Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glorious March 2012 spell - 10 years on

SummerShower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Its coming up to 10 years since this glorious spell of weather.

From around the 22nd to 30th March much of the country enjoyed the best spell of March weather in a generation.  8 days exceeded 20C (22nd to 29th), with 6 of these (24th to 29th) reaching 22C or more somewhere in the UK.

Aboyne topped the table with 23.6C on the 27th.

It's true that individual March days (eg 30th last year) exceeded this value, but this was just one day. 

I remember half marathon training for my first ever race and remember overheating on some runs.. now that doenst often happen this early in the year.

What are people's memories/thoughts on this spell of weather?  I think given how bad the summer that year was, this clearly is the standout 'good' weather event that year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It was a really good spell of a weather, I was doing my A-Levels around this time and remember revising in the garden whilst sunbathing. Only time I’ve ever got a tan in March!

The week after however ushered in the worst few months of weather I can remember, we went for blazing warm sunshine to snow in just a week. 

• Like 1

Posted

Remember it well felt summer like. Remember seeing people sunbathing and feeling the heat on the fells. I commented on how a rapid turn of events took place as April arrived there followed possibly the worst 5 month spell for warm sunny calm weather that I can remember time of year. Only late May 12 delivered a fine warm spell otherwise a shocker of a period..

The current synoptics bare similiarities with late March 12 hope not an omen for what's to come. Always nervous when early warmth lasts in mid March to late April period we've been bitten for it a number of times 2007 and 2011 and 2012 good examples poor summers followed. There are resemblances to 2020 though..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One of the best spells of weather I’ve ever experienced. Driving to Hunstanton, there was even a couple of bush fires by the road, it was that dry, and hosepipe bans I recall were in place locally. 
By the sea, there was not even a breath of wind, almost like the doldrums and 22-23c. 
The rest was history. A week later ushered in what was to be the wettest summer on record and one of the most miserable Aprils I’ve ever experienced. 
The only saving grace was late May of 2012 too, which was utterly gorgeous. Shame it only lasted a week. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

2012 ,yes infamous for a summer of continuous rain and many eposodes of flooding. Remember going camping to Rhayader in beautiful  mid-Wales during July. It normally takes about two hours to get there if you don't stop. But the day we set off , we had flash flooding so we nearly didn't make it as we had so many diversions because a lot of roads were flooded and it took us well over 4 hours to get there! When we did finally arrive we checked in at a B&B for the night ,it was too late to put a tent up and too wet! The following morning we went down to the campsite by the River Wye which was in flood. There was a scooter festival on and the campsite was virtually full of die hard campers! We got out of my van and as we walked the ground squelched beneath our feet! That was enough for us and seeing the mud the other campers were in ,we decided to check back in to our cozy Bed and Breakfast for another couple of nights! Having said that the weekend saw good dry weather with some sunshine ,so it turned out a lovely weekend. We were definitely fair weather campers! 

September was a good month espicially the first 3 weeks as I was painting the outside of my parents house and got most of it done by the time the rains arrived late September again. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Outside the first few days the entire month was stupidly sunny here in Leeds (sunniest on record I think). It was a month that ruined me for all other March's (even 13) in that I now favour a warm March over a cold one (or rather a sunny one).

Essentially the middle third of the month featured a dominant Azores Low and UK high which was then pushed into Europe producing southerlies (the dominant pattern of July 06).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Remember it well felt summer like. Remember seeing people sunbathing and feeling the heat on the fells. I commented on how a rapid turn of events took place as April arrived there followed possibly the worst 5 month spell for warm sunny calm weather that I can remember time of year. Only late May 12 delivered a fine warm spell otherwise a shocker of a period..

The current synoptics bare similiarities with late March 12 hope not an omen for what's to come. Always nervous when early warmth lasts in mid March to late April period we've been bitten for it a number of times 2007 and 2011 and 2012 good examples poor summers followed. There are resemblances to 2020 though..

The weather this month could be seen coming from a mile off-

This was the musing back a couple of months ago. 

As for where we go from here, there is a weaker signal through the summer months but there is a consistent theme across the longer range modelling that the trough won't be too far away. CFS seems to want it just to the west or southwest of the UK...perhaps warm and wet. At present there is no strong signal for anomalous HP in our vicinity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I for one do not want to see another March 2012,not when March becomes the best month of the entire year.The glorious March ended here with snow in early April followed by rain,rain,rain and rain for the rest of the year ,some horrific downpours here,one after the other giving one of the wettest years on record.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I remember this month, mostly the second-half, very well. I had just turned 11. For some reason I remember the 17th very well, it was the only wet day of the month and I seem to remember thunder symbols in the forecast though I don't believe that happened. I more remember personal events of late-March 2012 but the weather I do recall being remarkably beautiful. My mother had a girly trip to Devon then Bath during this spell and took lots of pictures and every one had blue skies and loads of colour - late-February 2012 had seen very mild weather so I think nature was quite ahead. I remember hearing someone on the phone saying they were stuck in a gridlocked traffic and how hot it was in the car. As we know, it was not to last. I seem to remember April 2012 much more with its very wet and thundery nature - indeed a month I'm fonder of for memory and weather. The start of a year and two months of cold weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 19/03/2022 at 20:58, LetItSnow! said:

I remember this month, mostly the second-half, very well. I had just turned 11. For some reason I remember the 17th very well, it was the only wet day of the month and I seem to remember thunder symbols in the forecast though I don't believe that happened. I more remember personal events of late-March 2012 but the weather I do recall being remarkably beautiful. My mother had a girly trip to Devon then Bath during this spell and took lots of pictures and every one had blue skies and loads of colour - late-February 2012 had seen very mild weather so I think nature was quite ahead. I remember hearing someone on the phone saying they were stuck in a gridlocked traffic and how hot it was in the car. As we know, it was not to last. I seem to remember April 2012 much more with its very wet and thundery nature - indeed a month I'm fonder of for memory and weather. The start of a year and two months of cold weather.

