Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Discussion - A Sensible Scottish Perspective

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

This is a great idea @Ravelin

The 12z GFS still looking decent for Christmas Day for many of us, hopefully the ECM shows the same later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The GFS is getting pelters in the main thread, after being the hero for a bit. When you see the 850 plots going from something like this... 

graphe3_10000___2.7397_57.265_.gif

To this, in the space of 12hrs... 

Then you know something is awry. Not only has the mean increased quite noticeably, but the spread has increased too, and therefore the uncertainty. Normally you'd expect the spread to decrease as the actual weather got closer, but look how on the 23rd its increased massively. In the end there can only be one correct solution, just which one it is though is anyone's guess. 

• Like 6

Posted

The ECM 12z... 

ECH1-144.GIF?19-0 ECM0-144.GIF?19-0

More similar to GFS/Gem than UKMO? Certainly is in terms of 850 temps, but unusual for UKMO to be wrong at t144? 

By the way, feel free to have a go at posting, this isn't intended to be my personal thread, and it won't be of much use if it becomes that. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

GFS wind chill for the bid day  

Screenshot_20211219-184947.thumb.png.7a5da2d261862783c716a427a41ed49d.png

Plenty snow in that cool air flow, ground temps will be good for it settling also.  Even eastern coasts will see snaw from the 12z GFS run. Great stuff!

JMA not too shabby either

Screenshot_20211219-185004.thumb.png.316a4abccd07298371ce65aed8e34c6a.png

ECMWF upper temps more than good enough for snaw all over as well. All trending in the right direction for us North of the border.  

Screenshot_20211219-185223.png

Screenshot_20211219-185152.png

Edited by ghoneym
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Yes ECM is fine for Christmas Day

0B5EFD5D-8ED6-4C4C-94D2-2DAD276F25C6.thumb.png.a7480e8a1d8ca10f91a8b93f667c14aa.png
E68EAAC8-7AC8-4778-B4C2-967B8704B876.thumb.png.e93b22afc15693836e720e9560b55256.png

It’s great to see the chance of a white Christmas is there. At least the models are not showing the usual south westerlies. Exciting few days of model watching for us over the next few days

Hopefully the UKMO is wrong and the GFS, GEM and ECM are correct.

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, CameronWS said:

Do you think snowfall would likely be to sea level, say based upon the latest ECM?

To sea level, with 850 temps of - 7/8C then probably, if we are lucky enough to have some decent precipitation. Coastal falling or lying snow however can be much more of a problem due to the local modifying effect of the sea. 

25th looks touch and go for many away from the N & E... 

ECU0-144.GIF?19-0

The 28th looks more promising 850s wise... 

ECU0-216.GIF?19-0

But 850s aren't the only thing needed. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 9

Posted

Looking ahead, the long-term outlook is quite bleak. Models are now consistently showing high pressure pushing in from Spain, apart from the odd member here and there. So the potential cold and snow over Christmas could be very short-lived. 

For the Christmas period, there is still a chance for many of us to see snow here in Scotland. As often happens, it is looking quite marginal at the moment: I’m still hopeful that we might see a slight south shift in the next model updates. It really wouldn’t take a lot to get all us all back in the game here in Scotland (eastern coastal areas included). 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Looking ahead, the long-term outlook is quite bleak. Models are now consistently showing high pressure pushing in from Spain, apart from the odd member here and there. So the potential cold and snow over Christmas could be very short-lived. 

For the Christmas period, there is still a chance for many of us to see snow here in Scotland. As often happens, it is looking quite marginal at the moment: I’m still hopeful that we might see a slight south shift in the next model updates. It really wouldn’t take a lot to get all us all back in the game here in Scotland (eastern coastal areas included). 

I did notice it’s a bit more marginal looking south of the central belt on the latest charts on the big day. It is always quite common for a southward shift in the models as we get nearer the timeframe   

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at the GFS 12Z 850 ensembles for my location, which will be much more favourable than most, is still interesting... 

Slightly less scatter than there was on the earlier runs but still a lot more than yesterday, and still starting relatively early. What I often find more useful though is the box plot version... 

graphe3_10001___2.7397_57.265_.gif

The first obvious observation is that the OP is an outlier, in the true sense rather than how 'outlier' is often used on the MOD thread, from around the 30th onwards. Secondly, look closely at the lower 10-50% quantiles and out to the end of the 31st they are much more tightly grouped than the upper 10-50% quantile. That's indicative that there's much more grouping going on in the colder ensembles than for the warmer ones. Hopefully that means a greater chance of the cold options winning, but then again the 'outlier' OP could be the winner, such are the vagaries of the weather. 

• Like 6

Posted

Sod the models, I’ve got a more accurate way of working out if it’ll be a white Christmas.

I’ve had four white christmases whenever I’ve visited family in Scotland and the year has been an odd number.

I’m coming up this year...just saying ❄️❄️❄️

• Like 6

Posted

Trying to get my head around all these charts, I’ll get there eventually.

To be honest, in my 50+ years, I’ve experienced many more damp Christmases than white ones but white New Years? Now that’s a different story and one I’ll be keenly following once we get through this week.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

Trying to get my head around all these charts, I’ll get there eventually.

To be honest, in my 50+ years, I’ve experienced many more damp Christmases than white ones but white New Years? Now that’s a different story and one I’ll be keenly following once we get through this week.

50+ too and anecdotally I'd say the same. The extra week seems to make quite a difference. I'd be quite happy if the @Coopsyeffect is works again this year. 

• Like 3

Posted

GFS 18z rolling out and here's Xmas day... 

gfsnh-0-138.png?18 gfs-1-138.png?18 138-780UK.GIF?19-18

Overall profile a bit different from its 12Z, cold is further south at the same time, but snow accumulation not as extensive or deep for us. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
4 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

GFS 18z rolling out and here's Xmas day... 

gfsnh-0-138.png?18 gfs-1-138.png?18 138-780UK.GIF?19-18

Overall profile a bit different from its 12Z, cold is further south at the same time, but snow accumulation not as extensive or deep for us. 

A run for the bin Rav it's ok tho because it's the 'pub run' and there's no 'balloon data' and it's not showing what I want so I'm going to dismiss it like a Mod thread maniac

• Like 3

Posted

It appears like mist in the MOD thread have given up on Xmas day snow as all of the models are suggesting the cold air from the E will struggle to get here. Still possible for parts of Scotland but certainly looking more uncertain. The 850s for NE Scotland illustrate this... 

Although the OP for 24-26th is still good, the spread has increased again, with only 27-29th really looking to have any consistency. Heading in to the new Year the spread would suggest just about any outcome is on the table. 

Still time for things to swing back? 

Edit:

GFS snow depths charts, always to be taken with a pinch of salts... 

132-780UK.GIF?20-0

Looking better by 28th...

210-780UK.GIF?20-0

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Brilliant idea to have this thread.. i will still pop into the wrist slashing thread just for a bit of fun and just to check what the rest of the uk is getting weather wise.. and maybe when we have snaw i might be tempted to post a picture or 2..

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Brilliant idea to have this thread.. i will still pop into the wrist slashing thread just for a bit of fun and just to check what the rest of the uk is getting weather wise.. and maybe when we have snaw i might be tempted to post a picture or 2..

Dont go into the madhouse now..the bickering has all kicked off

• Like 1

Posted

Well the GFS 6Z hasn't clarified anything, sticking to a cooler Xmas outlook than the earlier UKMO/ECM runs. 

The 850s for Aberdeenshire have taken a tick down on Xmas day, pity the main precipitation comes 2 days earlier when it'll more likely be cold rain. 

• Thanks 1