Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Favourite Decembers, previous December chat

damianslaw

Posted

December is a couple of weeks away, and as the adverts are festooned with snowy images, with christmas around the corner. Memories inevitable turn to Decembers of the past. Please use this thread to discuss your opinions on favourite Decembers, general chat about Decembers of yesteryear. You may want to single out a particular weather event, a memory from christmas weather.. 

When someone says December, my first thought is darkness and dullness. It is not renowned for being a sunny month and is our darkest overall. In many years it can be our wettest month - talking from a Lake District perspective - Dec 2015 springs to mind! I always think any cold settled snowy weather is a bonus, and never expect much from the month in this respect. Cold spells tend to fizzle out quick ousted by the atlantic but not always, 2009 and 2010 proved this.

My favourite December overall is a tough one to call, I'm 43 so my memories are only strong from about 1986 onwards.. I don't remember 1981 for instance.

I'M going to go with 2009, beating 2010 just, as it produced more snow, though was nowhere near as cold, and the cold weather only arrived by the 11th. It had more impact on the back of a general run of either very wet mild winters, or just episodic ones for cold weather, 1981 was the last cold one!

2010 was superb and had we had one decent fall of snow that stuck around it would beat 2009. The cold was exceptional and seeing rivers and lakes freeze over will last etched in memory for a long time. The run up to christmas was especially magical. The cold did ebb away from the 27th after a snowfall.

1995 is my third favourite, generally cold throughout, with an exceptionally cold last week. Not much snow, but what snow did fall stuck around. 

Honourable mention Dec 2000, last week of the month brought a very heavy snowfall.

Worst December 2015 - hand down, mildest on record, wettest on record.

• Like 1

Posted

Memorable - it has to be December 1981 in the N Downs area. Despite the vagaries of trying to commute in the snow, there were some gorgeous days, including Christmas Day, when the snow lay deep and crisp and even, and the low sun helped to create a panoramic scene for all to enjoy. Remarkable that it all took place 40 years ago next month. Like the storm of 6th August 1981, I remember it as if it were yesterday

snow 1981 2 (2).jpg

snow 1981 3 (2).jpg

snow 1981 4 (2).jpg

snow 1981 5 (2).jpg

snow 1981 7.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2010 has to take first place here - no other decembers in my lifetime have been like it. 2009 is a close second and actually overall I preferred 09/10 as the severe cold petered out after Christmas 2010.

After that, it’d have to be 2008 and 2005 for the overall chilly conditions. 08 didn’t bring any snow here but 05 brought a snowfall in the final week. I’d also give honourable mention to 2001 for how sunny it was, and therefore frosty, with a snowy northerly at the end. Shame it all went downhill after that.

I was just a bit too young to remember 1995 but, after spending Christmas in Brazil in 1996, I definitely remember arriving back in Bristol in early Jan to bitter cold and snow on the ground. Those two would probably be in the top ranks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I was born in 2001 so my memories of December only really begin fully in 2010. 

Dec. 2010 memories aren’t all that thorough but I do remember cold and snow as well as laying snow on Xmas day. It’s the only time in my life I’ve ever experienced two consecutive white Christmases, them being the only two! This definitely goes in the good list 

Dec. 2011 I remember pretty much nothing and for good reason so that goes into the bad list. 

Dec. 2012 I remember for the first half being really seasonably cold but I don’t remember snow. Vividly remember some torrential rain showers on Christmas Day and reports of floods in the news. I’ll put it in the OK list  

Dec. 2013 I remember well, especially after the 19th. The Christmas Eve storm took out our power supply on Christmas morning. It was the start of an agonising spell of wind and rain for the next two months. Straight to the bad list. 

Dec. 2014 I don’t remember much of except the Christmas and New Year period which felt cold, crisp and sunny. No snow. One for OK list. 

Dec. 2015 is a month I never want to remember ever again so I don’t even want to spend much time on it. Revolting. I live in the SE so it seemed like a month of nothing. No sun, not much rain (different in the north!!!), not a single frost and obviously no snow. #1 on the bad list.

