Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The abundance of flowers on the Common Hawthorne this year (May blossom) really is quite a show, I’ve never seen so much of it round here. The general story goes that once you see it out its flowers in full - you can take off the Winter clothes hence the saying “n'er cast a clout till May is out”

Much as I would like to believe the folklore and take the huge display of blossom this year on many fruiting trees and shrubs as a sign of a cold and snowy winter to come science says it is due to 'vernalisation': a process where cold weather promotes the formation of fruiting buds. We had an extra-cold period in December, with temperatures as low as -15°C and continuous low temperatures for a fortnight. Ideal for fruit vernalisation, so the trees have flowered well this Spring. 

Could contain: Art, Collage, Flower, Plant, Vegetation, Petal, Cherry Blossom

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Shockingly cold wind in London for what is basically June. Wearing a jacket and still feeling super chilly. Many people out and about still in puffer jackets and winter coats. 

Never seen the like of it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

That temperature certainly dropped once the cloud rolled in around 5 o clock. Feel sorry for those further north and east stuck under it all day. Otherwise it’s been another pleasant in the sun kind of day here.

The weather outlook is looking decidedly boring - average temperatures at best and just variable amounts of cloud. Nice enough but a bit of a snooze fest and could really do with some rain now - both waterbutts in the garden already empty. The anticipated warmer and wetter plume type pattern seems to get pushed further into June. 

Posted

Still not hit 20c here yet this year. Day after day of the breeze from the north round to east has kept the temp lower than usual.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Was nice here sunny all day until about 6 o'clock then clouded over, reached 18c, but that breeze was quite strong today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

A bit of very fine light drizzle as I passed through the Medway Towns 5 minutes ago, nothing was showing on the radar though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Shockingly cold wind in London for what is basically June. Wearing a jacket and still feeling super chilly. Many people out and about still in puffer jackets and winter coats. 

Never seen the like of it. 

It's actually rained lightly this evening here, this cloud must be a weak front.

6 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

A bit of very fine light drizzle as I passed through the Medway Towns 5 minutes ago, nothing was showing on the radar though.

Yep we had that here this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

Most plants are heliotropic; that is to say that they grow towards the light. This is a problem for indoor plants, especially seedlings being brought on, and the pots have to be rotated regularly to stop them growing at an angle. This year is the first time I have ever seen outdoor pot seedlings having to be rotated because they are being BLOWN to the south west by this constant, gusty and cold nor-easter. Some are even showing evidence of leaf damage.

• Like 1

Posted

Give me a southerly breeze please this is absolute murder. Played tennis yesterday with LG and she was frozen. Missing hot sunny days with no breeze. We get this crud 9 months of the year 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Heartily sick of this weather.

Walking the dogs last thing in a fleece, fingerless mittens and a woolly hat? Utterly ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
7 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

We get this crud 9 months of the year 

I said this on the forum before in other threads - that Britain can very well get the same weather in June as it does in November or December (outside of daylight hours of course) and was told I'm exaggerating.

But nope. Here we are. 15c and completely overcast yesterday, looks to be similar today, and it's nearly the summer solstice. 15c is a mild December day.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite surprised to find wet ground here this morning. The strong breeze of the last few days has made a lot of seedlings unhappy at my allotment and I lost 2 sunflowers. Meh Weather not Net Weather.

Posted
35 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There was light rain here overnight, was on and off for a couple hours, it wasn't forecast anywhere

Same here, ground quite damp this morning. Strange. 🤔 

Posted
50 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There was light rain here overnight, was on and off for a couple hours, it wasn't forecast anywhere

My window was soaking wet when I opened it this morning, definitely a good hour or 2 of rain - but of course nothing mentioned on the forecasts about it at all.

Posted
9 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Cold out, is it Smarch or almost June.

Hard to say other than looking at a calendar. Put it this way, I wish I hadn't swapped over to my summer duvet at the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
47 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

My window was soaking wet when I opened it this morning, definitely a good hour or 2 of rain - but of course nothing mentioned on the forecasts about it at all.

Maybe they are hoping nobody noticed🤦‍♂️

Posted
41 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

It's hard not to notice how inaccurate they've been with predictions this Spring. I've given up looking at them as any sort of indication tbh. 

Nearly every day they've said the cloud will burn off and the temperature will be X, it has been wildly wrong every time lol.

• Like 1

Posted

light rain in SE london this morning, still grey and cloudy over Westminster now.

the wind has been more nagging than a nagging wife having a nag and doesn't seem to have abated today.  

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Blue skies but breezy here, 17c

Posted

This breeze is rather annoying, have to keep the green house door shut otherwise it will ruin all my plants. Can’t believe I am sitting out in sun on a clear nearly June day and can feel no heat because of the breeze. Really hope we get some warmer weather soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I walked home in it, was very light though.

• Thanks 1