Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When will the first summer storms appear?

Sunny76

Posted

I know it’s early, but when do you think the first storms will arrive this year?

And, will it be widespread daytime storms, evening storms or overnight ones, and/ or a combination of both.

My prediction is for early June to be thundery, but see August as a stormy month, with one evening and overnight storm. Not localised either, like the last few summers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

May. Almost always brings the first summer storms here... either via plume or homegrown. The earliest example of course being 01st May 2005.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

here in Alberta mid to late May is when storm season gets underway and last until mid late August

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I'm thinking May, as this is the case in many years.  We got a (for the time of year) very good plume type even on 21st April 2018.  

Would love to see a very late season beast from the east meet a very early spanish plume!  Synoptically that could happen.

Posted
10 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

I'm thinking May, as this is the case in many years.  We got a (for the time of year) very good plume type even on 21st April 2018.  

Would love to see a very late season beast from the east meet a very early spanish plume!  Synoptically that could happen.

We used to get them in mid to late August. 

My favourite thundery plume events were August 1987, August 86, and June 1994.

1992 seems to be a forgotten summer for thunderstorms, but I remember one happening during the night in late May, and a daytime evening one in mid July, which made it turn dark, and another one in August.