Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New here - Onset Hobo WX stn question

RonT

Posted

Hi, I'm Ron from Yellowknife, NWT, Canada.

A few years back I was sent a salvaged Onset/Hobo H21-00 weather logging station that had disassembled and left for scrap.  Late this summer I re-assembled it, downloaded and installed the Onset "Boxcar" software for it and was interested in using the live data out to feed an APRS station.  Failing that, I was wondering whether the sensors could be used with another (RPi based perhaps) weather station.  Is there anyone here familiar with the Onset Hobo weather equipment?

Posted
On 10/10/2021 at 03:22, RonT said:

Hi, I'm Ron from Yellowknife, NWT, Canada.

A few years back I was sent a salvaged Onset/Hobo H21-00 weather logging station that had disassembled and left for scrap.  Late this summer I re-assembled it, downloaded and installed the Onset "Boxcar" software for it and was interested in using the live data out to feed an APRS station.  Failing that, I was wondering whether the sensors could be used with another (RPi based perhaps) weather station.  Is there anyone here familiar with the Onset Hobo weather equipment?

Sorry no one has answered you Ron, it is unusual for this to happen. Perhaps me posting may trigger help. Sorry I cannot give you any guidance, no knowledge at all of your problem.

Good luck though.

Posted

No problem John, it is not common (for amateur users) weather monitoring equipment..  I think that it may take a little reverse engineering on my part to see what data I can use from it, and how to use the sensor data.

In the meantime I've also been considering using a R Pi for data collection and APRS.  And before the ground freezes up (maybe only days away) I have already driven a pipe into the ground (hopefully below the permafrost level) and would like to record temperatures of the permafrost here.

Lots of winter projects

Posted

permafrost-wow, until I noted your town, here we are lucky if we get a frost to even freeze the soil albeit briefly!

Posted

The loss of permafrost is very serious here, apart from infrastructure damage, as it melts it may be the largest emitter of methane into the atmosphere.  If the UK Raspberry Pi weather stations for schools project caught on here I would like to see it include soil temperature monitoring of permafrost.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
19 hours ago, RonT said:

The loss of permafrost is very serious here, apart from infrastructure damage, as it melts it may be the largest emitter of methane into the atmosphere.  If the UK Raspberry Pi weather stations for schools project caught on here I would like to see it include soil temperature monitoring of permafrost.

Wow! Yellowknife! now they are winters! not like our awful 'winters'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I hope you can describe some of the storms you get this coming winter as we can only dream of white outs here,and of course those cold temperature readings. 

Posted

I'm afraid that I'm not very good at describing white-outs, I think that we're in a semi-arid zone and normally we do not have a lot of precipitation.  In recent years precipitation has been a little unpredictable on the short term.  We do accumulate maybe a metre or two so of snow in the bush over the winter but the rate of fall and wind conditions for a white-out would be a rare event.  Temperatures, personal observation is that we should expect ten days a winter with -40 or colder.  The winter of 2013-14 we had a stretch of colder than -40 temperatures long enough to gel the propane in lines from the cylinders (aka pigs) and we lost heat and more.  That winter the electricity failed for a few hours and many places, including commercial buildings had plumbing freeze and burst.

We do have some high wind days.  And of course aurora, in late summer noctilucent clouds (doesn't get dark enough to see stars before mid-August), and more than a few winter days with very heavy frost (soft rime icing).  There are a lot of things you may see here during our winter that may surprise you, including in the coldest weather ravens with white frost on their heads from the moisture in their breath condensing and freezing onto the feathers on their heads.

We're also known for our winter ice roads, and air strips.

If I can post pictures to this site I may do that from time to time.

• Like 2