Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
1 hour ago, Maltonman said:

Some great snow pictures out there! Especially yours Cold Winter

The proper snow forecasts for us to the east of the region never seem to get any closer,will be end of January at this rate.

Yeah there has been some promise at Day 5+ on several occasions and some nearer term possibilities but so far we’ve been the wrong side of marginal, except for Christmas Eve when there was a short-lived dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Cracking rainbow over Farndale in North York Moors this afternoon. Snowcover remains above 300m.

03151C90-EE00-46FF-B678-D618B9A6625B.thumb.jpeg.0abf1b8a6197d233f9260c2cb636061e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Must have been a good couple of inches here in Garforth this morning as the garden is still looking like a winter wonderland. Was only a cm or 2 at work in Cleckheaton which had almost gone when I left work at 2pm. Here's hoping for some more, bigger dumplings in the coming weeks! 20201229_145235.thumb.jpg.9bde86fd4d469592a945d067456920bc.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like 12z upgrades are back!

UKMO solid with next weeks evolution 

UN120-21.gif.79632779d6777e6a290b7b5289f90bf9.thumb.gif.a461e08de2247bad9296bbf5febdb1cd.gifimage.png.63003945a3244c3c339ca696e7949cdc.thumb.png.a16c2bdf975b9870591189bfc9d13876.png

Massive upgrade for Thursday morning on icon 12z

overview_20201229_12_046.thumb.jpg.5b4fadb47dcd21240a6f7301e3b64e17.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

12z Harmonie at the same time has the precipitation missing Yorkshire and going down the west side of UK.

9971A283-F190-442D-AA9F-72B22B767162.png

Lets hope ICON has it right!

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted
8 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

12z Harmonie at the same time has the precipitation missing Yorkshire and going down the west side of UK.

9971A283-F190-442D-AA9F-72B22B767162.png

Lets hope ICON has it right!

Its still got to head south from there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I'm surprised there's been no warnings put out by met for ice tonight, this snow on ground that's been thawing during day will freeze making untreated roads and footpaths like skating rinks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Thursday we get a second byte at the cherry after missing the first part. This will be a snow to rain by the looks of it later in the night. However things change so again a case of nowcasting.  Not much left of the snow here a patchy cover on the lawn and pavements clear. At the moment the cold spell looks set to continue into next week.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its still got to head south from there!

Unfortunately it just takes the whole lot south west...

Rest of sequence...

89253CBB-8717-4487-88BA-F82AA754ADFC.png

DBF6C77D-9960-4166-8222-77ABA9FE7A70.png

E9CEC808-E395-4014-9927-37E1672D7D7F.png

GFS looks to be somewhere between the ICON and Harmonie but still only just skims Pennines.

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted

There's always the night

viewimage.png

Posted
11 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Unfortunately it just takes the whole lot south west...

Rest of sequence...

89253CBB-8717-4487-88BA-F82AA754ADFC.png

DBF6C77D-9960-4166-8222-77ABA9FE7A70.png

E9CEC808-E395-4014-9927-37E1672D7D7F.png

GFS looks to be somewhere between the ICON and Harmonie but still only just skims Pennines.

That recurve of the snow for the south doing us no favours then.

We could do with that heading south east!

Lots of uncertainty id take another night like last night but a little disappointing its looking like snow to rain.

If the continebt was colder it would be all snow

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

There's always the night

viewimage.png

Is this a new development due to how far west the original precipitation goes

Snow just as the clock strikes 12 would be nice!

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Is this a new development due to how far west the original precipitation goes

Snow just as the clock strikes 12 would be nice!

Nope on the original run but people didn't click any further in when they the saw the first lot of precipitation going west.

Posted
8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Nope on the original run but people didn't click any further in when they the saw the first lot of precipitation going west.

Harmonie only goes out to +48hrs so last frame is 13.00 on 31st.  GFS shows the 2nd band for 12 hours later as rain for most apart from highest ground.

BD57B32F-C8FE-4AF5-B095-A78AD26778B2.png

But as Scott suggests, still time for change of track.

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted

The problem with thursdays snow is not that we are going to miss it (too far west) it's that it will turn to rain on it's back edge or simply start melting in the afternoon.

Such a shame as for days thursdays event was progged for the evening/night, but now it's quickly been brought forward. At night any thaw with higher uppers been brought in with precipitation, would have been minimal and probably followed by a frost.

Never mind on the flip side most of us should get to see snow falling at a nice time, not some antisocial time through the night lol.

Here's likeliest position of snow band come noon. 

GFSOPUK12_48_53.png

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Harmonie only goes out to +48hrs so last frame is 13.00 on 31st.  GFS shows the 2nd band for 12 hours later as rain for most apart from highest ground.

BD57B32F-C8FE-4AF5-B095-A78AD26778B2.png

But as Scott suggests, still time for change of track.

I think the second lot will be more in way of showers, if they come late enough tyeing in with arrival of tad colder uppers of -6 from the north that may just give us some snow that sticks around with little to no melt. 

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

So where are we at with the end of the week and into the weekend?

Models show winds turning NE or E and I thought E is always best as you don't need as low dew points etc.

Yet we're talking about still marginal and snow to rain. I thought it was due to get colder into end of the week?

Bit confused tbh, guess things change

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Evening all

i have been for a walk to clear my head today and decided to go up Bolsterstone near Stockbridge and there was less snow up there than where i live,the intensity must of dwindled a bit but i still enjoyed getting out

snow snaps from earlier.

