Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

Happy New year to you all.

Hope we all receive the feet of snow in the next couple of months.

Posted
59 minutes ago, joggs said:

Just been on mod thread and dared to question the 850s and the pub run being a joke and surprise.............2 posts removed.

To have posts approved on there you either have to talk up cold chances or agree with some big hitters. Not posting in there again. Mods are pathetic.

The issue is you can’t call 25% of a multi million pound per yr business like GFS without a little evidence 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Happy new year guys

here's to a snowy start to 2021

frosty here with light rain falling thanks to the mild sector above.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Happy new year everyone!

Here's to a good 2021 and let's hope it starts with a couple of snowy weeks for us all to enjoy ?️❄️☃️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Morning all and Happy New Year 
I could hear it pouring with rain in the small hous and woke to
ice everywhere .. yikes, be careful !

B.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

image.thumb.png.c943d16faa8e697c605aa5e753a238d8.png

Happy Saturday. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder & wind to create waves

Happy and healthy new year to all. Very dodgy out and about here first thing. Have a properly non flat concrete path in back garden and a bit of rain on cold surface made it like an ice rink. Out with the dog at 08:00 and gnats whisker from being on my a**e. Hope that the uppers and dew points get a few degrees colder and that pesky North Sea keeps cooling so we might get the right side of marginal sometime over the next couple of weeks. Also hope you all get to see some snow at some point.

• Like 1

Posted

From looking at the gfs we could have a window of opportunity 00z monday to 12z wednesday for showers to be all snow for most, obviously coastal areas and ground below 40m more marginal.

00z run had -8 uppers for a 48 hour period which is a real lengthy window to get good accumulations from showers packing in from the ENE.

06z unfortunately looks more like -7s which is right on the boundry of boderline...

The next few runs are crucial, ignore what the met office and bbc are saying about next week, most snowfalls here they miss and then when they do forecast snow it doesn't, says it all really!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

From looking at the gfs we could have a window of opportunity 00z monday to 12z wednesday for showers to be all snow for most, obviously coastal areas and ground below 40m more marginal.

00z run had -8 uppers for a 48 hour period which is a real lengthy window to get good accumulations from showers packing in from the ENE.

06z unfortunately looks more like -7s which is right on the boundry of boderline...

The next few runs are crucial, ignore what the met office and bbc are saying about next week, most snowfalls here they miss and then when they do forecast snow it doesn't, says it all really!

Yeah and ECM still showing a decent -7 to -9c range for 850s this morning. I’d say Monday night into Tuesday is the period when everyone should get a chance, if the North Sea snow shower machine plays along of course!

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

Yeah and ECM still showing a decent -7 to -9c range for 850s this morning. I’d say Monday night into Tuesday is the period when everyone should get a chance, if the North Sea snow shower machine plays along of course!

Yeah, should be some great radar watching coming up. 

Posted

Another thing to keep an eye on is how this low develops next weekend. I know it's FI but it does look really likely we are going to see something aloong this lines. What we can't have for the initial snow chances associated with this feature, is for it to draw winds from the NNW straight down the country would clearly be dry in our region. NNE and it would pile the showers in, you would have to assume they would be snow.

GFSOPEU06_240_2.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Shame it rained in the night and didn't snow. Could hear it on the window

Anyway, next week looking great now for our region..... Can we get another measurable snowfall in as many weeks ❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, winterof79 said:

image.thumb.png.c943d16faa8e697c605aa5e753a238d8.png

Happy Saturday. 

Harmonie similar.  Definitely possibilities for tomorrow 

E53F98C6-8A11-4A63-AB63-B726FD5B5331.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Wet snow has been falling across the North York Moors this morning but most places have now seen a thaw of any lying snow and ice away from high ground.

Tomorrow we see some colder air returning from the North after a "milder" blip in the weather today.

In the morning it looks like there will be some showers running down the east coast which may feed inland slightly affecting east of the A1.

Those inland with a bit of elevation could see something wintry from these showers. Eg; Moors, Wolds, Howardian Hills.

spacer.pngspacer.pngnmm_uk1-18-24-2.png?01-10nmm_uk1-16-24-2.png?01-10

Then later in the day around teatime we see a more organised band of showers push well inland that could possible affect the whole region.

Again the further inland and the higher you are the better chance of seeing snow.

nmm_uk1-1-35-2.png?01-11nmm_uk1-17-35-2.png?01-11nmm_uk1-18-35-2.png?01-11nmm_uk1-16-35-2.png?01-11

All very marginal again which has been the story of this cold spell so far for those living at reasonable elevations however at least it gives us something to keep us interested/hopeful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I dont think I've ever had such a treacherous drive home from work as this morning. It rained at -0.5C last night and froze on contact. It actually took two attempts to turn into my street as I went straight on the first time even at 5mph!

No weather warnings either. What a hopeless spell of weather this has been. Yesterday marked 10 years(!) since the last measurable lying snow in December here. If you'd said in 2010 to me I would be waiting over a decade to see a covering in December again I'd have been shocked!

• Like 6

Posted
13 hours ago, jam said:

The issue is you can’t call 25% of a multi million pound per yr business like GFS without a little evidence 

It is the most unreliable run of the model as frequently pointed out by a well known member.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Firefly2005 said:

Now on our 4th day of lying snow.... feels like winter. When we were choosing where to bring up the kids my only criteria was that it must be over 200m elevation... now we're at 240 and I wish rightmove could rank homes by altitude!

(Hills above Hebden Bridge)

My dream one day is to live above 300m but in a valley bottom.

You then get almost all the extreme types of weather, somewhere like Keld in the Yorkshire Dales would be ideal which is a deep frost pocket at 330m asl.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

My dream one day is to live above 300m but in a valley bottom.

You then get almost all the extreme types of weather, somewhere like Keld in the Yorkshire Dales would be ideal which is a deep frost pocket at 330m asl.

Wow Keld looks lovely. Castle and an abbey aswell! And with names like "Crackpot" and "Butthouse rigg" you can't go wrong...  long way to the nearest job for me though! Work in the NHS. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Fairly steady stream of showers today - all rain, even in the heaviest ones. Temp is currently 5c.

Posted

spacer.pngHarmonie 12 z precipitation

Chances for parts of North and East Yorkshire tomorrow morning if we get lucky ( marginal though).

Maybe the Wolds and Moors get a covering

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
3 hours ago, joggs said:

It is the most unreliable run of the model as frequently pointed out by a well known member.

In recent years the pub run has become a thing of the past. It used to come out with real crazy stuff not so much these days. The latest GFS does have some notable flaws the most obvious one is that it tends to vastly over do rainfall at short time periods. Hopefully corrected in the next version.

Local forecast has rain. sleet and snow for us tomorrow afternoon. I suspect it's too early and the precipitation will arrive later on.

Edited by The PIT
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

spacer.pngHarmonie 12 z precipitation

Chances for parts of North and East Yorkshire tomorrow morning if we get lucky ( marginal though).

Maybe the Wolds and Moors get a covering

spacer.pngArome 12 z in some agreement

• Thanks 1