Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

A bit of rain, grey skies and occasional gusts is all it was, like all Atlantic storms. No need to pretend it was exciting when it was a borefest.

Wow you're really going to town on this. What I don't get is when people appear to be actually offended by other people's weather preferences.

Personally, I like an active mobile pattern. A good low/storm often seems to see an active front go through in the SW followed by sunshine and good cloudscapes from squally heavy showers (with hail and thunder potential) that rattle through.. I love a good 'blow the cobwebs' away walk in such conditions, though maybe better if I avoid the showers. A stormy sea can be pretty good to watch too.

Although having lived in the inland SE there seemed to be less of interest from such systems, and living in Lancaster it seems to have meant 3 days of cold rain and it appearing to be getting dark by 3pm which leaves me a lot less enthused!

Anyway there's been far more weather (and snow for some) from recent conditions than the high pressure they are chasing in the MOD thread will bring.

• Like 2

Posted

Fine for people to take issue with my dislike of boring, unpleasant and nuisance weather, e.g. Atlantic storms, but not fine for me to express my dislike for it in the moans thread. Got ya!

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
10 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Fine for people to take issue with my dislike of boring, unpleasant and nuisance weather, e.g. Atlantic storms, but not fine for me to express my dislike for it in the moans thread. Got ya!

Nowhere did I say I took issue with you finding it boring, but you did take issue with me finding it exciting. Moans thread is for moaning about the weather, not the fact that I like Atlantic storms.

• Like 1

Posted
On 07/12/2021 at 12:12, MattStoke said:

Dull, grey, drizzly and breezy. No wonder people get excited over Atlantic storms. Absolutely thrilling.

Cannot for the life of me see the appeal of such weather. It's just a boring, unpleasant nuisance.

On 07/12/2021 at 13:16, MattStoke said:

Really cannot see what’s exciting about grey sky, rain and a breeze. Tedious and an absolute nuisance for outdoor plans. I can’t believe people go to the effort of chasing such storms when they could get more thrill out of staring at a brick wall.

On 07/12/2021 at 13:22, MattStoke said:

It’s like an art enthusiast getting a thrill out of watching paint dry.

The most boring type of weather there is. It’s absolute rubbish.

Thunderstorms or hurricanes I can understand. Not persistent rain, grey sky and occasional gusts.

14 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I don't care whether you do or don't dislike any type of weather, but your above posts appear to be taking issue with people who might find interest in Atlantic weather, not just the weather itself... Certainty suggests you think they are a bit odd or wierd or whatever.

Not that I'm particularly bothered, but it just surprises me a bit, that of all the things going on in the world, people apparently get offended by other people's weather preferences.. which comes across in posts which moan about other people e.g. 'I can't believe people...', rather than just moaning the weather itself.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
46 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Id be happy just to see some flakes falling, but even that is turning into an impossible task on the south coastal fringe.

Had 2 dustings already  north portsmouth admittedly  150ft asl .enough to throw snowballs on the downs last week as well.had some whole winters with nothing  and a long long way to go yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

This is the worst type of weather we're having right now. It's just freezing cold, dry and with a bit of chilling winds. I much rather prefer what we had yesterday at least it was more interesting, I couldn't last for 5 mins in this weather it's horrible. Either bring actual winter or at least some sort of storms to have a cosy day or night inside 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Andrew Ferguson said:

Had 2 dustings already  north portsmouth admittedly  150ft asl .enough to throw snowballs on the downs last week as well.had some whole winters with nothing  and a long long way to go yet

Nothing here just yet. But I am about 4m above sea level very close to the beach so it is to be expected I guess.

Posted

If we can’t have sub zero ice days along with copious amounts of snow  then please an above average temp for Dec - makes the golf so much more pleasurable 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Nothing here just yet. But I am about 4m above sea level very close to the beach so it is to be expected I guess.

Yes that makes sense well I wish you well for the rest of the winter like I say long long way to go yet Sussex in an easterly wind a good place to be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
3 hours ago, Freeze said:

Id be happy just to see some flakes falling, but even that is turning into an impossible task on the south coastal fringe.

I can't complain, had 2 snowfalls already. Sorry.....not rubbing your nose in it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
24 minutes ago, johncam said:

From now to Xmas  is over two weeks of winter which is a sixth of  winter so would hardly call it blip hopefully something better on the cards after that 

Hi John. Winter even at your northern location is never going to be three months of cold snow. 

Two weeks of mild weather in December is pretty much par for the course even in winters when Jan ,Feb or  March have delivered cold spells with snow.

You can't really look at it as a sixth of winter much better to view it as part of the ebb and flow of a UK winter. Large parts of the more elevated regions of the UK have ready seen substantial snow.  Even down here in Dorset there has been some falling snow already so we're already doing  better pre Christmas  than most years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
On 08/12/2021 at 20:37, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Hi John. Winter even at your northern location is never going to be three months of cold snow. 

Two weeks of mild weather in December is pretty much par for the course even in winters when Jan ,Feb or  March have delivered cold spells with snow.

