Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Morning all, looking around the models not a lot of change from the 18Zs except a little narrowing down on the worst areas, the epicenter for strong winds appears centred on the Berwick upon Tweed area where 90mph gusts are widely forecast, with 80-85mph widely on NE coasts - though some models still closer to 100mph. North Wales also looking at 80mph+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
54 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Morning all, looking around the models not a lot of change from the 18Zs except a little narrowing down on the worst areas, the epicenter for strong winds appears centred on the Berwick upon Tweed area where 90mph gusts are widely forecast, with 80-85mph widely on NE coasts - though some models still closer to 100mph. North Wales also looking at 80mph+

Morning MWB,

How far inland would you say the strong winds will get? Are we looking at mainly those right on the coast or some a few miles inland? I'm just thinking populated cities like Newcastle and Sunderland for the NE etc and the likes of Edinburgh.

Looking at those charts I'd take a bet that those winds upto 80mph+ will have an impact a little way inland too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
2 minutes ago, P-M said:

Morning MWB,

How far inland would you say the strong winds will get? Are we looking at mainly those right on the coast or some a few miles inland? I'm just thinking populated cities like Newcastle and Sunderland for the NE etc and the likes of Edinburgh.

Looking at those charts I'd take a bet that those winds upto 80mph+ will have an impact a little way inland too. 

Sunderland is pretty much on the coast tbh, only a couple of miles, if that away. Dangerous situation for sure. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
4 minutes ago, North East Blizzard said:

Sunderland is pretty much on the coast tbh, only a couple of miles, if that away. Dangerous situation for sure. 

It is but it stretches miles inland too. So Sunderland right on the coast yes I'd expect but places further inland I was curious. Newcastle is few miles inland and Washington where I am part of Sunderland but about 7 miles as the crow flies inland. 

I can't recall seeing charts like this for low lying areas this close to a wind event it's crazy. 

Posted
On 26/11/2021 at 08:19, North East Blizzard said:

yes, most important thing is people stay safe. If there are to be winds of that speed then I would hope a more vividly worded warning to be issued. Definitely worth staying indoors unless absolutely essential in those conditions.

Not to veer off topic too much but I witnessed the aftermath of a someone being struck and killed by a piece of timber some years ago. He was an Everton supporter walking towards the Leicester City stadium on a very windy day back in 2004. Since then I have always been mindful of the random dangers that dangerous wind can cause.

• Like 4

Posted

Looking at predictions for wind speed / gusts on here Berwick-on-Tweed looks to be in the firing line for the worst of it currently, I have never seen 90mph+ predictions before. We are right on the edge of the Amber warning here, and I think the exact track is going to make all the difference, a few miles either way is going to be the difference between a big impact event and a typical winter gale.

image.thumb.png.b1a89a5f281cc584ace5ea6472fa3b06.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Right on the coast

Gwrych_Castle%E2%80%99s_east_front.jpg

Hopefully, they'll bin the whole thing so I don't have to sit and watch it every night with the family. For some reason they enjoy watching people they've never heard of eat animal genitalia.

• Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Looking at predictions for wind speed / gusts on here Berwick-on-Tweed looks to be in the firing line for the worst of it currently, I have never seen 90mph+ predictions before. We are right on the edge of the Amber warning here, and I think the exact track is going to make all the difference, a few miles either way is going to be the difference between a big impact event and a typical winter gale.

image.thumb.png.b1a89a5f281cc584ace5ea6472fa3b06.png

This is exceptional stuff, there seems to be model agreement for 90+mph gusts too.

Posted

Here's the ukv from 3am..

5vlal0.thumb.gif.25fb0f6fc5e183763e3b78f8a593dbff.gif

Winds do look severe for some coastal areas, the possibility of 80-90mph from a northerly direction is very notable but even the fairly widespread 50-65mph wind gusts across large parts elsewhere is enough to cause some localised damage accompanied by rain and snow for some. 

5vlap3.thumb.gif.26c9df990550d67ac39f844407e7c3fe.gif

Edited by jordan smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
34 minutes ago, P-M said:

It is but it stretches miles inland too. So Sunderland right on the coast yes I'd expect but places further inland I was curious. Newcastle is few miles inland and Washington where I am part of Sunderland but about 7 miles as the crow flies inland. 

I can't recall seeing charts like this for low lying areas this close to a wind event it's crazy. 

Yeah, I'm 43 and can't remember winds of this strength coming from the North before. Going to be a crazy night up here. Stay safe. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Not very often you see such strong wind gusts from a Northerly wind Predicted tonight and early hours for inland parts.....okay maybe from a Southwesterly gale but rarely from that direction....

ukgust.webp

Posted

Very surprised at the lack of news coverage regarding this if this storm was bartering the south later it would be all the talk on the news outlets sadly people won’t be prepared. 

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 minute ago, Love Snow said:

Very surprised at the lack of news coverage regarding this if this storm was bartering the south later it would be all the talk on the news outlets sadly people won’t be prepared. 

Was just thinking that. A lot of people are going to get caught out by this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
21 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Was just thinking that. A lot of people are going to get caught out by this.

Agree.. 

having said that my dad knows about it and lives on south coast.. he heard it on the radio possibly as he has no social media. Mind you he is an old sailor so is attuned to these warnings. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
10 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Agree.. 

having said that my dad knows about it and lives on south coast.. he heard it on the radio possibly as he has no social media. Mind you he is an old sailor so is attuned to these warnings. 

This is the BEebs coverage. Pathetic

_121827212_mediaitem121827211.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The alert - meaning damage and travel disruption may be expected - comes in from 15:00 GMT.
_121827212_mediaitem121827211.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The alert - meaning damage and travel disruption may be expected - comes in from 15:00 GMT.

I’ve just sent them a complaint to say not good enough. 

• Like 3

Posted

I think this could be quite the storm tonight, particularly so for those in the NE. 

There have been very few gales in the last year with blocked weather patterns dominating on the whole

Combined with the fact that the wind is coming from an unusually Northerly direction, it may catch quite a few people off guard.

Thankfully, the strongest winds take place overnight when less people will be out and about. That could be the saving grace.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I think we should start a sweepstakes on lorries turned over. A66, A1, will probably end up closed as distribution centres ignore warnings and send the HGVs out to their doom.

I reckon 37 lorries between now and 8am

• Like 4

Do the Met Office have a time they update warnings? I really don't think these yellows and ambers are enough.

I agree with others thoughts that had this been a south east event wed have never heard the end of it with the media coverage. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Met office just updated, removed parts of Scotland and included more of East Anglia!!! What a joke!!

Posted

No surprises then, lack of media coverage as London isn't in the firing line.

Met Office either know something we don't, or they think potentially 90mph+ gusts in the heavily populated NE don't warrant a red warning. 

I'd have thought that 60mph+ gusts for inland areas would be cause for an Amber, especially since it's a strange direction for strong wind to be coming from. 

• Like 3