Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Spring 2022 - thoughts

Posted

Spring meteorologically starts in only just over a week's time, so apt time to start a thread I feel for sharing thoughts on how it may pan.

Please use this thread to include your forecasts for Spring 2022, general thoughts as a whole, general reflections.

Whilst 1 March may mark start of Spring, here I tend to see the 1-21 March as a transitional period between winter and spring. March can pack a might cold wintry punch despite the warming sunshine and longer days. In the fells it can bring some of or even the harshest conditions of the year.

We've had two very contrasting springs in 2020 and 2021. 2020 started off fairly standard with unsettled conditions in March but then we saw a marked change coinciding with the first lockdown, and there followed a superb long dry very sunny very warm period right through to June. Conversely last Spring brought a change in fortunes around the same time, it started off mild, but then turned cold, notably so in April and very frosty and May was unusually cold and wet.

I'm expecting a varied Spring, I think we will see some lengthy spells of early Spring warmth at times with dry conditions, but the strong PV and significant cold to the north will produce spells of possible potent cold at times more so in April, the classic cold northerly plunges. May I think will be mich better than last year, but still quite mixed.

• Like 3

Posted

Like damianslaw I think all that cold and ice  in the Arctic will dissipate over us in the spring a bit like last year. Always find March up here to be the hungriest monh of the year on the farm.Sold very little  horse hay in the benign autumn but phone ringing every day now since it turned so cold and wet in February and expect it to carry on into March and April perhaps May as well if its as cold as last spring with new grass growth very late too. Daffs are behind here too  now only just breaking the surface and not at all in cold sheltered areas where is still a little snow left from   Friday so every chance we will have a few still flowering in the first week of June like last spring. 

In fact we seem to have gone back to the traditional cold north of Scotland  spring in the last twenty years with the frequency of N and E winds at their yearly highest in spring and the sea at its coldest point offering little moderation of Arctic airstreams.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

They say that March sometimes ends up being colder than the previous December, and I can see this year being a prime example of that. I reckon the first half of March will be more wintery than any of the winter months, with a cold snap bringing a snowfall or two to many areas. Second half will be more mixed with temps close to average, even a little above average at times.

I can see April being quite a contrast to the previous two Aprils. Cool and wet for the most part with the odd shortlived blip here and there. Final week of the month finally starts to see things settle down, and even becomes very warm at times with our first 20 Celsius of the year.

May I can see being predominantly settled, but not exceptionally so. Whilst settled, temps will be around average for the most part but does get very warm or even hot around the end of the month. There will be the odd unsettled but shortlived blip here and there.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

(Copied from the thread that I started, @damianslaw advised me to place it here to avoid duplication.)

My thoughts are solely based on historical analogues (years with strong jetstreams in late winter) and current tendencies. They are not based on expert knowledge or a detailed analysis of the state of the atmosphere.

I'd guess that the strong jet stream in late winter this year is one thing to consider; also I have heard talk that a large polar vortex can tend to 'drop' in spring and we end up with a cold cyclonic type come April, but is this actually the case?

I'll start by considering years similar to now, i.e Februaries with strong and persistent zonality since 1989, and looking at what happened in the following early-mid spring. (I'm discounting 2011 due to the exceptional cold spell in December which might suggest the overall state of the atmosphere was significantly different that year). Obviously if anyone wants to add anything more scientific, please feel free to do so!

The strongest analogues are perhaps 1989, 1997 and 2000 as all those had anticyclonic Januaries. But I'm including all of them.

So in 1989, the zonality had always been present even in January but pressure was high to the south, meaning very mild but very dry. Around the 13th or so the jet dropped and the rest of February, and most of March until the 23rd, was zonal, dull, wet, and apart from the last weekend in February, mostly mild. After that, a brief warm anticyclonic interlude from March 24-April 2, then a cold cyclonic type through April with a mixture of northerlies, easterlies and Atlantic air.

In 1990 the outcome was rather different, the zonality had been going in January but at the end of February the jetstream migrated north, and March was very warm, dry, sunny and anticyclonic. April had varying types and varying temperatures, with the emphasis on dry and sunny (though Easter was wet and cold).

Next analogue was 1995 which also had the zonality in January (and Dec too, to some extent) though somewhat less mild than 1990. The outcome was different again with the wind swinging round to the NW in late Feb while the lows kept coming. Result was a cold and at times somewhat snowy interlude early in March with a NW type, before the rest of March became dry, fairly sunny and generally warm but with one or two brief cold interludes. April was again predominantly dry and sunny though with varying types and a post-Easter cold spell.

