Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
15 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oh snoooore the lying pizza wedge is back! Says it's raining over me ... It's not!! Someone tell me WHY It does this!!!?

Hi - I can help you with this and indeed it is frustrating.
The data in the Wiltshire/W Hampshire area is augmented by the radar site near West Dean, a few miles SW of Salisbury. This station has had a problem for quite a while where a quadrant of the scan in a wedge pointing east is corrupted, resulting in 'lines' and wedges of false enhancements and diminished returns.
It doesn't happen all the time but it can be annoying when tracking fine detail and intensities.

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, nsrobins said:

Hi - I can help you with this and indeed it is frustrating.
The data in the Wiltshire/W Hampshire area is augmented by the radar site near West Dean, a few miles SW of Salisbury. This station has had a problem for quite a while where a quadrant of the scan in a wedge pointing east is corrupted, resulting in 'lines' and wedges of false enhancements and diminished returns.
It doesn't happen all the time but it can be annoying when tracking fine detail and intensities.

They need to send a man out to fix it! LOL. It's very annoying!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

An hour or so of definite sleet here before it stopped and is now clearing.

Imagine if we actually had some cold air in place ahead of today’s precipitation!

Posted
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

An hour or so of definite sleet here before it stopped and is now clearing.

Imagine if we actually had some cold air in place ahead of today’s precipitation!

Indeed, imagine it being close to freezing, Cornwall would of had a absolute ton of snow!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oh snoooore the lying pizza wedge is back! Says it's raining over me ... It's not!! Someone tell me WHY It does this!!!?

Maybe a mouse left a piece of cheese in the Dean Hill radar unit and it's casting a "shadow"?

From the Met Office Website that has the article on the radar upgrade information, there's this

image.thumb.png.e8bd5ba5a23b2343b8bf53c86e28786b.png

high-moorsley-radar-lift.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

We constantly look at ways to increase the capability of our radar infrastructure. Find out more about Weather Radar Renewal Project.

Email them and ask 'em why your so cheesy...

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Naff ol weather was pitch dark inside the house earlier, with power costs soaring sitting in the darkness (well only lit by my monitor) seems to be becoming the norm over the last month..

• Thanks 1

Posted

One of the coolest weather phenomena I’ve ever seen but not sure if my video will upload.

Large wet snowflakes falling at the back edge of the (rainy sleety) front with clear sky behind. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Afternoon all, funny day here weatherwise. Heavy sleet at work (70m asl), journey home it was getting more and more snow like as I climbed the hills towards home. I was fully expecting snow as I hit the Mendip plateau (270m asl) but instead I got fog and drizzle, the cloud base had descended so was driving through the clouds, which isn't unusual up there, surprised it was wet instead of white. As I travelled down the other side of the hills to the Cheddar valley of home (25m asl) it again turned to heavy sleet.

I always thought the higher you went, the colder it got, so snow was more likely on the hills, today the opposite was true. Not a clue why.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, jethro said:

Afternoon all, funny day here weatherwise. Heavy sleet at work (70m asl), journey home it was getting more and more snow like as I climbed the hills towards home. I was fully expecting snow as I hit the Mendip plateau (270m asl) but instead I got fog and drizzle, the cloud base had descended so was driving through the clouds, which isn't unusual up there, surprised it was wet instead of white. As I travelled down the other side of the hills to the Cheddar valley of home (25m asl) it again turned to heavy sleet.

I always thought the higher you went, the colder it got, so snow was more likely on the hills, today the opposite was true. Not a clue why.

By your description that sounds almost like a temperature inversion, but I'll let the knowledgeable comment..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Some sleet/wet snow mixed with the rain here in NE Hampshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
42 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

One of the coolest weather phenomena I’ve ever seen but not sure if my video will upload.

Large wet snowflakes falling at the back edge of the (rainy sleety) front with clear sky behind. 

Well captured . Looks great. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Was at other end of town earlier taking mum out for much needed break in a cafe. 
My son said “ daddy look out the window” !!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

We got a bit of a dusting of snow this afternoon here.  Quite surprising as the forecast precipitation was way sw of here (was at work so couldn't radar watch)

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Codec wants me to buy something for 79p to view that video - an extension. It can get lost pft!

My video? No idea why!

Posted
1 hour ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Some sleet/wet snow mixed with the rain here in NE Hampshire.

Typical just as it stopped here

Posted
1 hour ago, Hampshire Hillbilly said:

Covering of snow on all surfaces here in Four Marks. temp 0.1c

Rain turned to sleet c3.30. Snow from 4pm

Sooo damn close!!!GRRRRR!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

My video? No idea why!

Must be something odd, as I received a missing codec error, so I suspect more about the app to view the mov file. Although I have to say I don't normally get any issues and offerman's video doesn't play for me either..

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Sooo damn close!!!GRRRRR!!

Oh come on Beka, you know how you love wintery rain, how it chills your soul, and makes you feel...perky!

Move down here, and get far away from those might/might not scenarios, we go for wont rather than might...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
Just now, Dorsetbred said:

Oh come on Beka, you know how you love wintery rain, how it chills your soul, and makes you feel...perky!

Pft!! All I want is snoooooow!! SOB!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Typical just as it stopped here

It was only briefly and nothing settled, at least not in the very NE of Hampshire. Some parts close to the M3 near Farnborough/Fleet appeared to have the heavier precipitation for longer (according to the radar) so I don't know if there was a brief dusting there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Pretty grim day here. Temp peaked at 7c, then slowly dropped as the rain arrived. Currently 3 1c

Posted
41 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Pft!! All I want is snoooooow!! SOB!!!

Do what we do, drive to find it, a quick trip up to Basingstroke (yes Basingstroke, as I used to live there) and just as you go over the peak before junction8 (A303), you'll find it...just past Micheldever and before it drops to Cliddsden. Dummer usually catches it.. I've seen snow drifts a good 8-10ft high up there in years GONE BY!

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Thanks 1