You're right - there was thunder here on the 17th with the passing of a front. Indeed it was the only wet day after the initial wet spell earlier in the month. Here at least it separated the largely unremarkable settled weather in the first half of the month with the much sunnier and progressively warmer weather of the second half.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

You're right - there was thunder here on the 17th with the passing of a front. Indeed it was the only wet day after the initial wet spell earlier in the month. Here at least it separated the largely unremarkable settled weather in the first half of the month with the much sunnier and progressively warmer weather of the second half.

I knew my memory didn't lie! I was dragged out shopping that day and I seem to remember it feeling very mild, but quite ominious, dark leaden skies. I had a big fear of thunderstorms at the time so I was on edge that day! The charts show very mild air over us on the 16th which cleared through the 17th leaving back in the greens by the 18th. Makes sense there was thundery activity considering the atmosphere was very mild, lots of moisture! NW Kent must have escaped the storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Even the May of 2012 was largely excellent. But then June came and the weather became absolutely diabolical right up until the last week of July, when it turned much warmer. August 2012 was then pretty reasonable with plenty of warm and sunny weather down here. 

Edited by danm

Posted
9 minutes ago, danm said:

Even the April and May of 2012 were largely excellent. Bu then June came and the weather became absolutely diabolical right up until the last week of July, when it turned much warmer. August 2012 was then pretty reasonable with plenty of warm and sunny weather down here. 

April 2012 was one of the wettest on record and quite cool. Your thinking of late May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

April 2012 was one of the wettest on record and quite cool. Your thinking of late May.

Yes you're right, it was the May, not April. Post corrected. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Summer 2012 did achieve some very warm days towards the end of July and around early-mid August so it wasn't completely devoid of shorts and tshirt weather but overall in between it was certainly poor. Of course July 2013 was a stunning month if you like heat and prolonged sunshine but was a one trick pony as the June and August of that year didn't have any notable heat to be remembered by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

If it weren’t for the 22nd-30th May, we would’ve gone all the way from late March to late July with no fine weather! May up until that point was very poor indeed.

• Like 1

Posted

The current synoptics do resemble March - April 2012. A week of warm sunny weather to rain and cold. 10 years from the event, you couldn't make it up. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I remember that spell of weather really well. It was an absolute glorious spell. Think the heat started properly for us on the 25th March with a high of 20.2.C but even before then we had plenty sunny and dry days with maximum temperature regularly in the low/mid teens. The heat peaked on the 27th with a high of 21.7.C. I remember being out and everyone sunbathing and remember one woman saying how “this is the start of the summer” it then transformed into the complete opposite in a flash. The 3rd of April brought some really heavy snow and it was only 2.C maximum with a biting wind. The rest of April was extremely cool and wet I can’t recall any days where it was warm or sunny it was always very showery with hail and windy. With the odd bit of brightness. May continued the same for the most part but did improve with a glorious warm spell at the end. That summer will go down as probably the worst ever and I hope we never get another summer that bad again, constant dull, wet and at times even cold weather. It wasn’t until about the middle of august where we got some resemblance of summer with a couple of warm dry days in the 20’s in a row. I do remember September that year being very nice but cold. 

I always think that any good spring weather for a long time transforms into a poor summer. 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 all had prolonged, warm, settled weather and all gave a poor summer. Whereas colder springs such as 2013 and 2021 have given glorious summers.

Posted
5 hours ago, Harry233 said:

I remember that spell of weather really well. It was an absolute glorious spell. Think the heat started properly for us on the 25th March with a high of 20.2.C but even before then we had plenty sunny and dry days with maximum temperature regularly in the low/mid teens. The heat peaked on the 27th with a high of 21.7.C. I remember being out and everyone sunbathing and remember one woman saying how “this is the start of the summer” it then transformed into the complete opposite in a flash. The 3rd of April brought some really heavy snow and it was only 2.C maximum with a biting wind. The rest of April was extremely cool and wet I can’t recall any days where it was warm or sunny it was always very showery with hail and windy. With the odd bit of brightness. May continued the same for the most part but did improve with a glorious warm spell at the end. That summer will go down as probably the worst ever and I hope we never get another summer that bad again, constant dull, wet and at times even cold weather. It wasn’t until about the middle of august where we got some resemblance of summer with a couple of warm dry days in the 20’s in a row. I do remember September that year being very nice but cold. 

I always think that any good spring weather for a long time transforms into a poor summer. 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 all had prolonged, warm, settled weather and all gave a poor summer. Whereas colder springs such as 2013 and 2021 have given glorious summers.

Add 2007 to that list as well. Going further back 1987 as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

And don't forget the late Easter heatwave....81f everyone thought that this would continue through the Summsr

Posted
On 04/04/2022 at 17:31, damianslaw said:

Add 2007 to that list as well. Going further back 1987 as well.

Oh yes. I actually forgot about 2007, still no summer could compare to 2012. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

March was warmer and sunnier than April that year.