Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

1976 ..... how?

mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
33 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Not sure how many of you will have seen last night's Ch 5 offering 'Heatwave, the Summer of 1976'. An absolute classic for those of us old enough to remember hosepipe bans, dried-up rivers and the Minister for Drought! 90 minutes of pure nostalgia. I hope it will be repeated sometime. 

I watched it last night. I was born in 78 . Mum and Dad have always banged on about 76 . Until last night I really did not take it as serious as it was . I truly remarkable spell of weather . How ironic that it didn't stop raining when it ended

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

I watched it last night. I was born in 78 . Mum and Dad have always banged on about 76 . Until last night I really did not take it as serious as it was . I truly remarkable spell of weather . How ironic that it didn't stop raining when it ended

Just shows... we've been having these long dry periods followed by long wet periods for many many years.

I found it a very interesting programme. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Got it to watch on catch up! I was born in July 76 and my Mother likes to remind me often , carrying a 10lb 2oz baby (as i turned out) about that summer was no fun! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Even up where I worked outdoors in the Central Highlands for a student Summer job it was remarkable. The deepest and long lasting tan that I have ever had. Remember the soles of my doc martens starting to melt on the stones down by the river. The change in early September was also spectacular with lasting snow arriving in the Cairngorms at the earliest ever recorded date. I left home for a camping holiday with a temp of around 28C at the beginning of Sept and just a few days later woke up to sleet and slush on the tent up the hill from Aviemore.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 19/06/2022 at 17:06, A Face like Thunder said:

Not sure how many of you will have seen last night's Ch 5 offering 'Heatwave, the Summer of 1976'. An absolute classic for those of us old enough to remember hosepipe bans, dried-up rivers and the Minister for Drought! 90 minutes of pure nostalgia. I hope it will be repeated sometime. 

The programme 'Heatwave - the Summer of 1976' is being repeated tonight at 10pm on Ch 5. A must-see if you've not already seen it or of a certain age, or you just want to see how we coped in the hottest summer in modern history.

• Thanks 2

Posted
13 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

The programme 'Heatwave - the Summer of 1976' is being repeated tonight at 10pm on Ch 5. A must-see if you've not already seen it or of a certain age, or you just want to see how we coped in the hottest summer in modern history.

With some of the current model output, I wonder if there will be a programme in the next 12 months titled 'Extreme unprecedented heatwave - July 2022'?! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
13 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

We coped just like we did in 1995

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my lifetime I recall summer (May-September in my definition) 2003 being mostly sunny and warm and August being hot and sunny.

2004-05 I think we're quite mixed bags but I certainly seem to remember some wet spells especially in 2004.

2006 was a good summer particularly in June and July that year. August was more so-so and typical British fair. Sunshine and showers, cool to warmish.

2007 I recall as really bad. My final day of school (Year10) in July was an absolute washout and I remember well walking home that day. I don't recall that being a good summer at all.

2008 I can't remember very well. I don't think it was too good though.

2009 was an improvement but still mixed bag. I do recall a few decent spells of hot weather though, maybe in May and July as I remember.

2010 and 11 kind of follow a similar track to 09. Mixed.

2012 BAD.

Ah man let's just admit we have about the most unpredictable climate on planet Earth lol. But we love it!