Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Christmas approaches

Paul
Message added by Paul,

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

Posted
5 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

I can see it going further south yet tbh could end up a channel low & we draw in streamers off north sea instead.

its certainly heading in the direction we discussed a couple of days ago! 

itd funny to see the mood go up and down on indiviual runs!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Ah, yes. The Avatar of Dorian Grey?!

Are you saying for every sin I commit the image in my photo becomes more and more horrid Pete! At least you said Dorain grey..and not 50 shades of.....

Some cracking ensembles from the 6z...only gonna post a few...but wow you've got to say the vortex looks along way from home and out of sorts big time.

It's just splendid to see such and encouraging Northern Hemisphere at this time of the year...surely to god this is one of those winters that should deliver in a bigger way than normal.

Know dramas for the 12s folks get ya shopping done and keep ya missus happy...ya don't want an Xmas of moaning  

gensnh-0-1-276.png

gensnh-0-0-264.png

gensnh-2-1-288.png

gensnh-4-1-192.png

gensnh-4-1-324.png

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

its certainly heading in the direction we discussed a couple of days ago! 

itd funny to see the mood go up and down on indiviual runs!

I can see fluctuations in latitude on runs within a day period whilst each day overall trends south.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

We're still far from 100% imo, still 70% ish..

im asking for 2 things cold bought forward a bit,and that southwards correction.on the 6z i mentioned about the lows merging around northern ireland scotland,ideally we want them combining to the south of the country towards france a quicker route to the cold and far cleaner.a big ask i know

Posted

Although it wouldn’t really mean a great deal, it would be nice to see Ukmo day 4/5 strengthen the ridge ahead of the trough and therefore disrupt it somewhat days 5/6 (and to absorb that shortwave into the scandi trough) 

would be a decent day to have all the ops on the same page for wed through Friday at least. (Assuming that’s good for a widespread white Xmas !) 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

ECM snow depth charts whilst over egged don't look too bad for midnight on Boxing Day & the following day. A lot of focus on the big day, when in reality many will be travelling to families and with kids off school any hit after Christmas Day will be enjoyed just the same once they're bored of raft of toys

Screenshot_20211218-135656_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211218-135800_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211218-135850_Chrome.jpg

Posted

A nice 06z operational to look showing a prolonged cold spell pretty much nationwide from the 27th.

This could be brought forward a bit if the low slides a bit more. On the flip side still nearly half of the ensembles do not make anything of the cold spell at all. 

Starting with today's 12Z suite we are in for 48 hours of a rollercoaster. I would expect the pattern to resolved by Monday, with any individual features to firm up later in the week. 

So - where's your money?

I would go: -

25% decent (4 days plus) cold spell with most or all of uk included.

40% some sort of regional event with perhaps the south missing out

35% diddly squat.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yes, but I would like to see more concrete research on the causal relationship between hadley cell expansion and uk winter synoptics such as the rate of failed initiation of cold with varying intensities of Hadley cell.

You'd be able to collate data on number of cold episodes. Our gut would tell us the expanded Hadley cell has been a strong factor. However, a 'failed initiation' from what point in time and from what kind of starting point? The various models are simply calculating from a starting point of right now and forecasting out to a future event which hasn't yet occurred, so what has initiated? Also, models have received numerous upgrades (usually but perhaps not always improvements

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick B said:

You'd be able to collate data on number of cold episodes. Our gut would tell us the expanded Hadley cell has been a strong factor. However, a 'failed initiation' from what point in time and from what kind of starting point? The various models are simply calculating from a starting point of right now and forecasting out to a future event which hasn't yet occurred, so what has initiated? Also, models have received numerous upgrades (usually but perhaps not always improvements) so we don't have a constant tool against which to measure the variance of outcomes over time. Could be problematic from that point of view.

Posted
1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

A nice 06z operational to look showing a prolonged cold spell pretty much nationwide from the 27th.

This could be brought forward a bit if the low slides a bit more. On the flip side still nearly half of the ensembles do not make anything of the cold spell at all. 

Starting with today's 12Z suite we are in for 48 hours of a rollercoaster. I would expect the pattern to resolved by Monday, with any individual features to firm up later in the week. 

So - where's your money?

I would go: -

25% decent (4 days plus) cold spell with most or all of uk included.

40% some sort of regional event with perhaps the south missing out

35% diddly squat.

A fair assessment in my view. For us I reckon its nothing but rain and watching reports from elsewhere of snow falling. Recent years have not been good to us in the SE as Kent and Essex in particular have missed out on almost every occasion. I think its a case of assume the worst and be happy if it works out better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

The government is fully behind the GFS 06 hrs run as it could stop households mixing ! Snow induced lockdown !

Yes, nationwide ice-olation. LOL

• Like 8

Posted

Early at T60 but the block is better and more rounded - Atlantic delayed too - should aid the slider 

61AFBDE9-E437-488C-900A-9927E262FBC3.png

D6FC13A1-2915-4307-8D7F-8D0F0E0DBE2C.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

slight shift north at 90 on ICON

It’s not north, it’s just coming in slower I think 

Posted

With the main 12z's about to roll, I'm going to lock this one to start a fresh thread (and slightly changed thread layout). The new one is here:

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1