Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Sensational, Scaremongering Headlines.......

ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love Weather, Hate the Spin and Lies to do with our Planets Climate.

Guardian Online, "Prepare for 40C days in Britain ---- Everything at stake if Cop26 fails, ?  Must admit  I would be really worried about that succeeding  judging by the legacy of all other failed Climate change summits on lowering C02  ..........

images.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

We are at the point where things really need to get a move on. I don't think 40C here is scaremongering given Cambridge got to 39C in 2019 on what was a 3 day heatwave. In fact I think Heathrow would have got it if it hadn't clouded over in the afternoon.

Of course the world won't end suddenly if the UK hits 40C but it's an example where with climate change we are loading the dice towards more dangerous weather events and the longer we leave it the greater the risk we are taking. So yes there is a lot at stake if we don't plan going forward. 

But yes, I don't think COP26 will change anything.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
    • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Sensationalism and scaremongering is probably what bothers me most personally. It’s always a terrifying headline, coupled with a picture of the world burning,  followed by a torrent of “could happens” and “maybes”. There’s never any certainties to what will happen if we breach the 1.5 threshold. 
    If things are as bad as they’re saying then perhaps it is the best way to get the point across but the cynic in me always scoffs at such headlines.

Approaching the subject with friends and colleagues, many pass it off with a statement like “they’ve been saying that for as long as I can remember “ or “they’re just trying to squeeze more carbon taxes out of us”. It would seem credibility has been lost with the everyday Joe. 

I wonder if such headlines are a regular occurrence in places like India, Russia or China?

449BB6C4-FD8C-4097-97A4-7E76160106F4.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
    6 hours ago, Mixer 85 said:

Sensationalism and scaremongering is probably what bothers me most personally. It’s always a terrifying headline, coupled with a picture of the world burning,  followed by a torrent of “could happens” and “maybes”. There’s never any certainties to what will happen if we breach the 1.5 threshold. 
    If things are as bad as they’re saying then perhaps it is the best way to get the point across but the cynic in me always scoffs at such headlines.

Approaching the subject with friends and colleagues, many pass it off with a statement like “they’ve been saying that for as long as I can remember “ or “they’re just trying to squeeze more carbon taxes out of us”. It would seem credibility has been lost with the everyday Joe. 

I wonder if such headlines are a regular occurrence in places like India, Russia or China?

449BB6C4-FD8C-4097-97A4-7E76160106F4.jpeg

Unfortunately if 'the credibility has been lost with the everyday Joe' it is down in no small measure to the massive anti global warming/anti science campaign waged over many years by the vested interests of the fossil fuel industry. Not least by senior members of the UK government past and present. What the Guardian says is essentially correct but it is prone, on occassion, to a spot of hyperbole. probaly in an attempt to limit the damage already done by the lies.

• Like 4

Posted

The Guardian couldn't care less about Climate Change. Its just to have a go at the Johnson government. You only have to read the articles they write to see that it's political not scientific. At least with the Express you know they are bonkers before you start reading it. The Guardian yesterday (can't be bothered to dig it out) were really preparing for a climate catastrophe in Cumbria with the 2/3 inches of rain!!  Even mentioned death a few times.No catastrophe thankfully.

Poster earlier mentioned 40c. Many many scientists have said it will probably never happen in UK. May happen at Heathrow mind if they move the monitoring station even closer to the asphalt covered southern runway.

• Like 2

Posted
    13 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Guardian Online, "Prepare for 40C days in Britain ---- Everything at stake if Cop26 fails, ?  Must admit  I would be really worried about that succeeding  judging by the legacy of all other failed Climate change summits on lowering C02  ..........

images.png

Arguably we lost our last chance when "climategate" scuppered the COP in 2009.  Twelve years lost after that, and still the deniers and delayers are convincing people that climate change is a hoax.  Meanwhile those guilty were never uncovered and charged (probably protected by their tame politicians), which might have helped discredit the powers behind the conspiracy.  Injustice always makes me mad: the genuine scientists suffered and the fossil fuel industry profited.

• Like 2

Posted
    21 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

The Guardian couldn't care less about Climate Change. Its just to have a go at the Johnson government. You only have to read the articles they write to see that it's political not scientific. At least with the Express you know they are bonkers before you start reading it. The Guardian yesterday (can't be bothered to dig it out) were really preparing for a climate catastrophe in Cumbria with the 2/3 inches of rain!!  Even mentioned death a few times.No catastrophe thankfully.

