Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Quiet here as well but expected due to the wind direction. Should stay that way until the winds swing more to the west but by then the worst will be over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Wind has dropped considerably to almost nothing since the squall line went through around 4pm. 

Certainly wouldn't think a windstorm had rolled through a few hours ago!

I assume the winds will be increasing in the coming hours, to coincide with the rash of showers forecast?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

We have some unexpected thunder and lightning here along with torrential hail from the showers 

• Like 3

Posted

Bit rough in iom today…. remember it a lot worse than that when I lived there in 1990s 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

As everyone else has said its pretty obvious this was a bit less stronger then forecast as i only managed to get a few 40mph gusts up the hill last night and mostly just gusts in the 30's. We were supposed to get gusts of at least 50mph if not higher.

The storms suppose to be filling and getting weaker today but I would say that the winds are just as gusty now as they were last night at the moment.

I did see some flashes last night as I was out though so somewhere must of had some lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well at least for my area in Devon storm barra was not anything noteworthy, gusts into the high 40's i should imagine, quite rainy, felt storm arwen a little more to be honest

Posted

Traffic reports suggest the focus of the wind is now in Wales, with the earlier closure of the Severn Bridge, cancellation of ferries and delays on the rails in S, C and N Wales. Here the problem is more of heavy rain which fell overnight and is still falling in some parts of the region. Hopefully, as Barra moves away and fills, the weather will improve. My barometer is starting to rise from a low below 970. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Forgot to mention that it looks like we had a gust of 39.4mph on the 6ft high weather station in the garden last night at 2:35AM which is the highest gust the station has ever recorded since we put it up in early 2020. 

That means there must have been gusts of at least 40-50mph up the hill in the early hours so the yellow warning was justified but just for a more smaller section of the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Personally I don't think yellow warnings should be in effect unless gusts of 50mph + are expected and clearly most parts in England didn't get that. I think they're becoming more cautious/warning happy this year...

Posted

Interestingly, there was a piece on the NW news last night which suggested that it was not so much the wind speed which was the problem as the direction of the wind. With Storm Arwen, the highest wind speeds / gusts unusually came from a North or NE direction, which trees in the NW of England were unable to cope with so well as they would for a Westerly gale, so consequently toppled over in large numbers, leading to the very serious problems with the power supply in many areas. With Storm Barra, it was more of a W or SW wind, hence considerably fewer problems in the Region outside of the Isle of Man.