Dec. 2016 I remember thinking had more in store than what it delivered. I was on the forums regularly by this point. Mild, dull, sort of no weather at all from memory, dry too. Very mild but sunny on Christmas Day but then followed a beautifully crisp and cold festive period which lasted much of January down here. That just about puts it on the OK list.

Dec. 2017 I remember fondly as we had heavy snowfall on (I think?) the 10th which lasted a few days. I remember bitterly cold treacherously icy conditions on the 11th and almost falling over. Rest of the month wasn’t as interesting here and Christmas Day was pretty wet and cloudy but I still add it to the good list.

Dec. 2018 was just rank, only slightly less terrible than 2015 because it at least managed some seasonable weather despite it being scarce. I remember it feeling unendingly boring, dull, grey and unfestive. Bad list!

Dec. 2019 was just boring. We managed two cold days on the 1st and 2nd then it was wet and windy much of the rest of the month, kind of a blur really. Remember going to the voting polls with my grandmother and it absolutely pouring with rain with leaden skies. Sums it up really. Bad list.

and finally so far Dec. 2020 which I actually enjoyed. The first ten days brought plenty of fog & frost which felt really nice and festive. No snow all month but still enjoyed the little polar blast at months end too. Christmas was seasonably frosty. Only spoiled by some yucky southwesterlies mid month. I’m being generous and adding it to my good list.

I’d go 

1. 2010 | 2. 2017 | 3. 2020 | 4. 2014 | 5. 2012 | 6. 2016 | 7. 2011 | 8. 2019 | 9. 2018 | 10. 2015

• Like 1

Posted

First place is 2010, hands down. Fantastic month.

Second place is 1995, we only had a few flurrys of snow here in Poole, but it was very cold at times and atmospheric.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

I remember 1981, as there was more than one snowfall - and I got a Grifter XL for Christmas, but couldn't ride it until New Year when the roads cleared up. 

While 2010 brought more snow, and colder conditions, I preferred 2009. Finally, 1995 wasn't massively snowy, but it was cold & seasonal. Though I should mention 1996.

As for the bad, well where do you start? Too many horror shows - but 2015 is probably the low - going for a test drive just before Christmas near Chester, and having lunch outside in Cheshire Oaks, as it was not mild, but warm. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

I was born in 1962. Not that I can recall that much! but apparently it was quite eventful if not tragic. 
Being somewhat Mountaineering oriented we always went out when the Weather bared it’s Winter teeth. Too many boringly exciting stories to mention maybe Blencathra via Halls Fell Ridge at Christmas 1989 but if you really want it you have to go looking for it - luckily Cumbria is only an hour or so drive away and it’s easier to get a parking spot in Langdale when it’s minus 5…! 

Yes they are few and far between here in lowland Lancashire December 1979 (Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall was Number One in the charts) December 1981 working long gone cold nightshift factory life with midnight snow blowing under the shopfloor doors. 

17-12-2010 my sons 10th Birthday.

He always remembers it and possibly won’t be repeated again in a generation from a Fylde coastal lowland perspective. The sledge is collecting dust. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I was born in 73 ,my favourite Decembers of my lifetime would be 78,81,90,92,95,96 ,2000 , 2001,2009,2010 and 2017.

• Like 1

Posted

i was born too long ago to remember   

1981 was memorable as was 2009.

of course, there were many memorable snow events but not specifically in December

the year i joined netweather has to be the worst december - 2004

Edited by MAF

Posted
On 16/11/2021 at 15:45, MAF said:

White Christmas for many of us that year, though probably not in London. 

Posted

Thanks for posts so far. 1996 would be a close fourth. Mostly cold and very foggy and frosty.