1997 was a strong analogue in the sense that most of January (after the 11th) had been anticyclonic with average temps, though obviously colder before that! It was another year that the jetstream migrated north at the end of Feb, and March was warm, sunny and dry - as indeed was April.

2000, perhaps an even stronger analogue (no significant early-winter cold) had a similar progression with northward movement of the jetstream in March, which was warm and sunny once again. However April was rather different, cyclonic and at first cold, with lowland snow in the south in the first week.

2007 produced another northerly migrating jetstream, with a warm and sunny March and April.

With 2014, there had been an extremely wet and cyclonic winter, the jetstream gradually started moving north around the 16th Feb which resulted in the second half of the month being less wet than the preceding two months. Another case of a dry warm sunny March following, though the last 10 days were more changeable. April was changeable but warm.

Then 2016, which was quite radically different to the rest, which a change to sustained cold-ish weather in March, an anticyclonic type dominating for much of the month followed by a cold cyclonic type late month. April was rather cool and changeable, with northerly types common.

Finally 2020, in which the zonality persisted to mid March then the rest of the month, and April, was sunny and mostly warm with occasional cold interludes.

So a bit of a mixed lot there, but the one frequent pattern is a change to warm, dry and sunny in March as the jetstream moves north. This was observed in 6.5 of the 9 years (0.5 awarded for 2020 as the change didn't occur until mid-March).

April, on the other hand, seems more variable with less of a clear pattern, though perhaps a slight tendency for warm and sunny. However the cold cyclonic weather which some have suggested in years with a strong vortex only occurred relatively infrequently (1989, 2000 and perhaps 2016). Perhaps two general types do manifest themselves fairly frequently though: warm and sunny, and by contrast, cold and changeable.

Edited by Summer8906
    • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing cold snowy winters & unsettled summers.
    4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

(Copied from the thread that I started, @damianslaw advised me to place it here to avoid duplication.)

My thoughts are solely based on historical analogues (years with strong jetstreams in late winter) and current tendencies. They are not based on expert knowledge or a detailed analysis of the state of the atmosphere.

I'd guess that the strong jet stream in late winter this year is one thing to consider; also I have heard talk that a large polar vortex can tend to 'drop' in spring and we end up with a cold cyclonic type come April, but is this actually the case?

I'll start by considering years similar to now, i.e Februaries with strong and persistent zonality since 1989, and looking at what happened in the following early-mid spring. (I'm discounting 2011 due to the exceptional cold spell in December which might suggest the overall state of the atmosphere was significantly different that year). Obviously if anyone wants to add anything more scientific, please feel free to do so!

The strongest analogues are perhaps 1989, 1997 and 2000 as all those had anticyclonic Januaries. But I'm including all of them.

So in 1989, the zonality had always been present even in January but pressure was high to the south, meaning very mild but very dry. Around the 13th or so the jet dropped and the rest of February, and most of March until the 23rd, was zonal, dull, wet, and apart from the last weekend in February, mostly mild. After that, a brief warm anticyclonic interlude from March 24-April 2, then a cold cyclonic type through April with a mixture of northerlies, easterlies and Atlantic air.

In 1990 the outcome was rather different, the zonality had been going in January but at the end of February the jetstream migrated north, and March was very warm, dry, sunny and anticyclonic. April had varying types and varying temperatures, with the emphasis on dry and sunny (though Easter was wet and cold).

Next analogue was 1995 which also had the zonality in January (and Dec too, to some extent) though somewhat less mild than 1990. The outcome was different again with the wind swinging round to the NW in late Feb while the lows kept coming. Result was a cold and at times somewhat snowy interlude early in March with a NW type, before the rest of March became dry, fairly sunny and generally warm but with one or two brief cold interludes. April was again predominantly dry and sunny though with varying types and a post-Easter cold spell.

1997 was a strong analogue in the sense that most of January (after the 11th) had been anticyclonic with average temps, though obviously colder before that! It was another year that the jetstream migrated north at the end of Feb, and March was warm, sunny and dry - as indeed was April.

2000, perhaps an even stronger analogue (no significant early-winter cold) had a similar progression with northward movement of the jetstream in March, which was warm and sunny once again. However April was rather different, cyclonic and at first cold, with lowland snow in the south in the first week.

