Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Placing a Weather Station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers

Hi All,

I'm new to these forums and new to weather station technology.

I've been reading this thread about weather station recommendations and am looking to spend a similar amount.

I do however have a question about where to place a weather station. Photos I've seen are of weather stations attached to shed roofs.

I don't have a shed in my garden. I have a conservatory and a lawned area and a veggie patch.

So I'm wondering what people do when choosing a location for their weather station and what can be used if there's no shed.

I assume it sholud be in a position free from obstructions/shelter so it can monitor wind. rain, sun, temp etc.

Thanks

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Mine is on my fence at end of the garden. I would consider ease of access (changing batteries) and best place for it to be exposed to all wind directions. 

I think I read you are meant to have it at 2metres high to temp readings. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Mine is on my fence at end of the garden. I would consider ease of access (changing batteries) and best place for it to be exposed to all wind directions. 

I think I read you are meant to have it at 2metres high to temp readings. 

Thanks.  My garden backs onto a public park, I probably should've mentioned that in my  OP. Thinknig about it some more last night, I might need to place it on a pole somewhere central. I just need to find a pole that will work.

I'm sure some might have done this.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

here is a guide i used

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

BUT i had trouble meeting the height with the pole i had , as it was to small really

I then looked into using OLD scaffold poles, but the cost was very high for delivery and thought about a pole sold by screwfix 

In the end I compromised. Not ideal, BUT i'm happy with the results

1 - 1 (11).jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, etaf said:

here is a guide i used

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

BUT i had trouble meeting the height with the pole i had , as it was to small really

I then looked into using OLD scaffold poles, but the cost was very high for delivery and thought about a pole sold by screwfix 

In the end I compromised. Not ideal, BUT i'm happy with the results

That's great thanks. How do you find the temperature readings with it? Particularly in summer, does it give reliable readings even though it's in the sun? I know it has the protector on it but some I've seen are quite large, I assume to allow airflow and keep it a realistic reading.

I've only had mine just over 2 weeks so haven't been through a hot spell yet. I think being on the edge of a park seems to give lower readings that those nearby on housing estates.

Posted

My first advice on this is dont get hung up on placement too much especially with all in one sensors as you have to compromise on location for at least some of the integral components.

What do I mean you ask! - Well ideally you need the anemometer to be as high as possible and well away from any obstructions such as houses and trees to avoid swirl effect and venturi effect on wind. Rain gauge needs to be close to the ground and not shielded in any way. The Temperature/Humidity sensor needs to be approx 4-5 feet off the ground and ideally over a green surface and in direct sunshine as much as possible.

Now on top of that you must recognise that you will have maintenance to do, such as removing debris from the rain gauge quite often (you'd be surprised!) and changing the backup batteries at least every 2 years in the sensor.

So taking all that into account its very hard to find the optimum location. So don't stress too much if you chosen location is not perfect, just accept that the measurements that you take are relative to your back garden.

If you really get hooked then you can invest in a separate temperature/humidity sensor and place that in a good radiation screen such as a Davis 7714 or Barani Meteoshield, a separate rain sensor, a separate anemometer package etc and place them all in optimum locations in your garden etc. On top of that are all sorts of other sensors such as air quality or lightning etc.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mandrake said:

My first advice on this is dont get hung up on placement too much especially with all in one sensors as you have to compromise on location for at least some of the integral components.

What do I mean you ask! - Well ideally you need the anemometer to be as high as possible and well away from any obstructions such as houses and trees to avoid swirl effect and venturi effect on wind. Rain gauge needs to be close to the ground and not shielded in any way. The Temperature/Humidity sensor needs to be approx 4-5 feet off the ground and ideally over a green surface and in direct sunshine as much as possible.

Now on top of that you must recognise that you will have maintenance to do, such as removing debris from the rain gauge quite often (you'd be surprised!) and changing the backup batteries at least every 2 years in the sensor.

So taking all that into account its very hard to find the optimum location. So don't stress too much if you chosen location is not perfect, just accept that the measurements that you take are relative to your back garden.

If you really get hooked then you can invest in a separate temperature/humidity sensor and place that in a good radiation screen such as a Davis 7714 or Barani Meteoshield, a separate rain sensor, a separate anemometer package etc and place them all in optimum locations in your garden etc. On top of that are all sorts of other sensors such as air quality or lightning etc.

Thanks yes I had read that with an all in one it's not possible to get the best readings for everything. I read that the wind sensor should be 33ft high.

I took the decision that an accurate temperature reading was the one I was most interested in so that's 5ft above the ground in the corner of my veg patch. See photo.

Regarding debris, it had crossed my mind about leaves in Autumn as we have some big trees nearby and when the Ash starts to drop its leave they get everywhere.

I hadn't however considered the birds until etaf mentioned it in one of his other threads. Hence my question about a bird spike.

image.thumb.png.a1ad819b0c6ce038c211e2207d9a234b.png

Posted

That's great thanks. How do you find the temperature readings with it? 

I'm not looking to be 100% accurate to be fair, BUT it does seem to correlate well with the BBC Weather for this area.