Poster earlier mentioned 40c. Many many scientists have said it will probably never happen in UK. May happen at Heathrow mind if they move the monitoring station even closer to the asphalt covered southern runway.

Well if you leave political out of the equation quite a few who post in here would be mute

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'd have hoped that, following the Climategate scam, Climate Change Deniers would have shut up shop, gone back under whatever rock they call home and given the world a rest. Or, failing that, spent the last 12 years learning something useful about the terrestrial climate. 

But, no. Here we are, more than a decade farther down the line, and here we go again: And what have Deniers learned? Nothing. It's all about feelings!

So, please, guys, go away and learn something? Before it's too late?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
    On 29/10/2021 at 08:24, Wimbledon88 said:

2/3 inches you say???

skynews-car-cumbria-flood-uk_5562431.jpg
    NEWS.SKY.COM

Nine flood warnings in Cumbria - meaning immediate action is required - are in force as the Fire Service warns people not to drive on submerged roads.

Might need to add a one in front of your comment for the last day or so. Not sure why you are downplaying the rainfall amounts that can come from orographic events that are fairly common in Cumbria and Western parts of Scotland for example.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
    • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
    2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Really?? 40C is easily achievable in the UK and I can't think of many scientists who have said it can't be achieved, indeed the weather models in early August 2018 had a major plume which if came off would have easily given temps of over 40C over a sizeable area. That is one of several instances in which we have had a close call, it'll be a matter of time before the right synoptics come along.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Good morning @knocker I have to disagree regarding the anti global warming/science campaigns. These have been largely stamped out over recent years and one has to look quite hard to find a sceptical stance. The average Joe’s  probably not interested  enough to thrall the internet for climate related information.

I do believe a large part is general miss trust of government and positions of authority. Just last night there was a segment on a very popular RTE programme about peat. It featured a bog in the midlands where the owners have stocked up 70,000 tonnes of peat, imported from Latvia. This is peat that’ll be used only for compost &  horticulture. The owner of the company stated that a license is required to extract peat from the bogs and it’s extremely expensive and can take years for approval, importing was the only option to save his business. It’s our very own Green Party who are over the licensing legislation and they’ve had years to streamline the process, yet they’ve done nothing and now we’re importing peat from Latvia to grow vegetables. It’s this hypocrisy that annoys the general public and discredits the science. O

I’ve received the following link on WhatsApp from several friends….

• Like 2

Posted
    3 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

2/3 inches you say???

skynews-car-cumbria-flood-uk_5562431.jpg
    NEWS.SKY.COM

Nine flood warnings in Cumbria - meaning immediate action is required - are in force as the Fire Service warns people not to drive on submerged roads.

Might need to add a one in front of your comment for the last day or so. Not sure why you are downplaying the rainfall amounts that can come from orographic events that are fairly common in Cumbria and Western parts of Scotland for example.

Nah mate. Don't think I need to add anything. Sky News.

Screenshot_20211029_140729.jpg

Screenshot_20211029_140652.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
    2 hours ago, Mixer 85 said:

Good morning @knocker I have to disagree regarding the anti global warming/science campaigns. These have been largely stamped out over recent years and one has to look quite hard to find a sceptical stance. The average Joe’s  probably not interested  enough to thrall the internet for climate related information.

I do believe a large part is general miss trust of government and positions of authority. Just last night there was a segment on a very popular RTE programme about peat. It featured a bog in the midlands where the owners have stocked up 70,000 tonnes of peat, imported from Latvia. This is peat that’ll be used only for compost &  horticulture. The owner of the company stated that a license is required to extract peat from the bogs and it’s extremely expensive and can take years for approval, importing was the only option to save his business. It’s our very own Green Party who are over the licensing legislation and they’ve had years to streamline the process, yet they’ve done nothing and now we’re importing peat from Latvia to grow vegetables. It’s this hypocrisy that annoys the general public and discredits the science. O

I’ve received the following link on WhatsApp from several friends….

Yes, i believe from Irish mates that your Green Party are complete crazies. They ll have you guys living in caves and cycling everywhere soon. Thank god they never got a foot hold over here.

