Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Top 10 wind storms

Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

As we're in the wake of a wind storm, what would the ten most memorable windstorms of your experience (in the UK or immediately adjacent areas, such as northern France or Ireland) be?

For me I can come up with a top 7 quite easily but the bottom three are a bit more difficult.

1. October 1987 storm, no surprise

2. Burns Storm, January 1990

Next three, in no particular order:

St Jude Storm, October 2013

Valentine Storm, February 2014

Storm of October 29 2000

Next two, in no particular order:

The strong storm which preceded the Valentine storm in 2014 by perhaps three or four days

Storm of October 26/27, 2002

The bottom three are a bit more difficult, but I'll say:

The storms of around Christmas in 1997, and again in 1998 (one of these years had two on the trot, the other had just one if i remember right).

Interestingly if it was a top 20, at least three more from autumn-winter 2013/14 would make it to the list.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Oct 1987 117mph right here in this location! Not too sure about the rest of the list.

Posted

'87 was wild. Was working at USAF Bentwaters at the time, just swathes of trees down in the area especially around Rendlesham Forest.

The place we lived lost the conservatory roof, garage roof, the stables were damaged and lost 3 trees in the fields. Caravans in the holiday park over the other side of the railway were mostly turned over. 

The house we lived had a ¼ mile drive with a stream to one side, impassable for nearly a week. Fortunately we had stocked freezers. 

The chainsaw saw much action for some time afterwards. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

It's difficult to think of 10 as a lot of them just blended together without really standing out plus i'm 31 so some of those mentioned above were before my time. Top 3 would be easy enough.

1. Has to be the Jan 3rd 2012 storm (Ulli). It was the shortest duration but the 90mph + winds and widespread damage that came from the stingjet definitely stand out. It was just a bog standard gale other than for that 40-50 minutes where there were frequent 80-90 mph gusts and maybe even a bit higher. Debris flying around everywhere, a couple of roofs off on my street and over the next couple of weeks i saw dozens of houses getting roof damage repaired. The thing that stood out most was everything seemed to be moving, trees were bent almost horizontal and even the street light poles were wobbling violently plus you could actually see the windows visibly bulging in with each gust. If that had been a long lasting (5-6 hour) storm i reckon dozens or maybe even hundreds of people would've been killed.

2. Probably the boxing day 1998 storm. Being 8 at the time I can't remember too much but it must have been easily into the 80mph range for a few hours. Living in a tower at the time I remember sitting still and being able to feel it swaying slightly which would definitely be more off putting now. Power outages and widespread minor damage as you would expect.

3. Has to be bawbag (Friedhelm). That might have been the most long lasting storm I can remember too as it seemed to peak and ease multiple times over about 10 hrs with bursts of 70 - 80mph gusts at various times. I don't remember much damage in my area other than a couple of roofs off but I do remember attempting to walk a dog in it, neither of us enjoyed the walk much...

Posted

Nice post, thank you summer8906. Totally agree on 1987 and 1990 as Nos 1 and 2. Unlike 1990, the 'Great Storm' of 1987 was relatively localised and I just happened to be in the firing line in S London. Ditto my 3rd choice - Christmas Eve 1997 - when I was living near Lancaster and the wind brought Christmas misery to many in the NW and N Wales. Also (equal 3rd) 18th January 2007, by which time I was living in my current location in Cheshire, and the afternoon gale was the strongest I've encountered in this area. Philip Eden has this gale as a case study in his very good book, Great British Weather Disasters. The wind of 12th February 2014 was fairly short-lived but is remembered by many locals because it brought the power lines down at Crewe station and the roof then caught fire as the wires short-circuited on the roof.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Living in the Pennines we didnt really catch the 1987 storm but had plenty of others.

1:-2nd January 1976,i was only a kid,we lived in a farmhouse at 1120 ft and was awaken in the middle of the night by our parents and told to go sleep downstairs as they thought the house roof was going to be blown off,it didnt but some of the heavy stone ridges and a lot of slates were shifted.

2:-Friday 13 January 1984.We woke up to the sight of one of the farm buildings blown to pieces all the way down the fields,it was very windy and we were supposed to go an an absailing trip at school,i thought it would be called off,it wasnt but calmed down a bit by then.

