Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

A couple of days ago I saw two large groups of oyster catchers down by the ponds at the Riverside nature park in Dundee. Don't think that I have seen so many in one place before. Last year quite a few nested nearby so maybe even more this year.

We used to have roughly one pair per field but now on a walk this this evening I counted 10 badger latrines just round the steading and farmhouse.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Well today we reached the giddy heights of 17.2deg.C at 14:19 and a maximum gust of merely 6mph in a very largely cloudless sky. It really feels like Spring has sprung. With garden entertaining about to come back in to fashion I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to peruse some patio furniture. I feel something Roman in appearance might be appropriate, with a portico and a length of Hadrian's wall. And a grape peeler.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
11 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Well today we reached the giddy heights of 17.2deg.C at 14:19 and a maximum gust of merely 6mph in a very largely cloudless sky. It really feels like Spring has sprung. With garden entertaining about to come back in to fashion I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to peruse some patio furniture. I feel something Roman in appearance might be appropriate, with a portico and a length of Hadrian's wall. And a grape peeler.

Do you do Frankie Howerd impressions? Up Pompeii!!! 

• Like 3

Posted
12 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

I'd get there quick, i was in our local B&Q last night and it was looking a bit bare in places that had been stocked to the brim 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I had all my gardening and lounging supplies in!

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Do you do Frankie Howerd impressions? Up Pompeii!!! 

That's exactly what I had in mind.

pompeii.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Oh well, back to reality.

Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ all day, light winds and a max of 10.1c.

Forecast is for sunshine tomorrow, so today will hopefully have been a one day aberration.

• Like 4

Posted

Four in a row, four in a row.

Hello!

Hello!

Four in a row, four in a row. (Sunny, warm days that is. Thought I'd bring a bit of chav into the proceedings.)

Temperature 14.8deg.C down from a maximum of 16.5deg.C at 14:24 and up from a minimum of 0.3deg.C at 06:26, humidity is 66%, wind 0 to 3mph generally southerly, pressure is 1034.5hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24hours and cloud cover has varied from 1/8 to 3/8 throughout the day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
26 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Four in a row, four in a row.

Hello!

Hello!

Four in a row, four in a row. (Sunny, warm days that is. Thought I'd bring a bit of chav into the proceedings.)

Temperature 14.8deg.C down from a maximum of 16.5deg.C at 14:24 and up from a minimum of 0.3deg.C at 06:26, humidity is 66%, wind 0 to 3mph generally southerly, pressure is 1034.5hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24hours and cloud cover has varied from 1/8 to 3/8 throughout the day.

It’s looking very likely that the atmosphere is going to crash in spectacular fashion before we reach 10 in a row

another lovely  day here although only managed 16c today down from the scorching 19c yesterday 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Cooler and overcast today.Had one of those down days in farming .Suspicious that our four year  old bull was showing signs of swelling in brisket area and a bit lethargic had vet out and he diagnosed heart failure. He has produced some very nice calves and was  a very easy going character. Vet said it was just real bad luck

Normally keep them to eight or nine years old by which time arthritis is a problem. He is insured so financially we"ll be OK but its always hard to take the loss of a young animal.Always had bulls individually  insured as they seem  to have  lots of ways to incapacitate themselves.

And so begins a week of paper work

Sorry to hear that, NL... I was only today trying to make conversation with the cows and goats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Started off sunny this morning then clouded over for a time. Sun came back out in the later afternoon and it felt pleasantly warm  though actually 6C cooler than yesterday. Max of 12.0C and min of 3.7C today.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Dull and cool here today, real disappointment. Crows making a hell of a racket all day in That Tree. Wish they'd shut up.

• Like 5

Posted

Considering that the max was 10.1c today, impressive that the temperature outside is still 8.0c.

Pity it's 100% cloud cover as there is potential for a Aurora storm later this evening.

One of the kids went out to the garage to raid the food store there, came in all fearty.

All because this was guarding the door!

image.thumb.png.0d577ecf36c584d55d911620eab385c6.png

Another good sign that spring is well and truly here.  Even more impressive is that we are 100's of metres from any water, so this fellow had a fair old trek.

• Like 7

Posted

More wispy cloud and breeze around today but sun's still out. What a crackerjack of a week it's been. More like it hopefully!

• Like 4

Posted

Can't say I'd have much interest in this now!

IMG_20210320_195752.thumb.jpg.0c6a7cbcb396d96efe28a592b6ce73f3.jpg

Last few days have been magic and after a fantastic winter locally I'd like a good warm run now! A repeat of last spring, while unlikely, would be brilliant!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
12 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Can't say I'd have much interest in this now!

IMG_20210320_195752.thumb.jpg.0c6a7cbcb396d96efe28a592b6ce73f3.jpg

Last few days have been magic and after a fantastic winter locally I'd like a good warm run now! A repeat of last spring, while unlikely, would be brilliant!

A repeat of last spring but without the sodding lockdown would be welcome!!

Can we do it? I've not been to the local co-op for 5 weeks but from what I'm hearing, social distancing appears to be half forgotten already. You just think, people are like lobotomised sheep, no memories and no thoughts apart from the next tuft of grass. Groovy, we're all getting vaccinated! No, there's millions of unvaccinated youngsters just waiting to have covid beach parties again. 

• Like 7

Posted
23 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Cooler and overcast today.Had one of those down days in farming .Suspicious that our four year  old bull was showing signs of swelling in brisket area and a bit lethargic had vet out and he diagnosed heart failure. He has produced some very nice calves and was  a very easy going character. Vet said it was just real bad luck

Normally keep them to eight or nine years old by which time arthritis is a problem. He is insured so financially we"ll be OK but its always hard to take the loss of a young animal.Always had bulls individually  insured as they seem  to have  lots of ways to incapacitate themselves.

And so begins a week of paper work

Not so good, do you have home bred bulls to replace him or will it be a trip to the next bull sales?

Lovely morning on Deeside before cloud rolled in early afternoon. Got all the washing out and dried however before it started drizzling just after 5.

High of 17.5c, up from overnight low of 0.4c and currently 8.2c. The drizzle didn’t amount to anything according to all the nearby stations including my own.

• Like 8

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

Not so good, do you have home bred bulls to replace him or will it be a trip to the next bull sales?

Lovely morning on Deeside before cloud rolled in early afternoon. Got all the washing out and dried however before it started drizzling just after 5.

High of 17.5c, up from overnight low of 0.4c and currently 8.2c. The drizzle didn’t amount to anything according to all the nearby stations including my own.

Bought him straight from breeder so gave him a quick phone today to say I would be looking for another one once we get organised. Asked vet if he had any objections he had none as herd very high health status .  A bit breezy dry and overcast  today so helped Mrs Northernlights with a bit of floor washing while young Mr Northernlights did the cattle.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6