Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
2 hours ago, MAF said:

Wish this yo yo weather would make its mind up. Yesterday was glove, hat and scarf; today it's more like spring in comparison. 

Agreed , one or the other would be fine with me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Got to get this out my system, I am so bloody peeved off after all that model chasing and literally telling myself this superb cold ,snow potential spell is in the bag, and then the s"*t hits the fan on the last couple off days, I know, I know ! it could change to the cold theme again very soon but that was soul destroying..

There said it, rant over (Merry Mediterranean Temp Wise Xmas All)   

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
16 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Got to get this out my system, I am so bloody peeved off after all that model chasing and literally telling myself this superb cold ,snow potential spell is in the bag, and then the s"*t hits the fan on the last couple off days, I know, I know ! it could change to the cold theme again very soon but that was soul destroying..

There said it, rant over (Merry Mediterranean Temp Wise Xmas All)   

Spot on, in my opinion, the models are a complete waste of time, effort and money. You can have 99.99% of runs showing the next narnia, but that 0.1%, showing mild, always wins. But I'll still get reeled in on the next chase, and no doubt, be swearing and cursing when it goes belly up. Why is it so bloody difficult to have a winter nowadays, the climate has changed, whether it's global warming, or just a natural phase, remains to be seen. Onto the next chase. Merry Christmas all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Temps no lower than around 8-9c for the foreseeable here, drat. 

Posted

So I am an expert in Meteorology,  and have 55 1/2 years of knowing the weather. My knowledge is based on just one thing. Look out the window and see what it's like

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Final Christmas update and I am going to keep this short.

UKMO/FAX

image.thumb.png.2a312d9e33382d969af75585a8846315.png   image.thumb.png.fd651ff87fc7458ef93bc2ed8f62cdbf.png   

As you can see the models are tended to drag the 0C isotherm as little further south and west, as such there is a higher confidence of temperatures being on the rather cold side (Though it could still be mild in the far south).

image.thumb.png.cedcab2e856519280bbe88d3f47fa69b.png

We will start the day with a complex series of fronts over the region, these will be dying out readily, so becoming dry by lunchtime. If the precipitation holds on a little longer, there is a chance of it turning a little wintry. So give a white Christmas only requires a flake of falling snow, then there is a chance still. Most favoured for our region would probably be the western side of Cambridgeshire/Northamptonshire.

image.thumb.png.8c6c6451dc9947f4824d7b9021696152.png

During the afternoon another frontal system will arrive from the south west and push through the region overnight. Again the outside chance of a little wintriness on the leading edge.

As for temperatures:

image.thumb.png.a1713902f69d1fa881513bf36645d9a7.png

Ranging from 3C in the north of the region, to 7/8C south of London.

Overall the chances are that we will experience a rather dull Christmas day with rain early and late, however given the temperatures in the north of the region, there is still the outside chance of a little sleet or flake of snow. Wherever you are, that post-Christmas dinner walk will be a little on the bracing side with that south easterly wind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Anyone else been watching Winter Watch 1963: The Big Freeze on BBC Four? Fascinating. Another era. We're unlikely to see such an event happen again in our lifetimes, we wouldn't cope anyway with such a prolonged cold and snowy spell now. Not that it could happen with global warming. I'm pining for snow now, lol.

• Like 3

Posted

Last commute in for a while , 5c a bit of fog and nothing else to report!

Have a great and safe Christmas all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I don't think the Ashes will cheer me up abou the weather when it's on on Boxing day either, onto chasing a SSW now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well, i think the lack of posts sums up really every ones downbeat utter frustrations, I feel your pain it is Christmas and we have all everything ready but feel something is missing which is our little bit of Christmas wintry weather, cold, frosty and just some little white flakes, This is what makes our Christmas's all complete and real spirit lifter, Not to be this one folks I am afraid, Still I guess at the end of the day we have to make the best of what we have, So I am renting a log cabin on an ice rink with snow covered tree's and a snow machine lol. !!!

Not really, It's xmas eve folks and for what it's worth life has taught me life is very short and enjoy what we have, I would like to wish you in all in my regional S/E a very merry Christmas and to your family, enjoy, have a laugh what ever the weather, it is still December and I am sure we will get our shot at Winter very soon, Snow Day of Work " Yez Pleeez", Take Care and Seasonals :santa-emoji:

Merry Christmas GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Re above post …..says it all really…I definitely thought we may have least at long last had a festive feel this year…Now from Tuesday onwards spring like warmth…Weather Quest have even said this morning if the sun comes out long enough Tuesday-Thursday that a 15 or a cheeky 16c may not be out of the question somewhere in the East Anglian region.

The model forum do sometimes forget about climate change and unfortunately this will be the new normal…they really need to get their head round it and not keep chasing cold for weeks on end…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 hour ago, slater said:

The model forum do sometimes forget about climate change and unfortunately this will be the new normal…they really need to get their head round it and not keep chasing cold for weeks on end…

That's not necessarily true, it doesn't have to mean the end for Winter just yet but it does mean we're now chasing a Greenland high or a high living northeast over us to being any chance of an easterly for example 2010 and 2018, either that or a SSW such as earlier this year, this doesn't spell the end of Winter just yet after all it snowed in April this year.

Climate Change does seem to have messed with the energy within parcels of air as well but that might just be me.

Also a reminder for everyon to remember Covid is still around as my friend tested positive and cannot have the Christmas her and her family wanted, this Christmas has seemed very stressful especially because of Covid for example my friend he's been really stressed recently so you're not alone if you're stressed or don't feel yourself.

That's all from me for now.

Posted
5 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I guess Stav Danaos will get to say 'at least it will be mild', after all!

check out 'mike and bernie winters' it reminds me everytime i see Stav

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Well you can tell the weather is rubbish and mild when you go out and come back with black slugs on your shoe. Merry slugmas everybody.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

May I wish everyone in our friendly Regional a very Happy Christmas. :santa-emoji::reindeer-emoji::ball-santa-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

May I wish everyone in our friendly Regional a very Happy Christmas. :santa-emoji::reindeer-emoji::ball-santa-emoji:

And to you.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Pouring and 9.0c - 22.3mm of rain since about 4pm. Exactly the weather I hate for Christmas

Anyway, enough gloom - Happy Christmas to you all! Here’s to a happy and healthy new year with all the snow (and sunshine in the summer) we could wish for ☃️

Posted
On 23/12/2021 at 17:22, MAF said:

So I am an expert in Meteorology,  and have 55 1/2 years of knowing the weather. My knowledge is based on just one thing. Look out the window and see what it's like

and if you cant see over the hill ..don't trust what they say it will do ..if you cant see sum mit ..low cloud ..always know the height of nearest hill then your laughing ..fathom much info from that ..happy christmas ya all

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Down in Essex for Christmas Day and has been raining all day so far.