Other notable storms

Late December 1979

15th January 1982

Late March 1986[uk highest windspeed]

Burns night storm 1990

Braer storm 1993

Xmas eve 1997

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Living in the Pennines we didnt really catch the 1987 storm but had plenty of others.

1:-2nd January 1976,i was only a kid,we lived in a farmhouse at 1120 ft and was awaken in the middle of the night by our parents and told to go sleep downstairs as they thought the house roof was going to be blown off,it didnt but some of the heavy stone ridges and a lot of slates were shifted.

Heard of this one being quite a severe and extreme event, but like just about everything else that happened in 1976, I was alive but too young to remember anything. Sadly, in the case of the summer.

2:-Friday 13 January 1984.We woke up to the sight of one of the farm buildings blown to pieces all the way down the fields,it was very windy and we were supposed to go an an absailing trip at school,i thought it would be called off,it wasnt but calmed down a bit by then.

Other notable storms

Late December 1979

This is going back a long way but I do remember repeated windy nights perhaps late November, early December 1979 which made (brand new) streetlights outside shake in the wind.

15th January 1982

What was this one? I thought the synoptics of January 1982 were very cold indeed with snow from early in the month, followed by a very gradual and gentle thaw to milder but still dry conditions in the second half.

From the same era I remember a wind/snow storm (but which only produced rain and a temporary thaw where I was) in mid-December 1981. Perhaps this one might qualify for the top 10 but I was too young to clearly compare it to some of the others. I think late 1981, before the famous December, was pretty stormy overall, in fact. I recall one Saturday night sometime in, perhaps October, perhaps November, where we had a baby-sitter and "Juliet Bravo" was on the TV (who remembers that?) and there was a pretty severe wind-storm moving in.

That said, the 80s (despite 1987) overall seemed substantially less stormy than either the 90s or the period since winter 2006-07, when storminess seemed to ramp up again.

Burns night storm 1990

Braer storm 1993

Xmas eve 1997

This would be one of my three 8-10. Thinking about it, I think there was one strong storm Christmas Eve and then another Boxing Day, does that sound right? Then the 1998 one was again on Boxing Day, @Ross90 thanks for confirming that. These ones I was a bit hazier on the exact days as they came in the middle of general stormy spells.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
14 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Heard of this one being quite a severe and extreme event, but like just about everything else that happened in 1976, I was alive but too young to remember anything. Sadly, in the case of the summer.

This is going back a long way but I do remember repeated windy nights perhaps late November, early December 1979 which made (brand new) streetlights outside shake in the wind.

What was this one? I thought the synoptics of January 1982 were very cold indeed with snow from early in the month, followed by a very gradual and gentle thaw to milder but still dry conditions in the second half.

From the same era I remember a wind/snow storm (but which only produced rain and a temporary thaw where I was) in mid-December 1981. Perhaps this one might qualify for the top 10 but I was too young to clearly compare it to some of the others. I think late 1981, before the famous December, was pretty stormy overall, in fact. I recall one Saturday night sometime in, perhaps October, perhaps November, where we had a baby-sitter and "Juliet Bravo" was on the TV (who remembers that?) and there was a pretty severe wind-storm moving in.

That said, the 80s (despite 1987) overall seemed substantially less stormy than either the 90s or the period since winter 2006-07, when storminess seemed to ramp up again.

This would be one of my three 8-10. Thinking about it, I think there was one strong storm Christmas Eve and then another Boxing Day, does that sound right? Then the 1998 one was again on Boxing Day, is that correct? These ones I'm a bit hazier on the exact days as they came in the middle of general stormy spells.

Sorry that should have been 15th December 1982

Yes very windy the whole xmas period 1997,similarly around the Braer storm,there was a lot of stormy weather around.

Posted
6 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Sorry that should have been 15th December 1982

Yes very windy the whole xmas period 1997,similarly around the Braer storm,there was a lot of stormy weather around.

Thanks. Can't remember the Dec 82 event but I do remember a mild zonal pattern in late 1982, early 1983 though pretty dry where I was in the south - so wouldn't surprise me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

One of the most notable for me not mentioned already was Ophelia.

I was moving a boat across the Midlands, but wasnt so much the wind that made it stand out(although spectacular in Ireland)..

