Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Davis Vantage Pro 2 - Confused about the options


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Netherton
  • Location: Netherton

    Thanks for reading and apologies if this an old topic resurrected. 

    I've just found the forum and would really appreciate any advice given from the members.

    I'm an outdoors -  sea fishing, shooting, scuba diving and amateur radio(!) - sort of person, my current station is a Bresser 5 in 1 which has got me back into weather watching and keeping an eye on local trends.

    The bug has bitten and I'd really like to upgrade to a Davis but I am confused by what the options are regarding uploading my data to the internet, Wunderground for one but I'd like to expand this to other sites.

    I have a fairly quick PC that has a LAN connection via Cat 5 to my router, which is my best option, please? I've asked a couple of PWS retailers and they just send me links expecting me to understand what they are saying. I'm being a bit lazy and would really appreciate someone explaining my best options, if that is possible?

    My primary requirement is for wind speed and direction measurement - if this gets too strong or from the south I have a tilt-over mast for my antenna, my secondary measurements are rainfall, pressure and then temperature. Air quality would be nice, but maybe in the future.

    As above, the future may see me add sensors, so it looks like a Vantage Pro may well be the unit I aspire to.

    For any Davis users, please, do tell me why the Davis is so well regarded?

     

    All the best

     

    Kev

    image0.jpeg

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: The Purbeck Microclimate, Dorset.
  • Location: The Purbeck Microclimate, Dorset.

    You have a multitude of ways to get data to other sites...

    Raspberry Pi, Meteobridge Pro, Nano, Nano SD, Windows PC/Laptop, WeatherLink Live etc

    First things first, do you have a data logger? You can get one to connect to your console, and then it connects to a PC, Laptop, or Pi. You'll then need to download software to the device (I use Cumulus MX) it runs on a mini PC  24/7. If the PC has to close for a duration, the data logger stores all of the data that's still coming in to your console. Once you open the software again, it will download all of the data in a "catch-up" process - you won't lose any data.

    WeatherLink Live for example, doesn't have a data logger built in per se, however, it logs all data from sensors and uploads it to Davis WeatherLink. Cumulus MX software can still connect to your WeatherLink Live via a UDP broadcast across your local network, and send that data to other PWS sites. The one catch with that is, if you want the catch-up function, you have to pay a subscription to Davis to get access to archived data.

    I use Cumulus MX software combined with WeatherLink live. The extra advantage with Cumulus MX is that I use it to populate my own website. I'm also sending my data to around 13 PWS sites, like Wunderground, AWEKAS, Met Office WoW etc

    There's so much available to a user these days.. I think your best bet would be to as on the Cumulus MX forum, particularly if you want to save £££.

    As for Davis, I have had problems with equipment over the years, much like anything else, but I'll always use their equipment until I win the lottery.

    Edited by Mapantz
    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Netherton
  • Location: Netherton
    15 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

    You have a multitude of ways to get data to other sites...

    Raspberry Pi, Meteobridge Pro, Nano, Nano SD, Windows PC/Laptop, WeatherLink Live etc

    First things first, do you have a data logger? You can get one to connect to your console, and then it connects to a PC, Laptop, or Pi. You'll then need to download software to the device (I use Cumulus MX) it runs on a mini PC  24/7. If the PC has to close for a duration, the data logger stores all of the data that's still coming in to your console. Once you open the software again, it will download all of the data in a "catch-up" process - you won't lose any data.

    WeatherLink Live for example, doesn't have a data logger built in per se, however, it logs all data from sensors and uploads it to Davis WeatherLink. Cumulus MX software can still connect to your WeatherLink Live via a UDP broadcast across your local network, and send that data to other PWS sites. The one catch with that is, if you want the catch-up function, you have to pay a subscription to Davis to get access to archived data.

    I use Cumulus MX software combined with WeatherLink live. The extra advantage with Cumulus MX is that I use it to populate my own website. I'm also sending my data to around 13 PWS sites, like Wunderground, AWEKAS, Met Office WoW etc

    There's so much available to a user these days.. I think your best bet would be to as on the Cumulus MX forum, particularly if you want to save £££.

    As for Davis, I have had problems with equipment over the years, much like anything else, but I'll always use their equipment until I win the lottery.

    Thanks so much for the reply, I'm now a bit more confused!  Me being thick....

    Why do I need a data logger? Does the Davis not transfer directly to the internet?

    My PC is online 24/7 and my Bresser sends information directly to Wunderground, do Davis not connect directly?

     

    Apologies for the newbie questions.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: The Purbeck Microclimate, Dorset.
  • Location: The Purbeck Microclimate, Dorset.
    10 minutes ago, Terrierist said:

    Thanks so much for the reply, I'm now a bit more confused!  Me being thick....

    Why do I need a data logger? Does the Davis not transfer directly to the internet?

    My PC is online 24/7 and my Bresser sends information directly to Wunderground, do Davis not connect directly?

     

    Apologies for the newbie questions.

    A Davis console doesn't connect to the internet (WeatherLink Live does) the data logger tethers the console to the PC, so the software can talk to it. The data logger combined with software also ensures you don't lose any data if the internet goes down, or there's a loss of power causing the software to close. When the issues are rectified, the software has either saved the info locally, or it will automatically download the saved data from the logger for the duration that the software has been closed.

    Either way, you'll need a piece of extra hardware to get data online.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Netherton
  • Location: Netherton

    Thanks, now I understand.

    Why the prompt to Cumulus MX though? I remember the site from my days with an elderly WatSon station and I 'sort of' remember trying the software.. It's a while ago though.

     

    I really do appreciate your help and replies.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

    CumulusMX is great software it can be installed on raspberry pi but you'll need to get up to speed on linux for that option. Windows is the easy option.