SO on BBC weather its saying 10c and my temp 9.5c 

and over the last 6mths , seems to match those readings , indoor is accurate as we have a mercury thermometer next to the sensor and they match OK too.

BUT as i say , after various forums and advice from members like Mandrake I understood the sensor pack was always going to be a compromise, but for a Davies I was looking at £1500+ !!!!

We also back onto a PARK and to the north of that a large field, and 0.5Km from the sea , with just bungalows between us and the sea. 

• Like 1

Posted

I will say that the internal temperature is pretty good in the base all in one.

The next step up is the WS80 Ultrasonic anemometer which also measures the temp/humidity and solar. The radiation screening is better on this model

Following this is the the WH32 and WH32-EP. This is a standalone temp/humidity sensor for using externally but requires a radiation shield. The EP version has a wired probe and is SHT35 based which is high precision and requires a waterproof box and radiation shield. I have this latter EP model and the other two for comparison. 

In a normal day the most deviation I have seen is about 1.5C from my precision sensor and this on hot days when the sun is at a low angle and is striking the temp/humidity sensor housing on the all in ones. So all told they are pretty good and you dont really need to upgrade for temperature reasons unless you start getting really keen.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

I will say that the internal temperature is pretty good in the base all in one.

The next step up is the WS80 Ultrasonic anemometer which also measures the temp/humidity and solar. The radiation screening is better on this model

Following this is the the WH32 and WH32-EP. This is a standalone temp/humidity sensor for using externally but requires a radiation shield. The EP version has a wired probe and is SHT35 based which is high precision and requires a waterproof box and radiation shield. I have this latter EP model and the other two for comparison. 

In a normal day the most deviation I have seen is about 1.5C from my precision sensor and this on hot days when the sun is at a low angle and is striking the temp/humidity sensor housing on the all in ones. So all told they are pretty good and you dont really need to upgrade for temperature reasons unless you start getting really keen.

Ok that's interesting regarding the WS80 giving better radiation screening.

I've put my Watson W8686 PWS in a sunny spot, the closest obstructions are to the north, however I've noticed a couple of times and especially today as it's been sunny that my temperature reading has suddenly spiked. 

image.thumb.png.bebe10a122998d4eb4b40aa9274b14a3.png

I'm assuming the bit at the bottom is the radiation shield for the temperature sensor but it doesn't seem to be giving much protection.

It sits on top of a silver pole and I'm wondering if this could be an issue. Alternatively the sun is still low in the sky so that might be the cause.

image.png.96fb9ec29e0b18b1db1218b92db27f6f.png

Edited by Chelmer Park

Posted

cannot see the left scale - so not sure if spike is 0.5C or more 

see https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=19826 

you can change to different time scales - maybe last 30days 

Just looked st the ecowitt and is it set to F which would change more i guess

How long has it been in same location - just looking at month/weekly figures

14:30 does seem to be highish in some/ most days - perhaps the sun position or ground reflection, but you are on grass 

Edited by etaf

Posted
6 minutes ago, etaf said:

This is today:

image.thumb.png.6b28f3bbc84cac17d01c63063d00446d.png

This is from the first full day I set it up (24th Jan) to today. On this one, I don't now where the 13C reading earlier this afternoon has gone.

image.thumb.png.db5d9fe3e0a04c3ab5fbaa7ab9901dee.png

Edited by Chelmer Park

Posted

I dont think its low angle sun as the peak was 2pm, so its probably just a burst of sunlight from a cloudy period. These sensors are very reactive and far faster than any old school thermometer!

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, etaf said:

Just looked st the ecowitt and is it set to F which would change more i guess

How long has it been in same location - just looking at month/weekly figures

14:30 does seem to be highish in some/ most days - perhaps the sun position or ground reflection, but you are on grass 

That's a good spot. There do seem to be quite a few days that the top temp has been around 2:30pm.

It's been in the same location since  I set it up on the 23rd Jan.

To the south of the PWS is a path and to the south of that a lawn. See pic.

image.thumb.png.5ed1c8037854d7b46825ddafa6d01946.png

Edited by Chelmer Park

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mandrake said:

I dont think its low angle sun as the peak was 2pm, so its probably just a burst of sunlight from a cloudy period. These sensors are very reactive and far faster than any old school thermometer!

I suppose the air temperature warms up the air around the sensor when the sun is out. The old school thermometer by the back door which is in shade all the time this time of year was recording a touch over 11C at the time.

Posted

from your picture you show NORTH - but your station seems to be pointing North West - or is that just the angle ?

the instructions shows you how to point the unit NORTH

Posted
7 minutes ago, etaf said:

from your picture you show NORTH - but your station seems to be pointing North West - or is that just the angle ?

the instructions shows you how to point the unit NORTH

You're right but it's the arrows that I drew on the photo that are slightly wrong. They aren't exactly pointing North and South, more NNE and SSW but it was just to give a rough idea where south was.

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
20210401_193612.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The UK had its hottest day on record on 19th July with temperatures passing 40C in several places for the first time. But how are the official temperatures recorded, inside those mysterious white boxes?

Some info and photos from the official enclosure