Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

March on average snowier than December and on numerous occasions colder. I always take any snow pre Christmas as a bonus. Most likely time for snow mid Jan to early March on average.

Sustained cold in December is hard to come by margins for it being pushed aside far higher than Jan to April.

Yet March also has a much higher chance of seriously warm weather than December. You won't get 20C in December, let alone temps pushing 25 (as has happened in March on a few occasions).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Feb warmer than Dec! 20 degrees can be reached in Feb, 27th this year was like Spring on quarantine walk/exercise

Posted

I think today definitely counts as a snow day. Got 20-25cm and it's still going, although it's not as intense as earlier. :cold-emoji:

This afternoon:

IMG_20211209_121915.thumb.jpg.6330b71f6968a31ad3d457e0e60e4b2f.jpg

IMG_20211209_122519.thumb.jpg.242038834028ffeb330a6c590800d107.jpg

IMG_20211209_122939.thumb.jpg.108f24c672dc2a52f9a00f1b33d8ec72.jpg

IMG_20211209_123930.thumb.jpg.82742136a5acd8b8ce83d7908b892857.jpg

IMG_20211209_145811.thumb.jpg.f2ef86465aa0d238a976cfc02926ac0b.jpg

IMG_20211209_151245.thumb.jpg.c8355b8bf93fbb8bf71e7b7aa2cc38b3.jpg

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 09/12/2021 at 21:31, Summer8906 said:

Yet March also has a much higher chance of seriously warm weather than December. You won't get 20C in December, let alone temps pushing 25 (as has happened in March on a few occasions).

With the odd exception, the best December snowfalls here have been marginal affairs and often thanks to sliders. Northerlies are just getting going in December and don’t really pack a punch until the solstice, hence so many after Christmas over the years.

March conversely often has better dew points and SSTs are much lower, but the synoptics have to be that much better to deliver. 

So January and February are my best months in terms of when I most wish for and expect snow. 

Much prefer the chance of 20 degrees by March but oftentimes the Atlantic rears its head again so takes until later in the month to reach it.

Posted
On 10/12/2021 at 06:45, Sceptical said:

I'd happily take average/cold and settled conditions in the era of modern UK winters. Anything else is a bonus.

Would you? day after day of cool anticyclonic grey muck is just about the worst weather type I can think of. Far rather have some storms and blue sky in between , at least it’s interesting . This time of year mid latitude HP which sticks around like a limpet just takes weeks out of any potential setup conducive to snow

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, JoeShmoe said:

Would you? day after day of cool anticyclonic grey muck is just about the worst weather type I can think of. Far rather have some storms and blue sky in between , at least it’s interesting . This time of year mid latitude HP which sticks around like a limpet just takes weeks out of any potential setup conducive to snow

Average December temperatures for my area are around 4°C, that would suit me just fine  

There was so much snowfall up these parts last winter, hillwalking was on hold for weeks. 

20210209_112306.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

First sunny day here in Lord knows how long. Lovely to see the ☀️ at last. It has meant temperatures have risen to 3°C currently, which is slowly thawing the snow cover. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

It's certainly a very persistent high according to the GFS, so after tomorrow, there won't be any serious rain for a while I guess.

However, the problem is the high starts as a Tm-laden southwesterly high, before migrating northwards. Hence the risk of a lot of cloud cover trapped in the high. Such a pattern occurred at the end of Dec 2018 and Dec 2019; the former became brighter on New Years' Day with the passage of a cold front while the latter never cleared up before the return to unsettled on New Years Day.

That said, the GFS charts do not show cold fronts so hard to know if the airmass will change. If we can get a cold front coming into the high and introducing clearer air from a more northerly point, I suspect the sun will come out.

Difficult to know at this stage what it will eventually evolve into, will we get an Atlantic breakdown in a couple of weeks or the introduction of an easterly?

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

What the hell today? was meant to be dry/sunny, wettest day for a few weeks, much worse than so called named storm on tues

It's also more like autumn than winter

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

What the hell today? was meant to be dry/sunny, wettest day for a few weeks, much worse than so called named storm on tues

It's also more like autumn than winter

Weird. Im just down the road from you in Dudley and it has been dry and sunny all day. Bit on the chilly side but not bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Dreadful outlook under high pressure again... overcast, perhaps drizzly at times. It looks that way for quite some time.

• Like 4

Posted

Aye, could be a very dull spell coming up, very little frost too, dark so early under grey skies

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
On 10/12/2021 at 19:55, Mapantz said:

Dreadful outlook under high pressure again... overcast, perhaps drizzly at times. It looks that way for quite some time.

As you say couldn't get any worse , non weather it is ,yuk 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A cloudy high in winter is certainly depressing (though giving ‘usable weather’). Had weeks of that here before the snow arrived this week. A nice, cold, sunny high is totally different, very enjoyable with crisp winter sunshine by day and fog and frost by night. Very seasonal ?? 

• Like 3

Looks like the HP induced cold weather is reserved for Eastern Europe. Maybe squeeze in one last northerly before the Atlantic kicks in again. So a dry mild Christmas period followed by a wet January. The pattern will likely repeat again. Looks like it's an Eastern Europe affair in respect to cold weather this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
45 minutes ago, DCee said:

Looks like the HP induced cold weather is reserved for Eastern Europe. Maybe squeeze in one last northerly before the Atlantic kicks in again. So a dry mild Christmas period followed by a wet January. The pattern will likely repeat again. Looks like it's an Eastern Europe affair in respect to cold weather this winter.

Who needs models  

Posted
1 hour ago, RJBingham said:

just stuck me head out the front door. mildest it's felt for ages, lovely.

maybe so, but dreading Monday's washout for my area, no point in warm if wet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Only got to wait until the 15th/16th for some more seasonable weather down here so not too phased about this yucky mild spell coming up. Bring on chilly anticylonic weather, boo mild. 

• Like 1