Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well, the weather outside IS frightful, and for all the wrong reasons. Spring returns next week by the looks of it. Enough of that for the time being, it's the festive season, so, from myself, to all of you wonderful people in this forum. May I wish you a very merry christmas, and a happy new year. Hopefully the weather gods will treat us soon enough.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

What have southeasterners ever done to deserve 7.8c and rain on Christmas Day?

happy Christmas to start off...to everybody ..the models have changed it or sorry got it wrong ..this wasn't meant to be. Every straw in my view has been totally snatched away so their is nothing to grab in the holiday period ,but if it went so wrong it could go back right (for cold) don't forget we are odds on running a warming bias ..but cant really put a spin on it coz there is nothing to spin ..but my daughter rang from Hamburg  and she has snow on the floor not a great deal but it is still minus 3...what's it like there she said ..same as usual ..dark damp neither hot nor cold and looks like someone's thrown old dish cloth over the sky ..so all i can say is keep festive in your heart ..have a lovely day everyone

Posted

Merry Christmas to all. 

Just been out for my pre-lunch constitutional. A keen SE'ly wind has certainly taken the mildness of the past couple of ways.

The ARPEGE 06Z chart for now would suggest calmer conditions but there's a noticeable breeze out there. I think we're still in negative 850s though not for much longer. The dew point tells the other part of the story. If the trough had elongated and disrupted ESE through the Channel the negative 850s and dew points would have ended up further south - still marginal for London and the SE but perhaps those on higher ground would have fared better.

image.thumb.png.b579decc183c8c3b60705070e8e814f7.pngimage.thumb.png.e54555ee4de2af7ac2c8ad160369c4e0.png

I don't normally look at the 06Z output but as it's Christmas Day - after the push of the jet north this week signs the jet starts coming back south through New Year to run through or just to the south of the British Isles. That suggests, after the exceptionally mild push this week, it's back to a more traditional state to start 2022 with quite a stormy outlook with plenty of LP running west to east often across the middle of the British Isles with plenty of rain and wind.

Posted
6 hours ago, lassie23 said:

What have southeasterners ever done to deserve 7.8c and rain on Christmas Day?

Count yourself lucky.I'm temporarily in South Wales, and have seen blue skies only three times in as many weeks. I'm going to have to use a SAD lamp at this rate.

• Like 1

Posted
On 23/12/2021 at 21:47, Nick F said:

Anyone else been watching Winter Watch 1963: The Big Freeze on BBC Four? Fascinating. Another era. We're unlikely to see such an event happen again in our lifetimes, we wouldn't cope anyway with such a prolonged cold and snowy spell now. Not that it could happen with global warming. I'm pining for snow now, lol.

Its Christmas that's why ..give it too your hands and feet go numb ..trying after a week to get your boots off outside  because your mum/missus is on about slush everywhere ...IN OR OUT...lol...slush then crackly frozen.. slush ...frozen ..to the point where you need a fresh covering or for it to go. And as age creeps in ..like my dad used to say looks lovely from in here ..you haven't got to work in it ..but hope not all is lost ..need to close the AMOC down ..but that just effects people down the road (as such) ;-(

Posted

In some areas, records have already been broken: Wichita Falls in Texas hit 91F (33C) Friday, and Grandfield, Oklahoma, reached 89F. Both beat their Fourth of July high – back at in the middle of summer. Nor were they alone. “Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma, Little Rock, Arkansas, and Memphis, Tennessee, all stand to match or top the record high for 25 December this Saturday,” 

so compared with them ... we are decidedly chillier ..and no one will take our drizzle away ...ever

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

What a proper non event Christmas was weather-wise. Lucky I  had enough booze and food to sink a battleship and have not set foot outside since Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Still 17c possible in the coming week…it is what it is….the US also experiencing exceptional warmth….I’d happy to have this for a few weeks or so, with the cost of energy going through the roof at least I can turn down the thermostat…

Edited by slater

Posted

Morning and a Merry Christmas to you all - I hope everyone had a nice few days over the festive period.

Another dismal morning here, currently 8.8c and it’s just started raining again.

Since about 4pm on Christmas Eve, we’ve had 58.9mm of rain and all I can do is think “what if that had been snow”.

On another note, saw that Michael Fish is sadly retiring from the NW weekly forecast! He will be greatly missed.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to one and all.

It is another dull, drizzly day here, with heavier rain forecast from midday onwards. Is it my perception or has it been cloudier than most Decembers? I struggle to think of the last time we saw much sunshine this month. It has been days on end of grey.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, claret047 said:

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to one and all.

