Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
47 minutes ago, snowray said:

Think it was a squall line, came through here too, was also very windy for a while.

Yes, looked on radar after I posted, it was.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

How can it have been a squall line unless there were thunderstorms? I thought the definition of a squall line was a line of storms? There was no lightning last night.

Posted
1 hour ago, Snow tyre said:

How can it have been a squall line unless there were thunderstorms? I thought the definition of a squall line was a line of storms? There was no lightning last night.

A squall line may indeed have thunder and lightning. This discussion of Storm Ciara from the Royal Meteorological Society covers the complexities pretty well (just an excerpt, they give a lot more detail!):

"With 179.8 mm of rain reported in Cumbria and a gust of 97 mph recorded at the Needles on the Isle of Wight, Ciara was a force to be reckoned with. However, some of the most destructive weather was delivered by squall lines; violent bursts of weather that not only bring strong winds and torrential rain but also have the potential to bring hail, thunder and sometimes even tornadoes.

A squall line is easily recognisable on a radar image as a line of very intense rain. They can be more than 100 km long and keep their structure for several hours as they sweep the landscape."

Ciara_radar1.png
WWW.RMETS.ORG

With two deaths, serious flooding and tens of thousands of homes losing power, Storm Ciara has hit the UK hard.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yesterday evening was a small line of intense rain and wind that ran along the SE coast and inland areas, It started from around Brighton, moving eastwards.

The radar showed this most clearly (bright red colours) in a line running NE and just east of Hastings and Tenterden around 9.30/10pm, no thunder or lightning was reported as far as I am aware.

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted

loud crack of thunder 10 mins ago here in SE london. Hefty showers on/off this morning. 

and typical of my luck, eye op yesterday, and i wake up today with what is probably the start of hayfever for the season for me. worst part is it affects my eyes terribly. i even have prescription stuff for it. but after the eye op, i can't rub my eye or even use a tissue to wipe it 😞

Still, the sunglasses are working 😄😎

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Well this was a lovely sight this morning, the hairy Angus have produced some  little coo’s - bright and breezy here 🤗

Could contain: Countryside, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Pasture, Rural, Grassland, Grazing, Ranch, Cow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Sunny day here but quite windy, currently 12c, can see the shower clouds to the north rushing by.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Snowangel-MK said:

Well this was a lovely sight this morning, the hairy Angus have produced some  little coo’s - bright and breezy here 🤗

Could contain: Countryside, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Pasture, Rural, Grassland, Grazing, Ranch, Cow

Mmmm, horseradish or peppercorn sauce  😮 😄 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well just look at that line of showers extending up from Truro to London..

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Person, Text, Atlas, Diagram

...dont see that all that often...

Posted
33 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well just look at that line of showers extending up from Truro to London..

...dont see that all that often...

yep, if it was deepest winter and the showers were east to west we would be in a snowfest here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
6 hours ago, Snow tyre said:

Squall lines can also be from wind shear/ fronts. As others have said, a narrow intense band of rain where winds veer sharply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Snow tyre said:

It's a small line of heavy rain, usaully on a cold front, sometimes thundery, always brings strong winds with it regardless, the strange thing about last night's was, it was on an occluded front.

Posted
12 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's a small line of heavy rain, usaully on a cold front, sometimes thundery, always brings strong winds with it regardless, the strange thing about last night's was, it was on an occluded front.

I endorse what others have said about squall lines. Just to add that thunder-free ones are not that unusual even if they give violent weather in other respects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hailstones bouncing around all over the place from this lot.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Started off sunny and windy, clouded over during the afternoon with a couple of light rain showers, currently 11c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I was going to moan about the wind, I was on an old airfield this morning though but then I saw this and getting a bit blown around seems insignificant:

skynews-hurricane-mississippi_6100083.jp
NEWS.SKY.COM

Severe storms hit southern US states on Friday, producing hail the size of golf balls and causing fatal injuries.

Thoughts are with those affected 😞

• Like 2

Posted

I'm in Canterbury so lucky, hubby just phoned big power cut, Dover deal, due to an underground cable fault, apparently. should be back by 12, we'll see.

Posted

All ok over here in Folkestone too Alexis! 

Plenty of rain though, 11.7mm since midnight and temp down to 6.7c this morning

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, lottiekent said:

All ok over here in Folkestone too Alexis! 

Plenty of rain though, 11.7mm since midnight and temp down to 6.7c this morning

It was maga heavy this morning that rain. Around five six o'clock 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
16 hours ago, Snowangel-MK said:

I was going to moan about the wind, I was on an old airfield this morning though but then I saw this and getting a bit blown around seems insignificant:

NEWS.SKY.COM

Severe storms hit southern US states on Friday, producing hail the size of golf balls and causing fatal injuries.

I'm glad we only get bin and roof tile destroyers here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
22 hours ago, Snowangel-MK said:

NEWS.SKY.COM

Covered all of it. One of the most heartbreaking scenes I've seen live and there was just nothing left once the sun came up as well.

Meanwhile, over here, got a timelapse of a whales mouth like cloud here.