Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COP26 (UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties) Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted

With talks set to start tomorrow for two weeks, most countries will not able to meet their 2030 pledges.

It is most likely that these talks will be intense and new policies hopefully drawn up though China and Russia will be only he attending by video link.

generic-social.jpg
CLIMATEACTIONTRACKER.ORG

Posted

The COP26 conference has now opened
More than 100 world leaders and thousands of delegates will visit Glasgow for the UN climate summit, which lasts until Friday 12 November.

Posted

G20 leaders have agreed on climate neutrality "by or around mid-century".

The communique calls for "meaningful and effective" action to limit global warming at 1.5C, the Reuters news agency is reporting.

But it contained few concrete actions and makes no reference to a specific 2050 date to achieve net zero carbon emissions that scientists say is vital to stave off disastrous climate change.

It says current national plans on how to curb emissions will have to be strengthened "if necessary" and includes a pledge to halt financing of overseas coal-fired power generation by the end of this year. 

The statement says: "We recognise that the impacts of climate change at 1.5C are much lower than at 2C. Keeping 1.5C within reach will require meaningful and effective actions and commitment by all countries."

Posted

Very sceptical about any progress on this.Just  put the following  into a thread on the Farming Forum blaming cattle for global   warming.

"In my local area there are about 60% less cattle on farms than there were in the sixties.When there are 60% less aircraft in the sky/vehicles on the road than in the sixties then I will listen to what they say about cattle .Cattle are not the problem in fact they will probably help to keep cereals grown without artificial fertiliser on red and white clover  (nitrogen fixing from atmosphere) grazing swards. Ploughed every 4 years.   Artificial  nitrogen has recently tripled in price due to cost of all energy spiking .              My daughter who has a Phd in Astrophysics agrees with me"

Posted

I appreciate the attempts to keep temperatures at 1.5c but to be honest I think that door is almost closed on that ambition. Talk of getting things done by mid century will see blast past 1.5c long before that point. Heck a strong El nino will probably push us towards that level at least as a yearly average once we have our next one.

Its been nearing 6 years since our last moderate+ El nino, so its going to be interesting to see what happens when we get our next one eventually what the global temperatures will look like.

Posted

US President Joe Biden says America and the European Union (EU) have agreed to do a carbon-based arrangement on steel and aluminium.

In a statement at the G20 summit in Rome, he said the US and EU have "reached a major breakthrough that will address the existential threat of climate change" while also protecting American jobs and American industry.

He says it will usher in a "new era of transatlantic cooperation", which removes tariffs on EU and a range of American products.

Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said they had agreed to suspend the tariffs on steel and aluminium and to "start work on a new, global, sustainable steel arrangement".

She says "we must address the carbon intensity of the industry" and address problems of over-capacity.

"It will be a major step forward in achieving carbon neutrality," she adds.

"This is a major step forward in our renewed relationship."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Apart from the benefit of local industry, this summit just like the rest will be a waste of time and Money.  All the energy involved planes ,trains and cars emitting more C02 into the atmosphere, just contrary to what the summit is all about....Its a BIG party for those involved and the Tax payer will be paying for it...

fern-m-lomibao-a-wRi68p26o-unsplash.jpg.jpeg

images-1.png

• Like 4

Posted

Cop 26 will add more Co2 to the air then it reduces it by.

400 flights into Glasgow bring with them a wealth of world leaders and of course a multitude of celebrities creating 1300 tons of Co2.

China not attending, the worlds biggest producer of Co2, double that of its nearest rival the US.

A total and utter farce only worth attending for lavish meals and exclusive goodie bags.

My worry is our world in in the hands of these self serving idiots! 

• Like 7

Posted
12 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

G20 leaders have agreed to end financing for new overseas coal plants during their two-day meeting in Rome by the end of this year.

This is what I find ridiculous is that they have this meeting in Rome and now the whole lot will now go to Glasgow

Why didn't they have both conferences in one location?

• Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

US President Joe Biden says America and the European Union (EU) have agreed to do a carbon-based arrangement on steel and aluminium.

In a statement at the G20 summit in Rome, he said the US and EU have "reached a major breakthrough that will address the existential threat of climate change" while also protecting American jobs and American industry.

He says it will usher in a "new era of transatlantic cooperation", which removes tariffs on EU and a range of American products.

Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said they had agreed to suspend the tariffs on steel and aluminium and to "start work on a new, global, sustainable steel arrangement".

