Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Dudley - Weds 16th and Thurs 17th

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Ross90 said:

Storm Dudley - 18 replies, storm Eunice - 202 replies... I wonder which one is affecting the south.

Had to think about that one. Maybe because the more dangerous storm might be affecting 40 million+ people as opposed to 5 million?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Had to think about that one. Maybe because the more dangerous storm might be affecting 40 million+ people as opposed to 5 million?

Dudley is likely to affect Manchester, Liverpool and possibly down beyond the midlands so well over 5m. Eunice is affecting the southern third of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

16 degrees tomorrow! likely higher in E/SE, warmest day since probably Oct! short trousers out

Temp in Dudley? maybe 16.2C

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
5 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Dudley is likely to affect Manchester, Liverpool and possibly down beyond the midlands so well over 5m. Eunice is affecting the southern third of the UK.

The more powerful storm is always going to get more attention. That doesn't mean dudley won't pack a punch 

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

16 degrees tomorrow! likely higher in E/SE, warmest day since probably Oct! short trousers out

Temp in Dudley? maybe 16.2C

Wasted on this sort of setup though - I would prefer 6C in all honesty, which would be more normal for this time of year, of course. All it will do is encourage the earlier spring flowers, such as daffodils, to come out early, while the unsettled spell is still ongoing, and as a result, we won't be able to enjoy them. After these two grim years, we all need a nice spring!

If we're to have unsettled, let's have it cold with it!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dudley slight downgrade further north but upgrade further south as the high gusts seem to more widespread. Warmth maybe the mostly notable feature for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

But weren’t you saying Dudley was turning into a dud earlier? The southern third of the UK is the most populous 

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

But weren’t you saying Dudley was turning into a dud earlier? The southern third of the UK is the most populous 

It may be the most densely populated but over half the UK population live away from the South of England.

We're just a bit more spread out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I think it's clear that Storm Eunice will likely have bigger impact than this one, and it will be further south, impacting more densely populated areas. 

This storm is still being taken seriously enough for all train services throughout most of Scotland to be halted from 16:00 onwards tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

It may be the most densely populated but over half the UK population live away from the South of England.

We're just a bit more spread out.

Not long until we find out exactly how severe Dudley will be. The Met Office are taking it pretty seriously, hope people heed the warnings.
Perhaps there’ll be a few chips blown off shoulders, too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

On a smaller note, it's worth noting that the strong winds won't exactly feel warm on Friday afternoon either;

75-290UK.thumb.gif.1dd32744e70d2ddb0ed1a9610a29eac8.gif

78-290UK.thumb.gif.04e205557e1a7883a95353c16b73b02c.gif

Nothing like a 60mph+ gust of wind with a feels like temp circa -6c slapping you in the face! 

Posted
32 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I think it's clear that Storm Eunice will likely have bigger impact than this one, and it will be further south, impacting more densely populated areas. 

This storm is still being taken seriously enough for all train services throughout most of Scotland to be halted from 16:00 onwards tomorrow.

If the mets forecast wind speeds are correct that's a joke of a decision. It won't even be the strongest storm in Scotland this winter, in fact it might not even be top 3...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
8 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Tomorrow is the 60th anniversary of the Sheffield gales where there were wind speeds of 97mph.

Funny you should mention the 60th anniversary of the Great  Sheffield Gale as it was known I nly had this conversation with my dad about this the other day.

From reading up about the winds they  were caused by a  temperature inversion which lead to a rapid rise in windspeeds.

We can only hope and pray that doesn't  occur this time around.

• Like 1

Posted

So I'm awake at stupid o'clock and the first gust of wind that I heard was at 02:50 which is a tad earlier than I was expecting. It seemed to come out of nowhere and was pretty loud. Let's see how this develops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I got woken up as well. Feeling rotten with covid too. Not a good combination.

Posted
1 hour ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I got woken up as well. Feeling rotten with covid too. Not a good combination.

Jeez mate, sorry to hear that. You take care of yourself and rest up. 

Posted

It's windy here in Wakefield but nothing particularly exceptional at the minute. Not sure it will get much stronger as the day goes on? Mind you, the warning doesn't kick in til 3pm.

Edited by Paul_1978

Posted
10 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

It seems that Dudley will rattle through p.d.q. and will affect mainland Europe more than the UK. Eunice on the other hand.....

Northern areas will feel the blunt of it.

Edited by booferking

Posted
24 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

It seems that Dudley will rattle through p.d.q. and will affect mainland Europe more than the UK. Eunice on the other hand.....

Would you like to tell the Met Office or shall I? When "mainland UK" stops north of York, I'd suggest that the definition of mainland UK is a tad "off".

Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 10.29.13.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Would you like to tell the Met Office or shall I? When "mainland UK" stops north of York, I'd suggest that the definition of mainland UK is a tad "off".

Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 10.29.13.png

Totally agree on the constant London-based narrative (and I'm from London....sorry) but I think they're alluding to the effect this will have on coastal regions Netherlands and Denmark, where the storm will bring flooding potential and significant snowfall. Eunice on the other hand will have a wider UK impact, be it snow, torrential rain or gales (depending on which model wins out).   Personally when I see Amber for anywhere north of the M62 I see that as being a more severe weather event than an amber event in London because of the weighing for potential impacts favours less resilient areas like the Capital. 

• Like 1

Posted

Slight upgrade for central Scotland bringing 50 - 55mph gusts through the central belt between 3pm and 5pm. Bbc are still going for similar on Sunday while the met are going much weaker...

• Like 1

Posted

Currently we've had some bands of heavy rain. The wind has all but disappeared after last night's roaring sound in our chimney. There's hardly a twig moving right now, but there's a weird, soft rumbling sound above us. Is this the infamous "calm before the storm"?

• Like 1

There are some heavy showers moving through here right now, but there is still some nice sunshine in between. The wind has picked up, and many weather stations across Southern Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Northern England are reporting gusts of 50 to 68 mph. The storm will pass directly over Scotland during the next few hours, meaning the highest winds have yet to arrive in some areas.

• Thanks 1