Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Songs that remind you of summer turning into autumn?

Sunny76

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Heard this one earlier today, and this always reminds me of summer coming to an end. Has a late summer feel to it.

Late summer 1982.

A great song, too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Dancing Queen by ABBA entered the charts at the end of the great summer of 1976 and eventually reached No. 1 as the transition to very wet and much cooler weather began. Though years before I was born, this song reminds me of what that must have felt like. 

Edited by LetItSnow!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Released in September 1978, so early autumn.

Many years before I was born, but to me this song has always had an end of summer/beginning of autumn vibe to it.

• Like 1

Posted

Bruce Hornsby and the Range "That's just the way it is". Released late August 1986. Has a slight melancholic air to it which is indicative of the time of year. Often played on radio today.. Sense of oh well what could have been as summer ebbs away again for another year. 

Posted
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Bruce Hornsby and the Range "That's just the way it is". Released late August 1986. Has a slight melancholic air to it which is indicative of the time of year. Often played on radio today.. Sense of oh well what could have been as summer ebbs away again for another year. 

Yeah, I remember that one. That August was similar to 2021, in terms of miserable cloudy days. 

Posted
15 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I remember that one. That August was similar to 2021, in terms of miserable cloudy days. 

Hope the last third of the year doesn't mirror 1986. A rather mild often wet period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Quite a few, mostly from the late 70s to the early 2000s (when I would have heard them on the radio at this time of year) - too many to list here in fact. But some which particularly spring to mind:

One struck me particularly as having a 'fine day in late summer, early autumn' air is Paul Weller's 'Wild Wood'. Has a particular vibe suited to this time of year.

It was actually released at this time of year in 1993, during a fine interlude - which might help the association I have in my mind between the song and fine days this time of year - but it might also be the mood of the song itself.

'Ride on Time' (Black Box) from 1989.

'The Race' (Yello) from 1988.

'Rush Hour' (Jane Wiedlin) also from 1988.

'Starlight' by Supermen Lovers from 2001.

The earliest such song would probably be 'Black Betty' by Ram Jam. When I first heard it I thought it was 'Black Berry', probably because we were picking blackberries around the time of its release. Bear in mind I was not at all old at the time..

Also another vote for 'Angel Eyes', which always reminds me of misty mornings which became fine sunny days in 1979 - precisely what the weather did that year, a poor summer being followed by a fine September.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Quite a few, mostly from the late 70s to the early 2000s (when I would have heard them on the radio at this time of year) - too many to list here in fact. But some which particularly spring to mind:

One struck me particularly as having a 'fine day in late summer, early autumn' air is Paul Weller's 'Wild Wood'. Has a particular vibe suited to this time of year.

It was actually released at this time of year in 1993, during a fine interlude - which might help the association I have in my mind between the song and fine days this time of year - but it might also be the mood of the song itself.

The earliest such song would probably be 'Black Betty' by Ram Jam. When I first heard it I thought it was 'Black Berry', probably because we were picking blackberries around the time of its release. Bear in mind I was not at all old at the time..

Also another vote for 'Angel Eyes', which always reminds me of misty mornings which became fine sunny days in 1979 - precisely what the weather did that year, a poor summer being followed by a fine September.

There was a bit of fine weather late August 1993.. rare as much of the summer and autumn was wet. 

Rush Hour I remember

Charly by the Prodigy reminds me of late August/early September in 1991. Another one 'The Drugs don't work' by the Verve from 1997 has a much more melancholic tone to it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

This actually came out earlier in 2017, but it was later in the year that I first heard this album:

Very late summer/start of autumn feeling to it I think.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

This actually came out earlier in 2017, but it was later in the year that I first heard this album:

Very late summer/start of autumn feeling to it I think.

The whole of Slowdive's Souvlaki album just makes me think of late autumn/early winter, they sound very 'seasonally'.

As for the first warm, mellow evening in late spring/early summer, you can't beat this:

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
14 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Superman Lovers is the one I remember from September 2001.

I quite like that song. Lots of disco house from those early 2000s years, especially 2000-03. Also Digital Love by Daft Punk? Think that was around at the same time.

Hard to believe this is now 20 years ago. We are as far from the early 2000s now, as we were from 1980 back in 2000. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Good thread.

Henley obviously - listen to the lyrics.

Forever Autumn - memories of HMS Sultan at Gosport way back in '78

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow, atlantic storms, hot sun and thunderstorms

Mambo No 5 reminds me of this transition.  Must have been September 98 or 99 a group of us from Uni met up at a mates house in Bristol for a weekend of revelry and it was a glorious weekend, warn sunny and still, bit too still for the kite festival at Clifton Park they had to drag the big kites around the arena by landrover to get them airborne.  Mambo No5 was played a lot in the clubs we went to, weather started to turn properly autumnal after that.  A great weekend and happy times.  Daft song but always raises a smile!   

Posted
1 hour ago, Moomin71 said:

Mambo No 5 reminds me of this transition.  Must have been September 98 or 99 a group of us from Uni met up at a mates house in Bristol for a weekend of revelry and it was a glorious weekend, warn sunny and still, bit too still for the kite festival at Clifton Park they had to drag the big kites around the arena by landrover to get them airborne.  Mambo No5 was played a lot in the clubs we went to, weather started to turn properly autumnal after that.  A great weekend and happy times.  Daft song but always raises a smile!   

Yes, it was August 99. I remember them playing it on the radio a lot then, just before I flew off to Toronto. The song was also big in Canada at the same time. But, while over in Toronto, they played that Santana song very often, especially during September and October of 1999. Smooth may have came out slightly later in the UK though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Released in August 1983.

At the time of recording, little did the band know that year coincidentally did turn out to have a long hot summer.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A very poignant Song, for those who have lost loved ones, at this time of the Year.

A lovely ballad taken from Paolo Nutini's excellent debut album, These Streets.

Regards,

Tom. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow, atlantic storms, hot sun and thunderstorms
On 05/09/2021 at 10:15, TomSE12 said:

A very poignant Song, for those who have lost loved ones, at this time of the Year.

A lovely ballad taken from Paolo Nutini's excellent debut album, These Streets.

Regards,

Tom. 

This is a beautiful song, Eva Cassidy's version is quite astonishing.

• Like 1

Posted

Released in September 1964.

Long before my time, but give me music from that era over the music of today anytime.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91