..but the orange twilight for half the day as it dragged up Sahara sand and mixed it with Spanish and Portuguese wildfire smoke.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Although I was born in 1992, I'll include the earlier 90s too for context. In my neck of the woods, gusts of over 50mph are significant, 60mph quite rare, and 70mph even rarer. It normally takes a straight westerly or west-southwesterly with a decent wind run to achieve that. Here are the top ten in my lifetime (excusing 1990)

1 25th January 1990 82mph

2 08th-09th December 1993 77mph

3 25th-28th Febuary 1990 69mph

3 01st April 1994 69mph

4 18th January 2007 68mph

5 01st February 1990 67mph

6 10th March 2008 66mph

7 24th October 1998 65mph

8 27th October 2002 64mph

8 26th January 1994 64mph

9 11th November 2010 63mph

9 03rd-04th January 1998 63mph

10 29th-31st March 2015 62mph

Other significant dates include:

25th October 1992 54mph

24th-25th December 1997 58mph

26th December 1998 54mph

24th December 1999 55mph

28th-29th April 2002 48mph (significant for time of year)

31st January 2004 59mph

20th-21st March 2004 57mph

23rd June 2004 47mph (significant for time of year)

03rd December 2006 56mph

28th February 2007 54mph

01st March 2008 54mph

12th September 2012 52mph

23rd December 2013 57mph

12th February 2014 54mph

14th February 2014 59mph

10th May 2014 49mph (significant for time of year)

17th November 2015 58mph

29th November 2015 55mph

30th December 2015 54mph

08th February 2016 55mph

02nd March 2016 55mph

23rd February 2017 58mph

10th December 2017 56mph

02nd January 2018 54mph

27th April 2019 51mph (very significant for the time of year)

25th August 2020 45mph (significant for the time of year)

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, matty40s said:

One of the most notable for me not mentioned already was Ophelia.

I was moving a boat across the Midlands, but wasnt so much the wind that made it stand out(although spectacular in Ireland)..

..but the orange twilight for half the day as it dragged up Sahara sand and mixed it with Spanish and Portuguese wildfire smoke.

True, for "weird weather" that one would have to be tops. Only didn't include it because I was focusing on the strength of the wind. Also notable about Ophelia was the fact that it produced zero rain, at least here. I seem to remember there were two waves of orange sky, perhaps an hour or two apart and both around midday or early afternoon. Furthermore, the orange sky returned - albeit less intensely - the following day.

It was followed a few days later by "Brian", which was probably the most notable storm for wind here in the whole of the 17/18 season, though would probably not even make the top 30 of most severe windstorms I've experienced - and perhaps not even the top 40.

I'd agree that for general unusual conditions, Ophelia and the "Beast from the East" were by far the most notable events of the 17/18 season. The other notable one was around Dec 10th when we had a large low that produced snow for much of the country - but not here. Surprisingly, I don't think that one was named.

More generally it's interesting to see the different storms which people remember depending on where you are in the country. Due to my southern location quite a few of mine were storms on an unusually southerly track, which particularly affected the south (and were often accompanied by notable rain, again due to the southerly track). Of course I haven't actually measured windspeeds, so for me it could be that a storm is more memorable if the rain is noteworthy as well as the wind. 13/14 was particularly notable for this type of storm.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

4th January 1998. The most powerful windstorm that Ive experienced, My Dad and I drove to Portland Bill. There was a red warning out for 100mph winds, well Portland Bill that afternoon managed 105mph. We arrived at the Bill early afternoon just as a heavy black squall passed over that seemed to hearld in the peak winds which lasted an hour or two at hurricane force. I'll never forget the sound of the lighthouse, it was giving out a constant loud low hum as it resonated in the wind. There were blue skys and sunshine for much of it yet the visability was down to 100/200 metres and it looked like a thick fog had descended but it was actually a carpet of fine airborne seawater probably 20 metres deep coming in of the channel. The seas were massive and chaotic. Anyway I'm getting carried away here - it was good!

Ex-hurricane lilli,  October 1996. Quite violent for a time. I was living in Falmouth, I had my trusty hand held Anemometer and recorded 70 something knots. I remember the light changing all day and it being quite mild.

30th October 2000. Good storm, seem to remember it getting quite violent in the evening time the day before, then a lull and then building through the early hours. Lot of rain. I didnt go to bed that night.

Braer storm 9th January 1993. A severe gale of long duration. Dad drove me to his work place so I could use the fax machine there and get the latest Met Office fax, I've still got it somewhere, 909mb! I dont think it actually bottomed out that low but it looked amazing on A4.

