Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

ROLL CALL!!! 2023 Chase Season

ItIsGee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

No chance of flights dropping in price at this range. I'm surprised they're still affordable to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks Paul/Nick - think I'll bite the bullet and purchase flights & insurance in the next few days. 

Edited by Luke Best
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Paul B has been passed "Fit to Fly" and enjoyed a "nice breakfast" at T5 so on his way to the US. Looking forward to the reports and pics from all this season's tours. Been so long.

Edited by Jo Farrow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Finally managed to book at hotel for the day I arrive, and a car for the day after before T3 starts. Anyone else for T3 landing on Saturday 28th from LHR?

Edited by MikeUpjohn

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
On 01/05/2022 at 15:23, MikeUpjohn said:

Finally managed to book at hotel for the day I arrive, and a car for the day after before T3 starts. Anyone else for T3 landing on Saturday 28th from LHR?

i shall look forward to meeting up again for tour 3 Mike 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Well bags partial packed, documentation being put together .  My fit to fly test should arrive over the week end, my train to Manchester leaves pm on Tuesday. Graham and i due to fly 7am from Manchester to LHR then LHR to Denver mid afternoon arriving in Denver 5.27 ish.   That will be a first for me, its usually DFW. 

• Like 2

Posted

See you there!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
2 minutes ago, Wob said:

Now the tours are in full swing, which travel insurance did people use and recommend? 

I think Battleface and Campbell Irvine have been the two that I've seen mentioned most. 

Posted
On 23/05/2022 at 13:14, Paul said:

I think Battleface and Campbell Irvine have been the two that I've seen mentioned most. 

I went with Campbell Irvine. 

If memory serves, Battleface don't cover cancellation due to a positive Covid test prior to flying. 

• Like 1

Posted

I've bought Battleface. Sat in the Crown Rivers at Heathrow T5 with a cheeky pint ready for the Denver flight.

Looks like some storms even if not all severe floating around Denver and points North tomorrow. Hope T2 get in on that Enhanced Risk up in NE.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Last day at work tomorrow, then Wednesday I'm off, need to do a fit-to-fly covid test at local pharmacy and packing, before arriving LHR Thursday morning to catch the BA flight to DEN at 14:50. Anyone else on this flight for T4? I know Richard, the other driver, is. 

Really looking forward to it, been 3 years since the last chase stateside and will be my 8th storm chase since the first way back in late April / early May 2007.

Looks like there'll be a big MCS a few 100 miles to the east over Kansas the evening / night I land on Thursday, before it moves on to Arkansas on Friday. hot and dry for much of the Plains over the weekend, but picking up for the Northern Plains end of weekend / next week, as the ridge moves on and the next trough arrives in the west.

Cheers

Nick F

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

Last day at work tomorrow, then Wednesday I'm off, need to do a fit-to-fly covid test at local pharmacy and packing, before arriving LHR Thursday morning to catch the BA flight to DEN at 14:50. Anyone else on this flight for T4? I know Richard, the other driver, is. 

Really looking forward to it, been 3 years since the last chase stateside and will be my 8th storm chase since the first way back in late April / early May 2007.

Looks like there'll be a big MCS a few 100 miles to the east over Kansas the evening / night I land on Thursday, before it moves on to Arkansas on Friday. hot and dry for much of the Plains over the weekend, but picking up for the Northern Plains end of weekend / next week, as the ridge moves on and the next trough arrives in the west.

Cheers

Nick F

Hi Nick, 

Yeah, I'm also on this flight. First time out there for me - what do people do re currency? I rarely use cash any more but thinking perhaps I ought to get some dollars out? 

Cheers, 

Luke 

Posted
9 hours ago, Paul said:

You can draw them out from a cashpoint out there. Although all places will take a card. 

I used a mix of prepaid card from Caxton but everywhere takes cash. Had some problems with my prepay card declining so cash is a must.

You can pay for anything here with a UK debit card but typically a £2.50 fee for each transaction. So you can get more dollars out here but take a bigger amount out at once and you only get hit by one transaction fee then.

Posted
37 minutes ago, MikeUpjohn said:

I used a mix of prepaid card from Caxton but everywhere takes cash. Had some problems with my prepay card declining so cash is a must.

You can pay for anything here with a UK debit card but typically a £2.50 fee for each transaction. So you can get more dollars out here but take a bigger amount out at once and you only get hit by one transaction fee then.

That's very helpful - thanks Mike. 

Posted

How much would you suggest I'm likely to spend on food/drink? 

Just trying to figure out how many dollars to get. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Luke Best said:

How much would you suggest I'm likely to spend on food/drink? 

Just trying to figure out how many dollars to get. 

I've spent about $400 on food and drink across my pre-pay card and in cash. And another $100 or so on souvenirs, beers etc.

Posted
6 minutes ago, MikeUpjohn said:

I've spent about $400 on food and drink across my pre-pay card and in cash. And another $100 or so on souvenirs, beers etc.

Thanks for this Mike - ties in with my expectations.

Posted
On 06/06/2022 at 16:34, Nick F said:

Cheers

Nick F

Looks like most of tour 4 are on this flight!! Myself, Richard and Steve will be on it too!!! Currently at the coach station waiting for my journey to Heathrow. Test at the airport before chilling out in a hotel

On 06/06/2022 at 19:24, Luke Best said:

Hi Nick, 

Yeah, I'm also on this flight. First time out there for me - what do people do re currency? I rarely use cash any more but thinking perhaps I ought to get some dollars out? 

Cheers, 

Luke 

Looking forward to meeting you Luke. Sorry have been too busy to follow these messages until now. I'm doing a mixture of dollars and card

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Jodie35 said:

Looks like most of tour 4 are on this flight!! Myself, Richard and Steve will be on it too!!! Currently at the coach station waiting for my journey to Heathrow. Test at the airport before chilling out in a hotel

Looking forward to meeting you Luke. Sorry have been too busy to follow these messages until now. I'm doing a mixture of dollars and card

Thanks Jodie! I've decided to go old school and get cash - got my dollars today. Looking forward to meeting up soon. 

Posted

I think I misread Nick's post, I'm flying on Friday. My Covid test is 8am Thursday.

Cheers Nick - your Twitter post saved me £50! I had booked myself a PCR test thinking that's what was needed for entry to the USA. I've now had it amended to the rapid antigen test. Nick, I owe you a beer! 

See you all Friday on the other side of the pond! 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
Posted

For those travelling out to the USA this year, dogtag are back up and running for insurance. They have an offer code for 20% off currently, use 'SUNSHINE23' at the checkout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 11/04/2022 at 07:30, Paul said:

I don't think any insurer would cover you in the (highly unlikely at this stage) event of government travel restrictions. 

At that point, because it would essentially mean the flights and tours were cancelled, you'd be due credits/refunds direct.

In terms of flights, I've not seen much movement of late. Just beware the risk of them jumping up if / when seats get filled nearer the time though.

Tour 3 for me, and thanks for the heads up on this. See you all stateside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'll be back in action this year, flying out 20th May with my partner, my Dad and his other half for 10 days of chasing and then a road trip to Vegas. Can't wait.

• Like 2