It is another dull, drizzly day here, with heavier rain forecast from midday onwards. Is it my perception or has it been cloudier than most Decembers? I struggle to think of the last time we saw much sunshine this month. It has been days on end of grey.

So dark and gloomy isn’t it? We’ve not opened the living room curtains today, just put the Christmas lights on and decided not to look at the rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Got vaccinated today finally after school decided not to call for me for my vaccination, at least it takes away from this sight

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Got vaccinated today finally after school decided not to call for me for my vaccination, at least it takes away from this sight

image.jpg

No different here ..drizzle ..heavier burst ...drizzle ..dish cloth skies ..gloom ..misty ..foggy on higher ground ..someone could have pinched the sun ..I haven't seen it for a while ..non discript would be my word for it lol ..but warmer it's going to get ..forever and ever and ever ..well to 5 or 6  of jan at earliest.:-) 

Keep the drink flowing and the cheer and laughter going ..it does what it does with us not knowing 

Check this out ...is it ...can't be ...blue sky

20211227_144350.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I actually saw some blue sky today. Just a bit, a little bit of brightness during the last hour of daylight so that's when I took a walk.

• Like 1

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and time to relax..

Could get quite blowly tomorrow for a time around late morning lunch time especially on coasts... surprised no warning really given lots of people will be moving around and going for walks...40mph inland 50-55mph on exposed parts ..

Okay nothing extreme but given the volume of rain over the last few days the ground is quite soft..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, Surrey said:

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and time to relax..

Could get quite blowly tomorrow for a time around late morning lunch time especially on coasts... surprised no warning really given lots of people will be moving around and going for walks...40mph inland 50-55mph on exposed parts ..

Okay nothing extreme but given the volume of rain over the last few days the ground is quite soft..

Already some wind here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

It has rained literally every day, meanwhile in the MOD thread, it's looking good for the end of JanuaryRoll on spring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

God, this weather is sooo bloody boring now, Typical ! mild with low after low. Ironic really that if it was icy cold, we would have blue skies and sunshine, no lp systems anywhere uhh.

Posted
5 hours ago, lassie23 said:

It has rained literally every day, meanwhile in the MOD thread, it's looking good for the end of JanuaryRoll on spring

Is that meaning you want it to be warmer and looking forward to summer or that's when we are  most likely get our dusting of snow ..lol ..if at all..then all that it could have.been is ruined by longer days strong sun and if it happened in Jan feb etc...even if it does there is so many other factors in our Region to slot into place to get what we all ,in our minds, really want

Edited by TN9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Yet another dull, drizzly day. we did have a few minutes brighter weather earlier this morning but it did not last.

With climate change I wonder if the weather systems are driven by climate change or the weather systems drive climate change.

In other words do the positions of high pressure/ depressions dependent upon on the changing climate or do the weather systems subsequently result in climate change , The old chicken and egg thought on my part. 

What do others think? I have not been on the sherry this morning! Honest. It is just difficult to explain what I am attempting to explain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, TN9 said:

Is that meaning you want it to be warmer and looking forward to summer or that's when we are  most likely get our dusting of snow ..lol ..if at all..then all that it could have.been is ruined by longer days strong sun and if it happened in Jan feb etc...even if it does there is so many other factors in our Region to slot into place to get what we all ,in our minds, really want

Just too many false cold spells that vanish, so looking forward to spring when the weather models stop making morons out of everyone lol

Posted
3 hours ago, claret047 said:

Yet another dull, drizzly day. we did have a few minutes brighter weather earlier this morning but it did not last.

With climate change I wonder if the weather systems are driven by climate change or the weather systems drive climate change.

In other words do the positions of high pressure/ depressions dependent upon on the changing climate or do the weather systems subsequently result in climate change , The old chicken and egg thought on my part. 

What do others think? I have not been on the sherry this morning! Honest. It is just difficult to explain what I am attempting to explain.

No ..loud and clear in what I think you mean and if your expecting a quick answer to it all..I haven't got one.. but..we could look into it ..unless someone else knows .. and so  let them fire away

right I got technical answer ...simply put.. a bit of both

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted

Claret ..in the olden days ..first, very old ..billions of years ago ,we was not tilted (like myself lol ) so it was pretty even..overtime we started to sag ..which gives as we know it in our lives winters and summers in between volcanoes ..impacts from space ..etc etc ..where I live was 170 million years ago a massive warm pond ..you can see.by the fossils here ..atmosphere changes accordingly ..tipping points are important not so much for earth eventually but for life as we know it yes ..I personally think we have gone too far over the top 'like putting your.foot down hard in a car 'no brakes, takes a while to stop

• Like 1