I remember the build up to the Burns day storm, the warnings started about 5 days out, that was probably the best bit, when it actually arrived I was stuck in classes in East Devon and I think our postion was quite sheltered. But I remember night after night of storms that winter, hearing the wind drone down the chimneys as I lay in bed.

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, R Alto said:

4th January 1998. The most powerful windstorm that Ive experienced, My Dad and I drove to Portland Bill. There was a red warning out for 100mph winds, well Portland Bill that afternoon managed 105mph. We arrived at the Bill early afternoon just as a heavy black squall passed over that seemed to hearld in the peak winds which lasted an hour or two at hurricane force. I'll never forget the sound of the lighthouse, it was giving out a constant loud low hum as it resonated in the wind. There were blue skys and sunshine for much of it yet the visability was down to 100/200 metres and it looked like a thick fog had descended but it was actually a carpet of fine airborne seawater probably 20 metres deep coming in of the channel. The seas were massive and chaotic. Anyway I'm getting carried away here - it was good!

Ex-hurricane lilli,  October 1996. Quite violent for a time. I was living in Falmouth, I had my trusty hand held Anemometer and recorded 70 something knots. I remember the light changing all day and it being quite mild.

30th October 2000. Good storm, seem to remember it getting quite violent in the evening time the day before, then a lull and then building through the early hours. Lot of rain. I didnt go to bed that night.

Braer storm 9th January 1993. A severe gale of long duration. Dad drove me to his work place so I could use the fax machine there and get the latest Met Office fax, I've still got it somewhere, 909mb! I dont think it actually bottomed out that low but it looked amazing on A4.

The strange thing is I barely remember the Braer storm - not sure why. I was near Manchester that weekend and don't remember the weather being particularly untoward, though I do remember it was fairly unsettled. Both the Friday and Saturday were pretty bright IIRC. Perhaps it went through overnight? I do remember I was staying in a relatively unexposed location so it's possible I didn't notice it as anything special.

On the other hand I do recall Hurricane Lili and 4/1/98, those two would be close to the top 10 for me, probably in the top 15.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
17 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

The strange thing is I barely remember the Braer storm - not sure why. I was near Manchester that weekend and don't remember the weather being particularly untoward, though I do remember it was fairly unsettled. Both the Friday and Saturday were pretty bright IIRC. Perhaps it went through overnight? I do remember I was staying in a relatively unexposed location so it's possible I didn't notice it as anything special.

On the other hand I do recall Hurricane Lili and 4/1/98, those two would be close to the top 10 for me, probably in the top 15.

Not sure wether you know or not but the 'Braer' was not a named storm to start,it took the name off a ship.The 'MV Braer' was an oil tanker which was grounded off Shetland a week before by a previous storm.It was national news and was an ecological disaster touted similar to the 'Torrey canyon',Britains worst oil spillage.It was said it would take years to clean up the mess and would be catastrophic for Shetlands tourism.No one expected the severity of the storm to follow which massively helped to break down the oil which made cleaning up a far easier task than a week before.

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 11:15, Summer8906 said:

Thanks. Can't remember the Dec 82 event but I do remember a mild zonal pattern in late 1982, early 1983 though pretty dry where I was in the south - so wouldn't surprise me.

BBC1 | Weather with Michael Fish | 21/12/1982 - YouTube

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
On 29/11/2021 at 09:35, hillbilly said:

Other notable storms

Late December 1979

15th January 1982

Burns night storm 1990

Braer storm 1993

Xmas eve 1997

The early Jan 76 storm is largely forgotten now but did a tremendous amount of damage locally.

I can still remember a very short period of a deafening roar, the house shaking and the sound of slates being torn from the roofs.

The morning after was like a war zone with garden fences and the remains of our shed half way up the field.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, iand61 said:

The early Jan 76 storm is largely forgotten now but did a tremendous amount of damage locally.

I can still remember a very short period of a deafening roar, the house shaking and the sound of slates being torn from the roofs.

The morning after was like a war zone with garden fences and the remains of our shed half way up the field.

Wasn't this associated with tornadoes also?