2007 produced another northerly migrating jetstream, with a warm and sunny March and April.

With 2014, there had been an extremely wet and cyclonic winter, the jetstream gradually started moving north around the 16th Feb which resulted in the second half of the month being less wet than the preceding two months. Another case of a dry warm sunny March following, though the last 10 days were more changeable. April was changeable but warm.

Then 2016, which was quite radically different to the rest, which a change to sustained cold-ish weather in March, an anticyclonic type dominating for much of the month followed by a cold cyclonic type late month. April was rather cool and changeable, with northerly types common.

Finally 2020, in which the zonality persisted to mid March then the rest of the month, and April, was sunny and mostly warm with occasional cold interludes.

So a bit of a mixed lot there, but the one frequent pattern is a change to warm, dry and sunny in March as the jetstream moves north. This was observed in 6.5 of the 9 years (0.5 awarded for 2020 as the change didn't occur until mid-March).

April, on the other hand, seems more variable with less of a clear pattern, though perhaps a slight tendency for warm and sunny. However the cold cyclonic weather which some have suggested in years with a strong vortex only occurred relatively infrequently (1989, 2000 and perhaps 2016). Perhaps two general types do manifest themselves fairly frequently though: warm and sunny, and by contrast, cold and changeable.

Out of interest, I created a set of analogues on the years you chose. If you're onto something, we can expect something like the following:

image.thumb.png.95db7187fa1dc2336f8e1036750a21a2.pngimage.thumb.png.4dbb81730c485cca435d3c42b1043ef6.pngimage.thumb.png.a71fcfe00e9857f071a8b48c21aa8aa3.pngimage.thumb.png.10159a8a61e3374930fab34a44b45c11.png

A very dry and quite mild spring. Probably mild, dry and sunny in March though with some chilly nights and perhaps the risk of some cooler continental spells bringing some fog. Remaining dry, perhaps very dry in April though I'd argue closer to normal as the trough over Europe would probably give at least one or two cold northerly episodes. Maybe even rather chilly at times, like a milder version of last year. May looks very warm there and probably a very dry month again away from the far north. Probably poised to give at least one or two hot spells; Overall a very anticyclonic and quite mild spring in that analogue. Of course it's just for fun based on your observations.

Edited by LetItSnow!
    • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
    14 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Out of interest, I created a set of analogues on the years you chose. If you're onto something, we can expect something like the following:

image.thumb.png.95db7187fa1dc2336f8e1036750a21a2.pngimage.thumb.png.4dbb81730c485cca435d3c42b1043ef6.pngimage.thumb.png.a71fcfe00e9857f071a8b48c21aa8aa3.pngimage.thumb.png.10159a8a61e3374930fab34a44b45c11.png

A very dry and quite mild spring. Probably mild, dry and sunny in March though with some chilly nights and perhaps the risk of some cooler continental spells bringing some fog. Remaining dry, perhaps very dry in April though I'd argue closer to normal as the trough over Europe would probably give at least one or two cold northerly episodes. Maybe even rather chilly at times, like a milder version of last year. May looks very warm there and probably a very dry month again away from the far north. Probably poised to give at least one or two hot spells; Overall a very anticyclonic and quite mild spring in that analogue. Of course it's just for fun based on your observations.

Many thanks for that. I notice 1990 was missing from your set, but that would make it even warmer and sunnier I suspect!

Posted

Just a wild guess at this stage, but here's my prediction. 

What I would like to happen : early to mid March feeling cold and cloudy, with the threat of snow showers or periods of cold and damp conditions. Some clear sunny days, with frosty nights.

Mid month to the close, average or slightly milder conditions with dry sunny spells and warm in the sunshine. Nights will still be on the cold side.

April, a repeat of 2020, with a few wet and cool days. Nights will be warmer at times, but still cold enough for some frost.

May, a mix of 2020 and 2021, but with a cool damp start, and a warm sunny second half with long dry spells. 

What I think will happen(playing devil's advocate here) March : Unsettled and cold with longer periods of wet and windy weather, on and off until the final week. Turning drier and slightly milder with sunny spells, but still feeling chilly out of the sun.

April: rinse and repeat. Similar to March, with a wet and windy first half and feeling cold. Second half damp and wet with a warmer feel, maybe even turning humid and thundery.