Mentions go out to 1990 mainly on account of the snowfall on the 8th but overall it was fairly average. 1992 brought quite cold frosty conditions second half of month but no snow. 1993 was episodic a couple of decent cold shots around 11-14th and more notably 23rd to 27th. We had a white Christmas. 2001 was very sunny and cold lots of frost and the last week brought some snow indeed a snowy new year akin to 1996 in many respects. 2002 and 2003 teased with fleeting cold and a bit of snow before christmas. New year 03 was cold. 2005 a bit like 2001 often sunny frosty with a dose of snow 27th. 2004 brought a white Christmas but otherwise was fairly mild. 2006 and 2007 brought the faux cold high pressure no snow but the cold went by Christmas. 2008 was good a cold first half decent snow on the 5th.. then wet and mild, last week cold and frosty. 2002 started like 2008 frosty and cold first half but then very mild and wet to New Year. 2014 a bit of snow after Christmas. 2017 early cold and frost then mild then a bit of snow 29th. 2020 cold first 10 days then very mild and wet then cold at the end. 2008, 2020 were very similar.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 16/11/2021 at 14:45, MAF said:

Funnily enough one of the better ones here purely because of a surprise snowfall on the 18th/19th and snow showers on Christmas Day. A lot of the rest of the month was very bland though tbf... much like this month so far.

Posted

In terms of cold and snow probably something like this.

1. 2010 - I wonder if I’ll ever see a month like that again, it was like living in Lapland.

2. 2009 - Overshadowed by the year after but a proper white Christmas and a very cold last week.

3. 2008 - snowy first week and freezing end.

2017 was good throughout with periodic snow and I remember the snowy last week of December 2000. Last year was good for cold around Christmas but it was such a depressing time I can’t say it’s a favourite month. 

2015 should be the worst but it was so memorable (for the wrong reasons) I find it fascinating. 

Worsts would be 2016, 2018, 2019 and many others like 2006, just dull, dark wet and rubbish. The wind was nuts in 2013 but again like 2015 was “interesting” from a weather perspective. 

Most of the others I can remember will just go down as average. 2014 I remember for the snowy Boxing Day in a otherwise forgettable month. 

Edited by Summer18

On 16/11/2021 at 14:45, MAF said:

i was born too long ago to remember   

1981 was memorable as was 2009.

of course, there were many memorable snow events but not specifically in December

December 2002 was more of disappointment

Edited by TM1400

The nights in 02 barely went below freezing despite it being a cool mean max the cool spell in December 02, was ruined by temperatures at night that didn’t really differentiate from daytime temperatures night time temps were mostly always above freezing despite the days being cool/cold

Edited by TM1400

Posted
On 17/11/2021 at 16:17, TM1400 said:

The nights in 02 barely went below freezing despite it being a cool mean max the cool spell in December 02, was ruined by temperatures at night that didn’t really differentiate from daytime temperatures night time temps were mostly always above freezing despite the days being cool/cold

Dec 02 another month that featured some decent cold weather in first half, nothing notable but cold.. followed by very mild weather run up to Christmas and through to the New Year. 

Years that had cold run ins to Christmas have been rare in last 40 years only 1981, 1996, 2009 and 2010 notably so. Some a bit episodic such as 1982, 1993, 1995, 2001, 2003. Some turned cold last week 1985, 1992, 1993 - shortlived, 2000, 2005 - slightly so, 2008, 2020.

What a poor run since 2010 shocking, nothing at all, period 15th Dec to 25th has been very mild in the main. Hope 2021 doesn't join the list.. long overdue some cold seasonal weather lead up to Christmas.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i was living in Canada by 2010 so i missed Dec 2010..1981 was snowy and cold..last 2 weeks of Dec 78 were very interesting as it swung from cold to mild and back to cold again..Dec 1995 was almost the perfect Dec..it generally was cold all month with some early snowfalls and tended to get colder as the month went on..was very cold between Xmas and the new year ..also i proposed to my wife on Xmas day 1995 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i was living in Canada by 2010 so i missed Dec 2010..1981 was snowy and cold..last 2 weeks of Dec 78 were very interesting as it swung from cold to mild and back to cold again..Dec 1995 was almost the perfect Dec..it generally was cold all month with some early snowfalls and tended to get colder as the month went on..was very cold between Xmas and the new year ..also i proposed to my wife on Xmas day 1995 

1995 was an excellent month, but we had no significant snow, a couple of inches or so at best. It started mild with SW flow then a cold easterly on the 5th. Then mostly cold and frost with high pressure. Some more snow around 18th- 20th.. then am interesting battle Atlantic tried to make inroads and won briefly but the cold surged back on the 23rd. We then had a run of ice days until 31st with severe frosts.

