Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Good Morning

any thoughts on snow for our region tonight/tomorrow?

Models still suggesting initial band originally for tomorrow morning is now out West, albeit much reduced.  Overnight and into NYD another front moves N to S, again weakening as it approaches and this still shown as a mix of snow/sleet then rain.

Next week looking slightly more positive with showers moving inland from the East on Monday and Tuesday initially, although another debate going on in the MOD thread regarding whether uppers will be cold enough!   

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Models still suggesting initial band originally for tomorrow morning is now out West, albeit much reduced.  Overnight and into NYD another front moves N to S, again weakening as it approaches and this still shown as a mix of snow/sleet then rain.

Next week looking slightly more positive with showers moving inland from the East on Monday and Tuesday initially, although another debate going on in the MOD thread regarding whether uppers will be cold enough!   

Updated Meto Yellow Warning for snow and ice seems to confirm the above in terms of a west based event for tomorrow.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
50 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Updated Meto Yellow Warning for snow and ice seems to confirm the above in terms of a west based event for tomorrow.

Yes but still cant get my head around it

anim_kio2.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Cold and frosty overnight with some wintry showers.

This Evening and Tonight:

Most areas staying dry with lengthy clear spells allowing temperatures to fall below freezing with a widespread frost. Chance of some snow showers affecting the Pennines, giving further accumulations. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Thursday:

Another cold and bright day with frost slow to lift and further wintry showers near coasts. These spreading inland later in the day with some accumulations likely over higher ground. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Staying cold into the New Year. Further wintry showers likely through the weekend, with some accumulations likely. Overnight frost and freezing fog patches slowly clearing by day.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Wed 30 Dec 2020

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Seems like one of those periods where we just need to keep checking the radar for actual events. Seems like anything could pop up over the next few days 

Always the chance of more accumulations

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Already down to -0.5c here under clear skies. UKV suggesting we could go as low as -5c or -6c tonight before temperatures pick up a little later on in the night.

Big shame about the change in precipitation forecasts for tomorrow morning. Hoping for some snow showers from the east early next week instead.

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted

0.5 here already.

Still some patchy snow and slush cover too. Only a bit of slow melt today.

Roads going to bad in the morning!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Lala land with the GFS shows the cold spell coming to gentle close the end off next week. Too far away to take seriously at the moment. Thursday nights weather looking very iffy by now so probably a dead duck. Inland should get some snow/sleet showers possible Sunday night and Monday. Getting a bit far ahead really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frost
1 hour ago, Winter Cold said:

0.5 here already.

Still some patchy snow and slush cover too. Only a bit of slow melt today.

Roads going to bad in the morning!

Very limited melt today in Bramley.  Back garden still has a good solid covering of snow and even still plenty on our side road, where it has not been impacted by vehicles. Great to see lying snow for a couple of days for the first time since March 18.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, EuroBlizzard said:

Very limited melt today in Bramley.  Back garden still has a good solid covering of snow and even still plenty on our side road, where it has not been impacted by vehicles. Great to see lying snow for a couple of days for the first time since March 18.

Yes I agree. It's been lovely to look out at a winter scene today! Even the sun had that nice hazy feel behind the cloud and the light you only get with low sun and snow.

Down to -1.5 here now, it's falling very fast. Road is compacted ice like yours, think it will stick around tomorrow too. Hoping for a top up soon haha!

Posted

ECM looks about as good as it could upto 144hours. Showers packing in off the North Sea. Would like uppers of -7 / -8 but -5 might be ok away from the coast!

ECMOPEU12_144_2.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

shot back up to 0.9C here a while back now dropping again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

-1.6c here now. Been a grand day really and now a harsh frost to top it off.

However on the model side of things I have to have a little moan. We’re seeing great charts being churned out at the moment but so far always at D7-10. For example, the easterly early next week was trending colder but apart from the UKMO there have been some steps back away from that now too. Is some settling snow at low levels near(ish) to the coast too much to ask for? 

Posted

Gfs having tomorrow a non event now, precipitation from North rapidly weakening as it spreads south Thursday evening. 

As soon as anything moves south across the spine of the country the Highlands and Southern uplands eat it all up. Looked promising a day or two ago when it looked like pushing in from the North East.

• Thanks 1

Posted

A mild low of -1C here now -0.7C will have to wait until tonight too see what the weather gods have in store for us.

• Like 1

Posted

-3 here in Bingley. No precipitation. 

Just can't get excited about this cold spell tbh.

• Like 2

Posted

Well after seeing the 00z gfs control run I thought O hear we come downgrades on the way! 

But ECM,UKMO,GEM all great medium to long term, can't hope for any better than that :) 

Need to see gfs essembles hopefully they on par

Posted
1 hour ago, joggs said:

-3 here in Bingley. No precipitation. 

Just can't get excited about this cold spell tbh.

I think it's a shame that where likely to not get anything today now apart from maybe a mere dusting later.. But for me it's stil a very decent cold spell, every thing gradually geting colder and snow on the hills all around otley/ilkley. Aslong as this cold stays locked in chances will present themselves! Also the more days we can squeeze with temps only 1 / 2c with night frosts down to -2, this wil prime the ground for the future, future marginal snow events tip inour favour and even rain can become a freezing rain event lol.

I don't trust the forecasted temps of 4 / 5 c next week, I think under cloud cover or precipitation temps could struggle higher than 2c in places..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Here's my ratings of this mornings run in terms of snow chances and potential:

ECM - 9/10 Bitterly cold north easterly incoming.

GEM - 8.5/10 - North easterly incoming

UKMO - 8.5/10 - Looks primed at 144h for great retrogression of high to greenland and low plunging south pulling in north easterlies, shame run doesn't go any further.

GFS control run - 7/10 - Upto 264h pretty decent synoptically 

GFS essembles - 7.75/10 - Good cluster below -5 850 hpa until around 7/12 then after that FI but still with a good amount of members around -5, signs of long sustained cold.

ICON - 6/10 - Looks not so great with a slight warm up but it does look like the cold just about to hang in and more retrogression on the way.

All in all delighted with this mornings output. Great long term but like others have alluded would just like

*Deeper cold pooling into europe/russia/scandinavia.

*Uppers of -7/8 when sun-tue easterly packs the showers in.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

I don't trust the forecasted temps of 4 / 5 c next week, I think under cloud cover or precipitation temps could struggle higher than 2c in places..

Hi all, Long term lurker, but decided to jump on board this year as feels and certainly looks different in terms of the outputs from the models so couldn’t resist. Thanks for everyone’s contribution still learning and some of the learning that I have done is down to you guys. Ta Very much! 

Just on the above, I too can not trust these forecasted temps last night is a prime example according to forecast should have been -1 it is currently -4.2 with a dewpoint of -5.4. Not what I expected.

Off the back of this I a have question, how does this effect the models? In 2 hours time the temperature in my locale should be 3 degrees, now, for my learning eyes that’s quite a temperature swing in a very short amount of time. The forecast also suggests a rain shower during this time period those figures don’t look marginal and I’m yet to see any background signs that will help push these temperatures up so quickly. So if precipitation falls as snow when a model has predicted rain how does this effect surface temperatures, dew-points, cooling/warming and any other background signals? I know this has happened already  across different regions so is something I would like to look into in relation to the accuracy of model output. Thanks again!

• Like 2