You can't really look at it as a sixth of winter much better to view it as part of the ebb and flow of a UK winter. Large parts of the more elevated regions of the UK have ready seen substantial snow.  Even down here in Dorset there has been some falling snow already so we're already doing  better pre Christmas  than most years.

Hi Mate, thanks for the reply , yes as you say  in my 63 years I have never seen a winter that lasted the the full 12 weeks , point was 2 weeks isn't a blip and our ski resorts haven't evened opened yet , they will fee.it more than most as any snow they will soon dissappear 

Cheers

John 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
On 08/12/2021 at 20:42, johncam said:

Hi Mate, thanks for the reply , yes as you say  in my 63 years I have never seen a winter that lasted the the full 12 weeks , point was 2 weeks isn't a blip and our ski resorts haven't evened opened yet , they will fee.it more than most as any snow they will soon dissappear 

Cheers

John 

Ps.... just seen the ECM 850 temps , my I have seen lower up here in the middle of Summer !!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Premier Neige said:

I can't complain, had 2 snowfalls already. Sorry.....not rubbing your nose in it.

I rub my own nose in it by scolling through all the snowy photos from the northern threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

Orange snow warning in effect here for pretty much all of tomorrow. 15-25cm expected plus drifting.

Can't really complain!

The orange warning I’ve got tomorrow is.....I’ve got it with my breakfast  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

Orange snow warning in effect here for pretty much all of tomorrow. 15-25cm expected plus drifting.

Can't really complain!

Warnings of a ‘calamitous snow situation’ here in the Czech Republic too tomorrow, up to 25cms expected in some areas with warnings of problems to transport and energy supplies. Quite an exciting start to winter here, though it’s been very cloudy much of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 08/12/2021 at 22:23, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Ooooh look. 13c here in Dudley on Sunday according to BBC App. Think I might get the old shorts out.

If it were coming with sunshine I might actually be slightly excited... alas it’ll be dull and probably drizzly. In fact, if it’s properly wet then it may even be a tall order getting that high anyway.

Cant think of many mild or warm and sunny days in December or January over the years. Christmas Day 2002 is one (here at least) and I seem to remember a springlike weekend in January 1998 following the early stormy period, but other than that...

Posted
6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

If it were coming with sunshine I might actually be slightly excited... alas it’ll be dull and probably drizzly. In fact, if it’s properly wet then it may even be a tall order getting that high anyway.

Cant think of many mild or warm and sunny days in December or January over the years. Christmas Day 2002 is one (here at least) and I seem to remember a springlike weekend in January 1998 following the early stormy period, but other than that...

Ha. Ha. It was more of a reflection of how mild the temperature may be . The shorts comment was just a bit of humour. I am certainly not expecting to be sitting out in the garden in t shirt and shades sipping a cold lager!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 08/12/2021 at 22:56, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Ha. Ha. It was more of a reflection of how mild the temperature may be . The shorts comment was just a bit of humour. I am certainly not expecting to be sitting out in the garden in t shirt and shades sipping a cold lager!

Lol yes I’m sure. Pangs of December 2015 perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Surely we can't have the ultimate FI tease from the models? Cold and snowy for Christmas. If this doesn't come off  you'll have to start wondering what past sins we have done to be treated this way

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, MattStoke said:

I’m with you here.

This current weather has been fairly dreary and tedious, but at least it’s cold and feels seasonal. 

However, my in-laws send us lovely pictures of snow covered fields where they are in Latvia, with blue skies and -13 on some days, with -20 or lower after dark.

Plus 7-8c in damp conditions actually feel colder than minus weather. Dry cold doesn’t make you feel so cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Surely we can't have the ultimate FI tease from the models? Cold and snowy for Christmas. If this doesn't come off  you'll have to start wondering what past sins we have done to be treated this way

2021 has been the ultimate in teasing. A dumping of snow started the year off on a good note, and the chilly sunny April felt like a carbon copy of 2020, but a colder version.

The year went downhill in May, which is usually the time of the year I look forward to. Cold damp May, with a few hot days at the end, June gave us the best 2 weeks of the summer, with some hot sunny days.

After that it was several weeks of dull weather, with one hot week in the middle of July, and after that, possibly one of the worst Augusts in living memory.

• Like 1

Posted
On 09/12/2021 at 06:50, Sunny76 said:

I’m with you here.

This current weather has been fairly dreary and tedious, but at least it’s cold and feels seasonal. 

However, my in-laws send us lovely pictures of snow covered fields where they are in Latvia, with blue skies and -13 on some days, with -20 or lower after dark.

Plus 7-8c in damp conditions actually feel colder than minus weather. Dry cold doesn’t make you feel so cold. 

Yeah. That’s another reason I can’t stand this weather. Temperatures close to or even below freezing but with light winds, brightness and even snow cover feels more pleasant than wind and rain with temperatures far higher. It’s horrible being outside in these conditions, and I do a lot of outdoor activities (running, hiking, walking to and from work). Wind and rain makes those outdoor activities that I normally enjoy feel like a chore. Also, the high humidity accompanying mild winter conditions means I end up sweaty, but I can’t take my coat off or I’ll get soaked by the rain and end up freezing. 

It’s amazing how such conditions can be so boring and yet so annoying.

Edited by MattStoke