Posted
On 16/11/2021 at 13:14, Iceaxecrampon said:

I was born in 1962. Not that I can recall that much! but apparently it was quite eventful if not tragic. 
Being somewhat Mountaineering oriented we always went out when the Weather bared it’s Winter teeth. Too many boringly exciting stories to mention maybe Blencathra via Halls Fell Ridge at Christmas 1989 but if you really want it you have to go looking for it - luckily Cumbria is only an hour or so drive away and it’s easier to get a parking spot in Langdale when it’s minus 5…! 

Yes they are few and far between here in lowland Lancashire December 1979 (Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall was Number One in the charts) December 1981 working long gone cold nightshift factory life with midnight snow blowing under the shopfloor doors. 

17-12-2010 my sons 10th Birthday.

He always remembers it and possibly won’t be repeated again in a generation from a Fylde coastal lowland perspective. The sledge is collecting dust. 

I worked in Blackpool between 2009 and 2013 when we had our brief run of cold winters. As such I remember the Fylde Coast as being generally pretty cold and snowy, though I know it isn’t! I can remember one night in December 2010 the motorway was shut for some reason or another so I took a back road route home to where I lived on the other side of Preston. It was dark, everything was covered in a few inches of sparkling snow and there were Christmas lights on everywhere. It’s one of my favourite winter memories. 

Anyway, my favourites:

2010 - was perfect really.

2009 - there was probably a bit more snow than 2010 but not for as long.

1995 - for the memorably cold last week.

1994 - the little cold spell between Christmas and New Year is just about the first one I can remember with any clarity.

Pretty much every other December merges into one generally dark and damp lump of nothingness. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, trickydicky said:

I worked in Blackpool between 2009 and 2013 when we had our brief run of cold winters. As such I remember the Fylde Coast as being generally pretty cold and snowy, though I know it isn’t! I can remember one night in December 2010 the motorway was shut for some reason or another so I took a back road route home to where I lived on the other side of Preston. It was dark, everything was covered in a few inches of sparkling snow and there were Christmas lights on everywhere. It’s one of my favourite winter memories. 

Anyway, my favourites:

2010 - was perfect really.

2009 - there was probably a bit more snow than 2010 but not for as long.

1995 - for the memorably cold last week.

1994 - the little cold spell between Christmas and New Year is just about the first one I can remember with any clarity.

Pretty much every other December merges into one generally dark and damp lump of nothingness. 

1994 not so sure about the cold spell, there was a brief northerly New Years Eve and New Years Day, but much of the christmas week 24th-30th was wet and very mild. 

Posted
13 hours ago, damianslaw said:

1994 not so sure about the cold spell, there was a brief northerly New Years Eve and New Years Day, but much of the christmas week 24th-30th was wet and very mild. 

Yeah that’ll probably be it, I can remember going sledging on New Years Day on an absolute bare minimum of snow and mainly frozen grass! Prior to that I can remember snow but not when it was, I was too young to be paying attention! 

Posted
11 hours ago, trickydicky said:

Yeah that’ll probably be it, I can remember going sledging on New Years Day on an absolute bare minimum of snow and mainly frozen grass! Prior to that I can remember snow but not when it was, I was too young to be paying attention! 

Yes - frozen grass sounds right. We had a few snow showers, but nothing substantive away from high ground. Dec 94 was very mild and wet, but there was a very short very cold freezing fog around 21st, lasted 24 hrs.