May : Warm muggy and cloudy, with longer spells of rain. It will be a mix of humid and cool or cold days underneath all the cloud and rain. A dismal month, but not as cold as May 2021. Will turn sunny and hot in the last few days of the month, into the first week of June. 

Storms will break out during the bank holiday thursday and friday in the first week. 

One plus side, will be the thunderstorms lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing cold snowy winters & unsettled summers.
    8 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Many thanks for that. I notice 1990 was missing from your set, but that would make it even warmer and sunnier I suspect!

For March and May I suppose but probably not April. April 1990 wasn't particularly warm, very cold start only offset by a warm end.

Posted
    39 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

For March and May I suppose but probably not April. April 1990 wasn't particularly warm, very cold start only offset by a warm end.

Would be happy to see a May akin to 1990. Remember it brought a significant warm ending. Also wasn't the start of the month very warm as well. Don't remember much about the April. March felt a hang over of the winter very mild and dry in SE wetter further NW but not as wet. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
    15 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Yes, fair enough. I'm surprised May comes out so anticyclonic on your mean charts, as we had some fairly unsettled ones there (1997 mid-month, 2000 in second half, 2007, 2014).

Posted
    14 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Would be happy to see a May akin to 1990. Remember it brought a significant warm ending. Also wasn't the start of the month very warm as well. Don't remember much about the April. March felt a hang over of the winter very mild and dry in SE wetter further NW but not as wet. 

Don't remember late May 1990 being warm, in fact I seem to remember it was rather cloudy and cool the last few days  - however it was very warm, even hot, and sunny at the start (possibly the hottest early May weather I'd experienced) and also warm and sunny at times for the rest of the month.

I'd be happy enough to see an April like 1990 in general, although the date of Easter this year is very similar, and the only really unsettled weather coincided with Easter - so wouldn't be so happy to see that aspect! There were five phases IIRC: a coldish northerly regime in the first week (but bright), a sunny second week with fairly average temperatures, a cold unsettled Easter, warmish easterlies with a little instability at times, and then very warm and sunny last few days.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
    21 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Just a wild guess at this stage, but here's my prediction. 

What I would like to happen : early to mid March feeling cold and cloudy, with the threat of snow showers or periods of cold and damp conditions. Some clear sunny days, with frosty nights.

Mid month to the close, average or slightly milder conditions with dry sunny spells and warm in the sunshine. Nights will still be on the cold side.

April, a repeat of 2020, with a few wet and cool days. Nights will be warmer at times, but still cold enough for some frost.

May, a mix of 2020 and 2021, but with a cool damp start, and a warm sunny second half with long dry spells. 

What I think will happen(playing devil's advocate here) March : Unsettled and cold with longer periods of wet and windy weather, on and off until the final week. Turning drier and slightly milder with sunny spells, but still feeling chilly out of the sun.

April: rinse and repeat. Similar to March, with a wet and windy first half and feeling cold. Second half damp and wet with a warmer feel, maybe even turning humid and thundery.

May : Warm muggy and cloudy, with longer spells of rain. It will be a mix of humid and cool or cold days underneath all the cloud and rain. A dismal month, but not as cold as May 2021. Will turn sunny and hot in the last few days of the month, into the first week of June. 

Storms will break out during the bank holiday thursday and friday in the first week. 

One plus side, will be the thunderstorms lol.

I'd say your 'like to happen' is more likely to be the truth IMO based on my own feelings. The exception is that I'm expecting March to be mild or warm throughout,  bar the occasional northerly plunge.

Your second prediction sounds like the spring from hell; if that were to happen, it would be the worst spring for many, many years, probably since 1983. I think we have to go back to before 1975 to find a year when Feb, March, April and May were all dull and wet, and poor springs generally follow cold Februaries (the two worst recently, 1983 and 1986, certainly did). Not even 2012 was that bad!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

March - Suspect zonal N/S split will reverse mid month with blocking to the north of the UK and a trough to the south. Cooler and wetter than average overall.

April - Suspect Atlantic High, Scandi Trough pattern with low pressure frequently over or just of the UK. Cooler and wetter than average.

May - Suspect a month of two halves with blocking to the west/Azores in the first half of the month (cool and showery) before pressure builds east of the UK in the second half. Cooler and drier than average overall.

June - Atlantic High, Scandi Low pattern. Cooler and wetter than average.

Q2 looks on the basis of analogue guidance to be a little bit cooler than average and probably wetter. Signs that it may be a sandwich though with the worst of any weather in cool and wet terms being in and around April and possibly a summery spell towards late May.