I remember first reading about tornadoes in 1979 and assuming that they were only found in the midwestern USA and other places with similar climate. That is mostly true for the really strong tornadoes, but was unaware at the time places like the UK also got weak tornadoes, so I remember being amazed to hear, a short time later (1980/81, perhaps)  that tornadoes had affected the UK a few years earlier. I am fairly sure that, whatever event it was, it occurred sometime in 1976 and at a time of year you wouldn't normally associate with tornadoes (i.e. not late spring or summer).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

Fraserburgh recorded a gust of 142mph during this storm...this is by far the fastest gust ever recorded in the UK (away from mountains).

I wasn't living in Scotland at the time but it must have been devastating in the NE of Scotland.

CFSR_1_1989021318_1.png

• Like 1

Posted

Ones that stick out off the top of my head.

1. February 12th 2014 - I was ground staff at Leeds Bradford airport back then and the conditions up there can be rough In June. That winter was really bad for wind but this storm sticks out. The day was absolute carnage for flights and I remember the check in hall roof was flapping badly. The most memorable part was seeing a road sign wrapped around some traffic lights on the drive home though!

2. January 18th 2007, I was at school for this one and remember things getting really nasty walking home. I remember the roar of the wind whilst on my PlayStation in the evening.

3. December 2006, not sure of the exact date but think it was the first week. My dads fence blew away. 

Early January 2005 was really stormy as well as March 2008. I remember a really windy Christmas Eve as a kid which must be 1997. I’m sure I’ll recall some others when they are mentioned.

• Like 2

Posted
17 hours ago, Sawel said:

Fraserburgh recorded a gust of 142mph during this storm...this is by far the fastest gust ever recorded in the UK (away from mountains).

I wasn't living in Scotland at the time but it must have been devastating in the NE of Scotland.

CFSR_1_1989021318_1.png

I seem to remember this date,, roughly, marked the transition from benign, settled if very mild weather in the south (which had prevailed for about 2.5 months) into something more unsettled which persisted well into March. Mid-late February was much more disturbed down here than previously, though I don't recall anything especially windy. I do remember some late snow around the weekend of 25th/26th though.

Posted
On 01/12/2021 at 10:45, Summer8906 said:

Wasn't this associated with tornadoes also?

I remember first reading about tornadoes in 1979 and assuming that they were only found in the midwestern USA and other places with similar climate. That is mostly true for the really strong tornadoes, but was unaware at the time places like the UK also got weak tornadoes, so I remember being amazed to hear, a short time later (1980/81, perhaps)  that tornadoes had affected the UK a few years earlier. I am fairly sure that, whatever event it was, it occurred sometime in 1976 and at a time of year you wouldn't normally associate with tornadoes (i.e. not late spring or summer).

I'm not sure about 1976 but there was a notable tornado outbreak in the UK in November 1981: 

spacer.png

For me, the January 1990 storm is probably most memorable, our school roof blew off and we were sent home.  Our chimney cap also blew down on New Years Day 2014 so that would be another memorable one: the storms in late December 2013 and early 2014 probably the severest run of multiple depressions I can remember.  Also quite a lot of damage reported locally from Storm Arwen last month, unusual for a north-westerly rather than south-westerly gale.  Strong SW'lies are fairly common here near the SW Wales coast, while strong winds from other directions are relatively unusual which probably had an impact.

Posted

1) 17 Nov 2016. Absolute mayhem for 10 minutes, Shawbury had a gust of 84mph and it might well have been more here as higher and more exposed. Trees down, tiles down, some had windows blown out, and 10 miles north and south hardly anything.

2) 30-31 Jan 2002 (may have been a few days either side). Big trees down, flooding and hardly remembered.

3) Mid-Feb 2014, power cuts and trees down on the roads, the height of that "winter" of endless wind and rain

4) Storm Arwen, it was up there for causing damage and had that evil sting in the tail of producing rain all over Shropshire even 200m high while it gave snow all over W Mids/Staffs/Cheshire etc

5) 20 Mar 2004. Not really forecast but it was a real blaster. All day sustained 40mph wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Windstorms of 2013/2014 as we had a barrage of strong lows that winter that were pretty strong for us in the south, besides that Burns Day storm 1990 I remember  as  the worst that I remember but I was young school child but it sticks in my memory that's for sure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
22 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Windstorms of 2013/2014 as we had a barrage of strong lows that winter that were pretty strong for us in the south, besides that Burns Day storm 1990 I remember  as  the worst that I remember but I was young school child but it sticks in my memory that's for sure

2013/2014 was the worst winter ever