    Davis with a 24 fars is a great bit of kit. The temperatures are very close to the ones I record in Stephenson screen next to it.  Normally within a 0.2 to 0.4 of a degree. Maybe once or twice a year I may get a large difference which can't be explained. 

    One of two things though. You need to be able to get to Anemometer fairly easily  as they do tend to break fairly easily. The sun has destroyed two on my roof by making the plastic brittle. Annoying it's an easy repair to do except I can't get onto the roof. So I now have mounted on a 25 ft pole in the garden which I case raise or lower if needed. It  easier with two people though. You may like to consider the ultrasonic version. The only found issue with this as have other people is that it misses the larger gusts so you may say record 55mph while if you had the analogue one you get 60mph.

    Supercaps. Davis have an issue with them so after a few years they tend to go pop. Not a problem if you can solder. It's a design fault where they stick it across a 3v line yet they are only rated at 2.7V. Signs of this are the batteries running low quickly and the losing the connection at night even after replacing the battery. All good fun.

    I wouldn't buy a none fars unit if you do you probably record temperatures to high generally and have a slower response to rapid changes in temperatures.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Netherton
  • Location: Netherton
    18 minutes ago, The PIT said:

    CumulusMX is great software it can be installed on raspberry pi but you'll need to get up to speed on linux for that option. Windows is the easy option.

    Davis with a 24 fars is a great bit of kit. The temperatures are very close to the ones I record in Stephenson screen next to it.  Normally within a 0.2 to 0.4 of a degree. Maybe once or twice a year I may get a large difference which can't be explained. 

    One of two things though. You need to be able to get to Anemometer fairly easily  as they do tend to break fairly easily. The sun has destroyed two on my roof by making the plastic brittle. Annoying it's an easy repair to do except I can't get onto the roof. So I now have mounted on a 25 ft pole in the garden which I case raise or lower if needed. It  easier with two people though. You may like to consider the ultrasonic version. The only found issue with this as have other people is that it misses the larger gusts so you may say record 55mph while if you had the analogue one you get 60mph.

    Supercaps. Davis have an issue with them so after a few years they tend to go pop. Not a problem if you can solder. It's a design fault where they stick it across a 3v line yet they are only rated at 2.7V. Signs of this are the batteries running low quickly and the losing the connection at night even after replacing the battery. All good fun.

    I wouldn't buy a none fars unit if you do you probably record temperatures to high generally and have a slower response to rapid changes in temperatures.

    Cheers..

     

    What are FARS and Stephenson? I'm a complete newbie to all this?

     

    Ta!

     

    Kev

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Poole, Dorset 42m ASL
  • Location: Poole, Dorset 42m ASL
    On 13/01/2022 at 19:51, Terrierist said:

    Cheers..

     

    What are FARS and Stephenson? I'm a complete newbie to all this?

     

    Ta!

     

    Kev

    Kev

    From the Davis website:

    This fan aspirated radiation shield (FARS) system includes a 24 hour solar powered fan for even greater accuracy as part of the radiation shield. This feature is ideal for hot & humid climates as the FARS combines active and passive aspiration to minimise the effects of radiation.

    Stephenson information can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 2 weeks later...
    Posted
  • Location: Dead Centre of the Vale of Clwyd
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.
  • Location: Dead Centre of the Vale of Clwyd

    I have had the Pro 2 with data logger for a number of years. Generally very reliable and easy to set up. The £180 (cheaper if bought with the console) data logger fits inside the Pro 2 console battery compartment and links via a cable to one of your PC USB ports. I think this is essential, but you may not. On my PC I use Weather Display to show the data and this software has an easy Wunderground set up built in. Wunderground is what I use to post data to the internet and there are several iPhone apps that you can use to display your latest Wunderground data. My station is set to download data to my PC every 3 seconds and I have also set that frequency for upload to Wunderground via internet. Just ask if you have more questions - happy to help where I can. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Netherton
  • Location: Netherton
    1 minute ago, in the vale said:

    I have had the Pro 2 with data logger for a number of years. Generally very reliable and easy to set up. The £180 (cheaper if bought with the console) data logger fits inside the Pro 2 console battery compartment and links via a cable to one of your PC USB ports. I think this is essential, but you may not. On my PC I use Weather Display to show the data and this software has an easy Wunderground set up built in. Wunderground is what I use to post data to the internet and there are several iPhone apps that you can use to display your latest Wunderground data. My station is set to download data to my PC every 3 seconds and I have also set that frequency for upload to Wunderground via internet. Just ask if you have more questions - happy to help where I can. 

    Thanks for this! Wonder where in Bryniau Clwyd you are? It’s an area I know well through classic rallying.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Dead Centre of the Vale of Clwyd
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.
  • Location: Dead Centre of the Vale of Clwyd
    6 minutes ago, Terrierist said:

    Thanks for this! Wonder where in Bryniau Clwyd you are? It’s an area I know well through classic rallying.

    Right next to the graveyard (hence 'Dead Centre') of an ancient church bang in the middle of the Vale, a place called Llanynys. If you follow the Wundrground link below you'll see it on the map.

    I am used to historic rallies going through here so you probably know it. Big rally fan myself, have owned Imprezas of various sorts continuously since my first in 95. 

    Edited by in the vale
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Netherton
  • Location: Netherton
    9 minutes ago, in the vale said:

    Right next to the graveyard (hence 'Dead Centre') of an ancient church bang in the middle of the Vale, a place called Llanynys. If you follow the Wundrground link below you'll see it on the map.

    I am used to historic rallies going through here so you probably know it. Big rally fan myself, have owned Imprezas of various sorts continuously since my first in 95. 

    I was a member of Vale of Clwyd car club for a while and we based our Clwyd Classic out of The Druid at Llanferes. It’s a stunning part of the Country. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...