DSC03189.thumb.JPG.3ae533c734da6073e403239402ecf150.JPGDSC03190.thumb.JPG.67a1915bd2d68b65ea003f16d2192fc9.JPGDSC03191.thumb.JPG.88d397b22eb55db93b05ffb868fa2227.JPG

DSC03195.thumb.JPG.fbb8735ffccbfb699c45c435f2cc590b.JPGDSC03196.thumb.JPG.d245299908c69104da63f424a0866752.JPGDSC03197.thumb.JPG.dd20ad2e18eb7f0953bd8dea9a4163d2.JPG

these two where my fave of the lenticular clouds in the sunset with the snow in the foreground.

DSC03193.thumb.JPG.001be1fbe3375f0d2c80ed227a32c335.JPGDSC03194.thumb.JPG.46d54cfe65bca48f9d9897cf0736bfdb.JPG

looking forward to Thu/Fri chances.

• Like 4

Posted
57 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

So where are we at with the end of the week and into the weekend?

Models show winds turning NE or E and I thought E is always best as you don't need as low dew points etc.

Yet we're talking about still marginal and snow to rain. I thought it was due to get colder into end of the week?

Bit confused tbh, guess things change

The further inland and the higher you are the more confident you can be of snow.

Thursday morning looks like an all snow event away from the immediate coast, NMM showing this nicely.

spacer.png

On Friday the winds veer north easterly and we start to bring in some convective showers off the North Sea but with 850hpa temps of -4 to -6c, which would probably limit any snow falling to high ground.

NMM showing mostly rain for eastern areas on Friday with associated 850s. 

spacer.png spacer.png

The long sea track of these NE winds is the issue with the North Sea still being relatively warm. Later in the weekend it looks like the 850s may lower somewhat and the winds turn more ENE which would increase the chance of anything from the NE falling as snow due to a shorter sea track. Our best bet of snow is disturbances in the flow such as this morning where we can see heavy more prolonged precip which include evaporative cooling which can help the snow level drop despite 850s only being -3/4c at best.

For myself situated close to sea level only 25 miles from the coast, bar the odd surprise such as this morning I'm not expecting anything significant, I'm hoping that the high will eventually retrogress to Greenland and we see a pulse of colder air injected into the northerly flow so we don't have to worry above warm sectors etc. Meanwhile some decent frosts and some small temporary snowfall events to keep us interested.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

Looking forward to Thursday morning it’s looking like my location could receive a good period of snow maybe an inch or so before slightly warmer air cuts through maybe turning to rain/drizzle on back edge be nice to see some snow in daylight hours for the kids to enjoy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
38 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

The further inland and the higher you are the more confident you can be of snow.

Thursday morning looks like an all snow event away from the immediate coast, NMM showing this nicely.

spacer.png

On Friday the winds veer north easterly and we start to bring in some convective showers off the North Sea but with 850hpa temps of -4 to -6c, which would probably limit any snow falling to high ground.

NMM showing mostly rain for eastern areas on Friday with associated 850s. 

spacer.png spacer.png

The long sea track of these NE winds is the issue with the North Sea still being relatively warm. Later in the weekend it looks like the 850s may lower somewhat and the winds turn more ENE which would increase the chance of anything from the NE falling as snow due to a shorter sea track. Our best bet of snow is disturbances in the flow such as this morning where we can see heavy more prolonged precip which include evaporative cooling which can help the snow level drop despite 850s only being -3/4c at best.

For myself situated close to sea level only 25 miles from the coast, bar the odd surprise such as this morning I'm not expecting anything significant, I'm hoping that the high will eventually retrogress to Greenland and we see a pulse of colder air injected into the northerly flow so we don't have to worry above warm sectors etc. Meanwhile some decent frosts and some small temporary snowfall events to keep us interested.

Cheers Andy!

Fingers crossed we all see some more snow this week ?️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

A bit confused about Thursday's snow potential for our region or lack of it.

There is a warning out for snow but the wording makes more of the fact any snow will be turning to rain rather than anything else.

Then you look at the projected temperatures for Thursday which in my area are showing a max of 1c with light snow according to the automated forecast?

The uppers will also be circa -4 to -7 which at face value are less marginal than today so I am not quite sure where this mild sector talk and 500m snow line is coming from as far as the Met Office are concerned?

Similar uppers are predicted for Friday too yet we are seeing a warm up to 5c predicted for Friday according to the Met Office?

I am sure my amateur brain must be missing something but I am nonetheless curious for an explanation?  Sea track maybe?

• Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

A bit confused about Thursday's snow potential for our region or lack of it.

There is a warning out for snow but the wording makes more of the fact any snow will be turning to rain rather than anything else.

Then you look at the projected temperatures for Thursday which in my area are showing a max of 1c with light snow according to the automated forecast?

The uppers will also be circa -4 to -7 which at face value are less marginal than today so I am not quite sure where this mild sector talk and 500m snow line is coming from as far as the Met Office are concerned?

Similar uppers are predicted for Friday too yet we are seeing a warm up to 5c predicted for Friday according to the Met Office?

I am sure my amateur brain must be missing something but I am nonetheless curious for an explanation?  Sea track maybe?

Big change in precip track on 18z GFS so we need to hope we don’t see any more shifts or we might end up dry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The latest fax charts show a week trough early Thusday morning so we might see a dusting from that,then we have a triple point over northern England Friday midnight  then an occluded front moving down into the midlands Friday dinner.

fax36s.thumb.gif.b6d0141c0b0dce542b617f8388b08bdd.giffax60s.thumb.gif.356f3ad7ba7b1fb1f2e16905d93bb26c.giffax72s.thumb.gif.2291e3a120fdf22a4ac17b835db560b0.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1