June starts summer on a cool and cyclonic note for the UK.

Posted
    28 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Don't remember late May 1990 being warm, in fact I seem to remember it was rather cloudy and cool the last few days  - however it was very warm, even hot, and sunny at the start (possibly the hottest early May weather I'd experienced) and also warm and sunny at times for the rest of the month.

I'd be happy enough to see an April like 1990 in general, although the date of Easter this year is very similar, and the only really unsettled weather coincided with Easter - so wouldn't be so happy to see that aspect! There were five phases IIRC: a coldish northerly regime in the first week (but bright), a sunny second week with fairly average temperatures, a cold unsettled Easter, warmish easterlies with a little instability at times, and then very warm and sunny last few days.

Ah mixing up the May Bank Holiday and the whit one. Mixing up 1990 and 1992!

Posted
    4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I'd say your 'like to happen' is more likely to be the truth IMO based on my own feelings. The exception is that I'm expecting March to be mild or warm throughout,  bar the occasional northerly plunge.

Your second prediction sounds like the spring from hell; if that were to happen, it would be the worst spring for many, many years, probably since 1983. I think we have to go back to before 1975 to find a year when Feb, March, April and May were all dull and wet, and poor springs generally follow cold Februaries (the two worst recently, 1983 and 1986, certainly did). Not even 2012 was that bad!

I hope my second option doesn’t come true, but I have a sneaking suspicion we will pay for the dry January and early February, and drier than average winter on the whole.

If we have a rotten spring, maybe, just maybe we will be rewarded by a warm sunny August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
    On 22/02/2022 at 19:16, Sunny76 said:

I hope my second option doesn’t come true, but I have a sneaking suspicion we will pay for the dry January and early February, and drier than average winter on the whole.

If we have a rotten spring, maybe, just maybe we will be rewarded by a warm sunny August.

I think August 2016 was decent. I would be happy to have another one like that this year. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
    17 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I think August 2016 was decent. I would be happy to have another one like that this year. 

Just as long as we don't have to endure a June 2016 as well. But yes, Aug 2016 was perhaps one of only two Augusts since 2006 that I would class as decently summery, the other being 2013.

Still think a warm spring is much more likely than a warm August (just because that is the norm) with the most likely times for unsettled weather being early March (a continuation of the current rampant zonality) or sometime in April (perhaps a late cold cyclonic spell, seen in some analogues to this year).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
    23 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

March - Suspect zonal N/S split will reverse mid month with blocking to the north of the UK and a trough to the south. Cooler and wetter than average overall.

April - Suspect Atlantic High, Scandi Trough pattern with low pressure frequently over or just of the UK. Cooler and wetter than average.

May - Suspect a month of two halves with blocking to the west/Azores in the first half of the month (cool and showery) before pressure builds east of the UK in the second half. Cooler and drier than average overall.

June - Atlantic High, Scandi Low pattern. Cooler and wetter than average.

Q2 looks on the basis of analogue guidance to be a little bit cooler than average and probably wetter. Signs that it may be a sandwich though with the worst of any weather in cool and wet terms being in and around April and possibly a summery spell towards late May.

June starts summer on a cool and cyclonic note for the UK.

Aside from May that's a grim outlook, hope that doesn't come off.

Which analogues are you considering incidentally? I'm finding (as discussed above) the past 30 years have a tendency for warm and dry on the whole following extremely zonal late winter spells, but I haven't considered anything before that. The only one from 1978-88 I can think of was 1980 (and not sure that was strongly-zonal, I think the second half of Feb 1980 was mild but dry) and that produced a cold wet March but warm dry April and May.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

My thoughts are (partly based on a late breakup of the PV):

March - a half way house between this January/first half of Feb and last week's weather. Could be an anticyclone sandwich with another Atlantic period in the middle third like last year. Any attempt at cold in the first half more likely to be nagging and nuisance value than anything of note. Perhaps a good springlike spell in the final third.

April - more settled first half of the month, trending more unsettled later in the month with increased chance of northerlies or southerly tracking lows bringing the notoriously grim wet easterly.

May - generally cool and wet with synoptics similar to those of August 2014 / September 2017; improving later in the month with the first hot spell coinciding with when the late Bank Holiday should normally be.

June - potentially a lag of a naff May with not particularly summery conditions during the first half of the month, but a much more favourable summer base state establishing in the second half of the month.