, carinthian said:

Snowstorm just clearing in the mid -afternoon period. Breaks in the cloud temp falling to -9c

272997569_4916488171750117_3020610104214944314_n.jpg

An update this morning. Heavy snow setting in again earlier this morning. Currently plenty of moisture fueling the band of snow and cloud. Its not unusual in this current synoptic set up for a local convergence stationary zone to produce some deep snow.

C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

An update this morning. Heavy snow setting in again earlier this morning. Currently plenty of moisture fueling the band of snow and cloud. Its not unusual in this current synoptic set up for a local convergence stationary zone to produce some deep snow.

C

That picture is just amazing.Enjoy your latest snow fix.The wait here goes on with sadly nothing on the horizon for next 2 weeks snow wise and more likely longer than that☹️keep sending the Pictures though

• Like 3

Posted

Still it snows. Latest pictures this evening under the night lights.

C

273160703_10160078764683628_8038681852760674911_n.jpg

273204791_10160078764638628_4078440014134206087_n.jpg

273169037_10160078764813628_2407255013632274058_n.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Nice little remote ski hutte off the run down from The Rosskopt today.

C

273296252_4923598454372422_5674434079102147464_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, carinthian said:

Nice little remote ski hutte off the run down from The Rosskopt today.

C

273296252_4923598454372422_5674434079102147464_n.jpg

Would love to see what view it has downslope and how far on a clear day?

Posted
8 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Would love to see what view it has downslope and how far on a clear day?

@johnholmes Its located at about 1500m  in a sunny posItion ( when its out ) a bit of a pole but not too far off the nearby Highliner Ski lift. Yes, the  view can be special at times towards The Gasteins Alpen Region and Gross Glockner easily viewed beyond. Its a long old run down to base station in Flaucwinkl for older legs especially later in the season when it can get warm lower down the valley near to the A10 that links Salzburg to the southern city of Villach. However, plenty of nice long blue runs back to the village, mostly on the Northern slopes. More importantly some very nice mountain huts for refreshments. I am looking forward to old stalwarts of Gatwick Caledonian Ski Club ( You will remember British Caledonian Airways back in the 70-80s ?) making a visit later this month. Think booze is going to be high on their priorities . Keep taking the pills , my old son !

C

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

@johnholmes Its located at about 1500m  in a sunny posItion ( when its out ) a bit of a pole but not too far off the nearby Highliner Ski lift. Yes, the  view can be special at times towards The Gasteins Alpen Region and Gross Glockner easily viewed beyond. Its a long old run down to base station in Flaucwinkl for older legs especially later in the season when it can get warm lower down the valley near to the A10 that links Salzburg to the southern city of Villach. However, plenty of nice long blue runs back to the village, mostly on the Northern slopes. More importantly some very nice mountain huts for refreshments. I am looking forward to old stalwarts of Gatwick Caledonian Ski Club ( You will remember British Caledonian Airways back in the 70-80s ?) making a visit later this month. Think booze is going to be high on their priorities . Keep taking the pills , my old son !

C

I seem to live on them recently, but hey I am still here and not too bad for almost 83, luckier than a lot I have known

Posted
26 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I seem to live on them recently, but hey I am still here and not too bad for almost 83, luckier than a lot I have known

Rock on !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

For those lucky enough to be heading to the Alps skiing this month (COVID willing) a look at conditions and forecast. Recent snow for northern and eastern Alps but still high pressure signal is strong before and through half term. Snow showers for Scotland but not enough, and also very windy. Might have to keep watching the Winter Olympics instead. 

Thanks to @weathertoski 

0207nasaski5th.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

As new or postponed Half-term skiing plans come into view and there has been significant snowfall for some Alpine resorts this weekend. The Northern Alps look okay but high pressure remains.

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful shot from Katschberg this morning, where the black run meets the blue run. Sunshine ☀ today after a 45 cm snowfall in the area yesterday.

C

273677799_5172694646076434_4739467590651068938_n.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Beautiful shot from Katschberg this morning, where the black run meets the blue run. Sunshine ☀ today after a 45 cm snowfall in the area yesterday.

C

273677799_5172694646076434_4739467590651068938_n.jpg

Morning, I sent a message, jo

Posted
On 08/02/2022 at 08:50, Jo Farrow said:

For those lucky enough to be heading to the Alps skiing this month (COVID willing) a look at conditions and forecast. Recent snow for northern and eastern Alps but still high pressure signal is strong before and through half term. Snow showers for Scotland but not enough, and also very windy. Might have to keep watching the Winter Olympics instead. 

Thanks to @weathertoski 

0207nasaski5th.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

As new or postponed Half-term skiing plans come into view and there has been significant snowfall for some Alpine resorts this weekend. The Northern Alps look okay but high pressure remains.

Thanks Jo, a great run through for those lucky enough to be off to those favoured areas.

• Like 1

Posted

A lovely day in the mountains.  Sunshine and perfect slopes.

c

273643940_10158243234332536_1896895802629412000_n.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Some pictures from the local area today after another snowfall earlier today.

C

273820750_4948759385189662_8676657283931411066_n.jpg

273893445_4948759538522980_466923683312390991_n.jpg