Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COP26 (UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties) Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
17 hours ago, SnowBear said:

Nothing wrong with have an oss, they can produce the muck we will need for all the plant food which will have to be grown! Oh, hang on.... More excess wind... Methane... Oops! 

They'll still be less polluting than what we have now and it would also make folks fitter as well.

• Like 1

Posted

We looked at poss of buying an EV back in April, but decided to 'postpone' until next time (likely 5 or 6 years) - we usually buy and change car every 6 or 7 years. This time around just too costly, up front. And buying a second hand EV, there's always the possibility the battery wont last much longer.

In our street we have an issue with installation of electric charging points on side of our houses. I dont understand the tech details about the issue, but basically our houses share electric for some aspects i.e. 2 houses next to each other. Our neighbour, opposite ours, has bought a Mini EV. But to have her charging point installed the suppliers had to arrange for power company to dig up her neighbours and do something to elec supply that they share. Firstly, the neighbour was under no obligation to grant permission so she could've been stuffed. I would imagine there are issues like this in many streets in the UK.

I just wonder whether newer, different, cheaper technology will emerge in next few years that makes a different choice of environ friendly cars much more affordable rather than electric battery ones.

As for the heating issue with replacement of gas, something needs to be a better alternative than the monstrosity that is heat pumps. Who would want a huge extractor thingy attached to the wall of a mid-terrace house? Plus, the inefficiency of many of them to supply proper hot water or proper heat into homes.

• Like 1

Posted

So we're officially in overtime and most likely COP26 will finish today, at the moment there's currently two huddles with disagreements which are apparently about Loss And Damage and REDD+ (Article 6)

This has delayed the press conference by about a hour so far.

For those interested here's the third (final version?)

https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/Overarching_decision_1-CMA-3_1.pdf

https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/Overarching_decision_1-CP-26_1.pdf

Posted

The COP26/The Glasgow Pact agreement has been reached, though most countries were disappointed in regards to India's "phase out" of unabated coal, to "phase down" of coal.

However this is the first time that coal and fossil fuels are in such a agreement.

Though the agreement is not perfect it is a start and a historic milestone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 hour ago, Skullzrulerz said:

The COP26/The Glasgow Pact agreement has been reached, though most countries were disappointed in regards to India's "phase out" of unabated coal, to "phase down" of coal.

However this is the first time that coal and fossil fuels are in such a agreement.

Though the agreement is not perfect it is a start and a historic milestone.

Problem is 'phase down' of coal is ambiguous.... if India cuts their emissions by 0.1% it is technically phasing down but won't make the slightest bit of difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No discussion I believe on the unsustainable population growth until we deal with that any agreement to me is fairly pointless.

Posted

How does man think he can now control the temperature and limit the warming to 1.5c? We can’t even accurately predict the weather 5 days out!

Take away the jet emissions in North America where jets were grounded there after 9/11 for several days and the temp actually ROSE 1c.

Seems to me cleaner air means higher temperatures, and with earth also in one of it’s natural warming phases I think they’ll be a number questioning actions in five to ten years time when things are worse earlier than expected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, GSP said:

with earth also in one of it’s natural warming phases

Wrong! Earth is in one of its natural cooling phases. Grand Solar Minimum and Milankovitch Cycles?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 minutes ago, GSP said:

How does man think he can now control the temperature and limit the warming to 1.5c? We can’t even accurately predict the weather 5 days out!

Take away the jet emissions in North America where jets were grounded there after 9/11 for several days and the temp actually ROSE 1c.

Seems to me cleaner air means higher temperatures, and with earth also in one of it’s natural warming phases I think they’ll be a number questioning actions in five to ten years time when things are worse earlier than expected.

Please provide proof of these claims, or else posts such as this will be removed.

Claiming "clearer air = higher temperatures" based on a few days when planes were grounded is not science.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
_121549719_1u-zwy-g.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Young activists on the frontline of climate change explain what the deal struck at COP26 means to them.

So happy we now only discuss the science, since all those conspiracy theorists who dare question the AGW narrative and omission of all data that contradicts it have been shut down to maintain the "consensus," and we have headlines such as this instead.

Bezos must wonder why he builds vast new properties costing hundreds of millions on Island coasts. I thought he had an epiphany while on his private rocket ship on AGW?

Still, the wealthiest most corrupt people in the world are definitely the ones we need to trust and give up all sense of autonomy for, right down to our free will.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Please provide proof of these claims, or else posts such as this will be removed.

Claiming "clearer air = higher temperatures" based on a few days when planes were grounded is not science.

Sorry, it was nearer 2c nearer more populated areas.

contrails_southeast_lrg1.gif?w=720&h=379
GLOBALNEWS.CA

Thousands of jets leave contrails over North America every day. They affect climate, but figuring out how was one of the more unlikely legacies of 9/11.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

All in All, was the Cop26 worth all the rigmarole of hundreds of High Furluting Egotistical,  brain washing dictating  scaremongering people spending all that energy on a conference that nowadays could be done online throughout the World. .? No. I was brought up a Jehovahs Witness and not been one for many years ,but I know what brain washing is! If I was asked to take a verse out of the Bible which I was forced fed ,it would be " Man cannot direct his own step" . So this climate conference just like all the others will bring us back to the same full stop when they issue the next Cop26. ......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Sky News:

Dieter Helm, Professor of Economics and Energy Policy, was speaking to Trevor Phillips following the end of COP26 in Glasgow.

He said: "If the objective of COP26 was to keep 1.5C alive, it is dead.

"Even if for the first time ever every country does everything that it set out to do we wont be able to do 1.5C.

"The truth is that the future of climate in this world will be largely determined in places like India, China, Sub-Saharan Africa and in the rainforest."

He added that considering this, "the key players" were not at the table at the UN Climate Change Conference.

Professor Helm said: "There's no plan to go from 80% fossil fuels to zero globally, in fact that's starkly absent from the discussion at Glasgow."

Asked what level of temperature hike we should realistically expect, he said it is more likely to be between 1.8C and 2.4C.

"My guess is it's much closer to 2.4C," he said. "This is really serious, this is a dramatic change that will happen in this century and affect all of us."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

FEIxvFLVUAswOZ8.jpeg

Posted

just piublished key elements from Carbon Brief staff

COP26: Key outcomes agreed at the UN climate talks in Glasgow

https://www.carbonbrief.org/cop26-key-outcomes-agreed-at-the-un-climate-talks-in-glasgow?utm_campaign=Subscription invite &utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue newsletter

• 2 months later...
Posted
skynews-china-coal-graphic_5571488.jpg?2
NEWS.SKY.COM

Coal is the most polluting fossil fuel, but Zhejiang Energy Group claims the project will aid the province's low-carbon transition. An analyst says China's clean energy growth is...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...