She says "we must address the carbon intensity of the industry" and address problems of over-capacity.

"It will be a major step forward in achieving carbon neutrality," she adds.

"This is a major step forward in our renewed relationship."

Rather amusingly, this doesn't include the UK, which will continue to be subject to the same tariffs since we are no longer in the EU.  Perhaps Johnson can spin this as part of a green policy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, Inga Horwood said:

Rather amusingly, this doesn't include the UK, which will continue to be subject to the same tariffs since we are no longer in the EU.  Perhaps Johnson can spin this as part of a green policy.

I wonder how much of this is down to Boris's damascene conversion to 'greenness' and how much is a cover for Blighty's penchant for self-harming? I mean, let's face it, it does seem a tad convenient?

That aside, I'm struggling to see how POTUS's eighty-four car motorcade helped alleviate the climate crisis!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It does seem ridiculous that thousands are descending from all over the world for this conference, for a load of waffle with no meaningful agreement.

The planet is screwed.

• Like 1

Posted
On 01/11/2021 at 08:48, Nick L said:

It does seem ridiculous that thousands are descending from all over the world for this conference, for a load of waffle with no meaningful agreement.

The planet is screwed.

I think saying it's waffle is a bit much.

Obviously with China and Russia not attending in person is a huge blow to this year conference.

One thing is for certain, world leaders must take drastic action now before it's too late.

Posted

Are China, Russia, South Africa attending? Along with the USA they are main users of coal to fire up their industry. Even Germany, as an economy are high users.

Until the world gets these countries to massively change direction, any tinkering the UK does 'at home' is just gesture stuff, quite frankly.

And how HMG expects 'ordinary' peeps to convert water and heating systems to those useless hyrdo pumps is beyond me. They dont even heat houses properly and leave heated water dangerously under-heated, which can cause legionnaires. Back to that particular drawing board.

• Like 1

Posted
On 01/11/2021 at 08:57, Bristle boy said:

Are China, Russia, South Africa attending? Along with the USA they are main users of coal to fire up their industry. Even Germany, as an economy are high users.

Until the world gets these countries to massively change direction, any tinkering the UK does 'at home' is just gesture stuff, quite frankly.

And how HMG expects 'ordinary' peeps to convert water and heating systems to those useless hyrdo pumps is beyond me. They dont even heat houses properly and leave heated water dangerously under-heated, which can cause legionnaires. Back to that particular drawing board.

I think China is not attending but Russia President Putin is by video?

No idea on South Africa.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Russia and China have sent senior delegates, whether thats just for show remains to be seen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Er.....why are CNN based at Edinburgh for COP26?

I'm sure they'll revel in telling us to stop flying too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Yes, the UK is doing OK-ish in terms of low-carbon electricity generation with wind-power dominating.

WWW.MYGRIDGB.CO.UK

Disappointing to see a slight rise in 2021, but the 2030 target seems achievable. I suppose you can only look after your own back garden. As for everyone else...

Like others have said, I'm not sure how huge international showpiece events with useless non-binding agreements help. Good photo-ops for the politicians though.

Edited by Yarmy

Posted

UK is to provide £3bn over five years to support developing countries

In a move aimed at setting the tone for COP26, the government has said it will be further supporting the rollout of sustainable infrastructure and new green technology in countries that cannot afford to make climate commitments.

Officials said this represents a doubling of UK support compared with the previous five years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
46 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

UK is to provide £3bn over five years to support developing countries

In a move aimed at setting the tone for COP26, the government has said it will be further supporting the rollout of sustainable infrastructure and new green technology in countries that cannot afford to make climate commitments.

Officials said this represents a doubling of UK support compared with the previous five years.

Another mind boggling  waste of money. Why don't we look after our back garden first rather than polishing the brass on a sinking ship somewhere else...

Posted

On 01/11/2021 at 14:44, ANYWEATHER said:

Another mind boggling  waste of money. Why don't we look after our back garden first rather than polishing the brass on a sinking ship somewhere else...

At least we're doing something to help other countries.

Posted

Joe Biden has said that the United States will reduce their greenhouse emissions by over a giga-tonne while making it more affordable to consumers to save on their energy bills.

He has also said that he plans to introduce a tax credit in the US and lower energy prices, while increasing credit for electric vehicles.

The US will reach its goal of reducing US emissions by 50% to 53% on 2005 levels by 2030.

Lastly Joe Biden said the US will announce a new initiative over the next seven days on climate change.