• Like 3

Posted
    On 29/10/2021 at 14:12, Wimbledon88 said:

I think you need to do a little bit more research, you're way off of the mark.

• Like 2

Posted
    33 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I think you need to do a little bit more research, you're way off of the mark.

Where's your research then? I've shown you mine. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
    On 29/10/2021 at 14:12, Wimbledon88 said:

Screenshot_20211029_140729.jpg

Screenshot_20211029_140652.jpg

I guess we could just use the metoffice, unless that is also a useless source of information….

Edited by Captain Shortwave
    • Like 1

Posted

And that's my point. Seathwaite, never heard of Honister Pass, is the wettest place in England. Bit like saying oh we're buried in snow drifts if there's 6 inches of snow on Ben Nevis. Sensationalist nonsense and folk just keep on feeding the alligator. Keyboard environment warriors.

• Like 3

Posted
    On 29/10/2021 at 15:24, Wimbledon88 said:

Where's your research then? I've shown you mine. 

Well, firstly, you do realise that there aren't official MO observation sites in all areas where the flooding occurred, right?

Secondly, those charts you posted were for a single 24 hours, a lot more rain fell before that. Many independent stations have recorded in excess of 7" of rain in the past 3 days. Think about orographic rainfall where no stations are situated.. I'm not surprised that over a foot of rain has fallen in some parts. Bridges don't get washed away after 2 or 3" of rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i agree on sensationalizing and click bait headlines..it just undermines the whole message and turns people off rapidly..the climate report for N.America came out last week and there were the same sensationalists headlines..New England could warm by 3c by 2050 with pictures of big hot glowing sun and shimmering heat and flooded cities..the mid west is going to dry out and crop yields will fall by 25% with pictures of desperate farmers and dust bowl conditions and to top it all it could lead to which was in bold and big big writing a potential 200-500 deaths per annum ..at that point i turned it off.

i would love some good honest reporting instead of trying to whip up unnecessary fear and hysteria 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    10 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

And that's my point. Seathwaite, never heard of Honister Pass, is the wettest place in England. Bit like saying oh we're buried in snow drifts if there's 6 inches of snow on Ben Nevis. Sensationalist nonsense and folk just keep on feeding the alligator. Keyboard environment warriors.

And, IMO, you lot are nothing but a bunch of science-illiterate keyboard warriors who're muddying the waters with reams of anti-science hogwash. Not that you'll ever apprehend that reality!

• Like 1

Posted
    12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Well, firstly, you do realise that there aren't official MO observation sites in all areas where the flooding occurred, right?

Secondly, those charts you posted were for a single 24 hours, a lot more rain fell before that. Many independent stations have recorded in excess of 7" of rain in the past 3 days. Think about orographic rainfall where no stations are situated.. I'm not surprised that over a foot of rain has fallen in some parts. Bridges don't get washed away after 2 or 3" of rainfall.

Bridges like these probably do as they were old footbridges, not the scaremongering images the media conjure up of stone bridges and cars being washed away. And yes I know what orographic rainfall is. The bbc haven't dispatched David 'Polar Bear' Shuckman to the scene so it mustn't be too bad. As CM says above dont become click bait slaves. 

Screenshot_20211029_154943.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
    On 29/10/2021 at 15:56, Wimbledon88 said:

dont become click bait slaves. 

That is an ironic line.. 

I don't need to read any media outlets to find out how much rainfall has fallen in an area.

It's funny that those who don't follow common sense start calling others names.

• Like 1

Posted

We have shockingly alarmist headlines in Canada...our local newspaper from a few years back. Had to keep a picture of it .... front page news...what hooligans we have chugging beer and feeding deer (caused quite the stir in town I tell you lol) 

D769B8C1-08B1-4194-A65F-D6483450DB31.thumb.jpeg.61373792aaef0fe47be2832c38f0e751.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm.

I know this isn't climate change but I hat headlines like these, it's just money grabbing hence my reply Screenshot_20211030_174721.thumb.jpg.bf91cc9349b54824a93e732ba7eb9ffb.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love Weather, Hate the Spin and Lies to do with our Planets Climate.

The Scaremongering is just to start from the media....

• Like 1